Michael

Default Ping-Dan

Ready for the shiso seeds?

Musashi

"Michael" > wrote in message =
> Ready for the shiso seeds?
>=20

Michael, are you sending Dan green shiso seeds?
I'm in New York and my green shiso has reached the end for the year.
I managed to get a few small leaves but they are tough enough now
that I had to shred them for use with my Hirame and Katsuo the
last two days. This afternoon my wife will remove the tops and
make shio-zuke with the seeds.

Musashi

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

"Michael" > wrote in message
> Ready for the shiso seeds?

Michael, are you sending Dan green shiso seeds?

Yes, need any?

I'm in New York and my green shiso has reached the end for the year.

Yea, mine are going to the brown, "making seed" stage of life. I live on a
farm in piedmont NC so I have a few areas where I let the shiso go wild.
I'll be havesting seed this weekend. The plants are all from seeds
purchased in Kyoto about five or six years ago (how my time w/ Itochu seems
to dim) at a garden store there.

I managed to get a few small leaves but they are tough enough now
that I had to shred them for use with my Hirame and Katsuo the
last two days. This afternoon my wife will remove the tops and
make shio-zuke with the seeds.

Musashi

Musashi

"Michael" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
>=20
> "Michael" > wrote in message
> > Ready for the shiso seeds?
> >

>=20
> Michael, are you sending Dan green shiso seeds?
>=20
> Yes, need any?

LOL. Mine have grown outside the garden and are all over the place =
including
the lawn.=20
>=20
> I'm in New York and my green shiso has reached the end for the year.
>=20
> Yea, mine are going to the brown, "making seed" stage of life. I live =

on a
> farm in piedmont NC so I have a few areas where I let the shiso go =

wild.
> I'll be havesting seed this weekend. The plants are all from seeds
> purchased in Kyoto about five or six years ago (how my time w/ Itochu =

seems
> to dim) at a garden store there.
>=20

Oh that's nice. Mine are from from Hyogo-ken so they are probably =
related to yours.
I brought them back 5 years ago, and every year they naturally grow.

BTW, I have finally succeed in growing Myoga here in NY, although the =
deer target the
leaves and stems. Also for the first time in 5 years the deer have been =
"nibbling" at my shiso.=20

Musashi

Musashi
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> LOL. Mine have grown outside the garden and are all over the place including
> the lawn.

The red shiso I had overtook anything that in the 2' X 2' planter box. It also
spread out into the lawn, but got mowed away. I found a seedling about 75' away
from the box.

> BTW, I have finally succeed in growing Myoga here in NY, although the deer target the
> leaves and stems. Also for the first time in 5 years the deer have been "nibbling" at my shiso.

That's funny. I had less problems with Japanese beetles eating the shiso this
year.. but never deer or other animals.

--
Dan

Michael

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>
> > LOL. Mine have grown outside the garden and are all over the place

including
> > the lawn.

As stated before we live on a farm and the free ranging chickens do a
number on the shiso. Two patches are out of their area and are doing well
but the patches within their roaming area are simply sticks w/o leaves or
seeds. Guess I have chickens w/ good taste.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:
>>

>>>LOL. Mine have grown outside the garden and are all over the place
>>>

> including
>
>>>the lawn.
>>>

> As stated before we live on a farm and the free ranging chickens do a
> number on the shiso. Two patches are out of their area and are doing well
> but the patches within their roaming area are simply sticks w/o leaves or
> seeds. Guess I have chickens w/ good taste.

But will the chickens taste good? Will they have a minty-like flavor?

--
Dan

Michael

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> But will the chickens taste good? Will they have a minty-like flavor?

Four went into the freezer this afternoon. We keep four or five roosters
around for Coq au Vin. Just not the same w/o a mature roo. Flock boss is
pushing three and three quarters years now (no other roos are older than
nine months) so I'm not sure what to do w/ him. His spurs are over three
inches long but he is a sweetheart and has NEVER attacked anyone (why he is
still alive, attack a person or another farm animal and a roo dies very
quickly). Guess I'll let him stay around until the calcium in the layer
feeds kills him.

Strange thing but keeping a rooster w/ your hens (normal?) and feeding the
flock layer feed is slowly poisoning your rooster with an excess of calcium.
We're working on this w/ the sustainable ag group at the local ag college.
Is that OT enough for a Sunday afternoon?

Pigs go to the slaughter house tomorrow AM. Smartest domestic animal I've
ever seen. Also one of the tastiest. A pig learns to use a nipple waterer
after one demo, no other animal can even figure one out at all. Let's all
say good bye to Pork Chop and BBQ, two good pigs.

Michael

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> But will the chickens taste good? Will they have a minty-like flavor?

Four went into the freezer this afternoon. We keep four or five roosters
around for Coq au Vin. Just not the same w/o a mature roo. Flock boss is
pushing three and three quarters years now (no other roos are older than
nine months) so I'm not sure what to do w/ him. His spurs are over three
inches long but he is a sweetheart and has NEVER attacked anyone (why he is
still alive, attack a person or another farm animal and a roo dies very
quickly). Guess I'll let him stay around until the calcium in the layer
feeds kills him.

Strange thing but keeping a rooster w/ your hens (normal?) and feeding the
flock layer feed is slowly poisoning your rooster with an excess of calcium.
We're working on this w/ the sustainable ag group at the local ag college.
Is that OT enough for a Sunday afternoon?

Pigs go to the slaughter house tomorrow AM. Smartest domestic animal I've
ever seen. Also one of the tastiest. A pig learns to use a nipple waterer
after one demo, no other animal can even figure one out at all. Let's all
say good bye to Pork Chop and BBQ, two good pigs.

Michael

"Michael" > wrote in message
Let's all
> say good bye to Pork Chop and BBQ, two good pigs.

Bought them mid April at about twenty pounds each. Forty dollars for each
one. Six months later Pork Chop was 290 pounds and BBQ was 190 pounds.
I'll be picking up about 300 pounds of packaged meat on Saturday.

The wife is now walking around calling me heartless.

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Michael wrote:
>=20
> > "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >=20

> > including
> >=20
> >>>

> > As stated before we live on a farm and the free ranging chickens =

do a
> > number on the shiso. Two patches are out of their area and are =

doing well
> > but the patches within their roaming area are simply sticks w/o =

leaves or
> > seeds. Guess I have chickens w/ good taste.

>=20
> But will the chickens taste good? Will they have a minty-like flavor?
>=20
> --=20
> Dan

Sometimes I roast a whole young chicken stuffed (read : packed) with =
mint leaves.
It produces a a very tasty moist succulent bird with a faint taste of =
mint.
Perhaps next summer I will experiment with a shiso stuffed bird.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Michael" > wrote in message
> Let's all
>
>>say good bye to Pork Chop and BBQ, two good pigs.
>>

> Bought them mid April at about twenty pounds each. Forty dollars for each
> one. Six months later Pork Chop was 290 pounds and BBQ was 190 pounds.
> I'll be picking up about 300 pounds of packaged meat on Saturday.

What's it cost to feed them for six months? So far, I see $80 spent.
Assuming an average $3/lb for pork, you could realize a $700+ savings
or profit.

> The wife is now walking around calling me heartless.

But she'll eat the meat, right?

--
Dan

Michael

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> > "Michael" > wrote in message
> > Let's all
> >
> >>say good bye to Pork Chop and BBQ, two good pigs.
> >>

> > Bought them mid April at about twenty pounds each. Forty dollars for

each
> > one. Six months later Pork Chop was 290 pounds and BBQ was 190 pounds.
> > I'll be picking up about 300 pounds of packaged meat on Saturday.

> What's it cost to feed them for six months? So far, I see $80 spent.
> Assuming an average $3/lb for pork, you could realize a $700+ savings
> or profit.

Really don't save much if any money. Feed is about $100 (for both girls)
for the six months + table and garden scraps. Also the fifty bucks worth of
beer they had in the last month (ala Kobe beef). Basically I know EXCACTLY
what went into these girls. The walks to the barn each morning and
afternoon weren't too bad except during the hurricaines when I came back
looking like a drowned rat. Mine is a hobby farm so profit isn't really
necessary but extremely high quality is not only possible but required.
Getting the two girls into the trailer was much more interesting than I
wished. I spent three hours Sunday afternoon trying to do it by myself. My
eighty five year old uncle came over Monday AM, made a few changes (pigs
won't climb a ramp w/ holes..who knew) and had them in the trailer in less
than ten minutes.

Foie gras is something else we produce for our own consumption. There are
only two foie gras farms in the US and strangely the way I learned to
make/force foie gras was from the PETA website. We only make four or five
livers per year (not a real heart friendly product) but very much enjoy
them.

> > The wife is now walking around calling me heartless.

> But she'll eat the meat, right?

Oh yes, she'll eat them up. But...I can put her off it by saying something
like "doesn't BBQ (name of a pig) taste good w/ gravy?". My youngest
daughter has never had a problem with eating our animals but my oldest is
almost a vegan...teenagers, what can I say. The youngest is twelve so all
this will change next year when she becomes the lost group of
people...teenagers.

The eggs from our free range chickens are so good I couldn't change the
family back to grocery store stuff now but eating one of the hens is
difficult for everyone. Makes great chicken and dumplings but knowing it is
one of the hens that runs to meet you in the afternoon while walking the
dog, well I don't think many people could not say a little prayer before
digging in. Hens go into the pot when they stop laying, it's a farm not a
resthome.

Michael

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> > "Michael" > wrote in message
> > Let's all
> >
> >>say good bye to Pork Chop and BBQ, two good pigs.
> >>

> > Bought them mid April at about twenty pounds each. Forty dollars for

each
> > one. Six months later Pork Chop was 290 pounds and BBQ was 190 pounds.
> > I'll be picking up about 300 pounds of packaged meat on Saturday.

> What's it cost to feed them for six months? So far, I see $80 spent.
> Assuming an average $3/lb for pork, you could realize a $700+ savings
> or profit.

Really don't save much if any money. Feed is about $100 (for both girls)
for the six months + table and garden scraps. Also the fifty bucks worth of
beer they had in the last month (ala Kobe beef). Basically I know EXCACTLY
what went into these girls. The walks to the barn each morning and
afternoon weren't too bad except during the hurricaines when I came back
looking like a drowned rat. Mine is a hobby farm so profit isn't really
necessary but extremely high quality is not only possible but required.
Getting the two girls into the trailer was much more interesting than I
wished. I spent three hours Sunday afternoon trying to do it by myself. My
eighty five year old uncle came over Monday AM, made a few changes (pigs
won't climb a ramp w/ holes..who knew) and had them in the trailer in less
than ten minutes.

Foie gras is something else we produce for our own consumption. There are
only two foie gras farms in the US and strangely the way I learned to
make/force foie gras was from the PETA website. We only make four or five
livers per year (not a real heart friendly product) but very much enjoy
them.

> > The wife is now walking around calling me heartless.

> But she'll eat the meat, right?

Oh yes, she'll eat them up. But...I can put her off it by saying something
like "doesn't BBQ (name of a pig) taste good w/ gravy?". My youngest
daughter has never had a problem with eating our animals but my oldest is
almost a vegan...teenagers, what can I say. The youngest is twelve so all
this will change next year when she becomes the lost group of
people...teenagers.

The eggs from our free range chickens are so good I couldn't change the
family back to grocery store stuff now but eating one of the hens is
difficult for everyone. Makes great chicken and dumplings but knowing it is
one of the hens that runs to meet you in the afternoon while walking the
dog, well I don't think many people could not say a little prayer before
digging in. Hens go into the pot when they stop laying, it's a farm not a
resthome.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Michael wrote:
>>

>>>"Michael" > wrote in message
>>> Let's all

>>>Bought them mid April at about twenty pounds each. Forty dollars for
>>>

> each
>
>>>one. Six months later Pork Chop was 290 pounds and BBQ was 190 pounds.
>>>I'll be picking up about 300 pounds of packaged meat on Saturday.
>>>

>>What's it cost to feed them for six months? So far, I see $80 spent.
>>Assuming an average $3/lb for pork, you could realize a $700+ savings
>>or profit.
>>

> Really don't save much if any money. Feed is about $100 (for both girls)
> for the six months + table and garden scraps. Also the fifty bucks worth of
> beer they had in the last month (ala Kobe beef).

I go thru $50 in beer a month.. I guess I'm Kobe Dan. What's the beer do
for the pigs?

> Foie gras is something else we produce for our own consumption. There are
> only two foie gras farms in the US and strangely the way I learned to
> make/force foie gras was from the PETA website. We only make four or five
> livers per year (not a real heart friendly product) but very much enjoy
> them.

PETA! WHo thought they could be useful.

> The eggs from our free range chickens are so good I couldn't change the
> family back to grocery store stuff now but eating one of the hens is
> difficult for everyone. Makes great chicken and dumplings but knowing it is
> one of the hens that runs to meet you in the afternoon while walking the
> dog, well I don't think many people could not say a little prayer before
> digging in. Hens go into the pot when they stop laying, it's a farm not a
> resthome.

My best egg memory is from my cousin's house in Holland. They had several
egg laying chickens and we'd go out each day to find them. The were the best
tasting eggs I've ever had.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Michael wrote:
>>

>>>"Michael" > wrote in message
>>> Let's all

>>>Bought them mid April at about twenty pounds each. Forty dollars for
>>>

> each
>
>>>one. Six months later Pork Chop was 290 pounds and BBQ was 190 pounds.
>>>I'll be picking up about 300 pounds of packaged meat on Saturday.
>>>

>>What's it cost to feed them for six months? So far, I see $80 spent.
>>Assuming an average $3/lb for pork, you could realize a $700+ savings
>>or profit.
>>

> Really don't save much if any money. Feed is about $100 (for both girls)
> for the six months + table and garden scraps. Also the fifty bucks worth of
> beer they had in the last month (ala Kobe beef).

I go thru $50 in beer a month.. I guess I'm Kobe Dan. What's the beer do
for the pigs?

> Foie gras is something else we produce for our own consumption. There are
> only two foie gras farms in the US and strangely the way I learned to
> make/force foie gras was from the PETA website. We only make four or five
> livers per year (not a real heart friendly product) but very much enjoy
> them.

PETA! WHo thought they could be useful.

> The eggs from our free range chickens are so good I couldn't change the
> family back to grocery store stuff now but eating one of the hens is
> difficult for everyone. Makes great chicken and dumplings but knowing it is
> one of the hens that runs to meet you in the afternoon while walking the
> dog, well I don't think many people could not say a little prayer before
> digging in. Hens go into the pot when they stop laying, it's a farm not a
> resthome.

My best egg memory is from my cousin's house in Holland. They had several
egg laying chickens and we'd go out each day to find them. The were the best
tasting eggs I've ever had.

--
Dan

Michael

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> > "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Michael wrote:
> > > Really don't save much if any money. Feed is about $100 (for both

girls)
> > for the six months + table and garden scraps. Also the fifty bucks

worth of
> > beer they had in the last month (ala Kobe beef).

> I go thru $50 in beer a month.. I guess I'm Kobe Dan. What's the beer do
> for the pigs?

Adds a special taste due to the maltose in beer. Only malted items have
that type sugar (far as I know anyway). Know for sure that the pigs are a
happy bunch that last month. They get a quart apiece each evening for at
least the last three weeks on earth. Finding someone who will process pigs
is getting more difficult each year.

> > Foie gras is something else we produce for our own consumption. There

are
> > only two foie gras farms in the US and strangely the way I learned to
> > make/force foie gras was from the PETA website. We only make four or

five
> > livers per year (not a real heart friendly product) but very much enjoy
> > them.

> PETA! WHo thought they could be useful.

And they didn't even answer my email thanking them for their help and
education.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>

>>PETA! WHo thought they could be useful.
>>

> And they didn't even answer my email thanking them for their help and
> education.

HA HA! Sore loser!

--
Dan

Ping sf Janet B General Cooking 2 16-03-2015 07:05 PM
Ping: Ya BUM kilikini General Cooking 4 20-07-2007 08:33 PM
Ping sf:Where are you? Christine Dabney General Cooking 8 07-02-2007 02:53 AM
PING: ANYONE! MoM General Cooking 18 03-12-2005 02:41 PM