Chris

Default Where to Order?

Does anyone know where I can order fresh, never been frozen, true
bluefin loin, ether maguro or toro, in quantities of 1 or 2 pounds?
This is going to New York.

Thanks

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message
> I would call Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater NJ. It is 20 minutes from

New
> York, and has unfrozen fish all the time.
> "Chris" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know where I can order fresh, never been frozen, true
> > bluefin loin, ether maguro or toro, in quantities of 1 or 2 pounds?
> > This is going to New York.
> >
> > Thanks

I wonder if the Tuna at Mitsuwa or any other Japanese food store is really
"never frozen" though.
I say this because a great majority of tuna that arrives in the fish markets
in Japan arrive in flash frozen
form, the fish being frozen at sea. If the Japanese food stores in the US
are buying tuna airshipped from
Japan then I'd think most of that would have been frozen once.
On the other hand I have seen whole unfrozen tuna caught in local waters in
fish markets in Japan. Also,
if any of the stores in the US are buying from the Tuna fishermen of the US
Northeast (Massachusetts being the
biggest USNE supplier of bluefin, but Long Island amd NJ also) then I guess
that they might be
getting "never frozen" tuna. I do know that in Japan "once frozen" is not
considered detrimental to the texture
or taste.

Tea

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> "Tea" > wrote in message
> > I would call Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater NJ. It is 20 minutes from

> New
> > York, and has unfrozen fish all the time.
> > "Chris" > wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know where I can order fresh, never been frozen, true
> > > bluefin loin, ether maguro or toro, in quantities of 1 or 2 pounds?
> > > This is going to New York.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> I wonder if the Tuna at Mitsuwa or any other Japanese food store is really
> "never frozen" though.
> I say this because a great majority of tuna that arrives in the fish

markets
> in Japan arrive in flash frozen
> form, the fish being frozen at sea. If the Japanese food stores in the US
> are buying tuna airshipped from
> Japan then I'd think most of that would have been frozen once.
> On the other hand I have seen whole unfrozen tuna caught in local waters

in
> fish markets in Japan. Also,
> if any of the stores in the US are buying from the Tuna fishermen of the

US
> Northeast (Massachusetts being the
> biggest USNE supplier of bluefin, but Long Island amd NJ also) then I

guess
> that they might be
> getting "never frozen" tuna. I do know that in Japan "once frozen" is not
> considered detrimental to the texture
> or taste.

Most of their fish is flash frozen. However, the store's annual tuna
festival, they bring in a whole tuna that is NOT flash frozen and cut it up
in front of the crowd (I have photos).
I would check with them- I'm sure they would be able to answer you.

Ariane Jenkins

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:19:36 GMT, Tea > wrote:
Mitsuwa
> Most of their fish is flash frozen. However, the store's annual tuna
> festival, they bring in a whole tuna that is NOT flash frozen and cut it up
> in front of the crowd (I have photos).
> I would check with them- I'm sure they would be able to answer you.

Neat, got a link for those photos? Out of curiousity, when
does this annual tuna festival take place? I'd love to see that in
person. Unfortunately, the closest Mitsuwa is in Chicago, more than
six hours' drive from here.

Ariane

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Tea" > wrote in message
> > > I would call Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater NJ. It is 20 minutes

from
> > New
> > > York, and has unfrozen fish all the time.

> > I wonder if the Tuna at Mitsuwa or any other Japanese food store is

really
> > "never frozen" though.
> > I say this because a great majority of tuna that arrives in the fish

> markets
> > in Japan arrive in flash frozen
> > form, the fish being frozen at sea. If the Japanese food stores in the

US
> > are buying tuna airshipped from
> > Japan then I'd think most of that would have been frozen once.
> > On the other hand I have seen whole unfrozen tuna caught in local waters

> in
> > fish markets in Japan. Also,
> > if any of the stores in the US are buying from the Tuna fishermen of the

> US
> > Northeast (Massachusetts being the
> > biggest USNE supplier of bluefin, but Long Island amd NJ also) then I

> guess
> > that they might be
> > getting "never frozen" tuna. I do know that in Japan "once frozen" is

not
> > considered detrimental to the texture
> > or taste.

> Most of their fish is flash frozen. However, the store's annual tuna
> festival, they bring in a whole tuna that is NOT flash frozen and cut it

up
> in front of the crowd (I have photos).
> I would check with them- I'm sure they would be able to answer you.

That's right..last year they cut up a mediterranean Bluefin.
BTW...this years Maguro Festival is either this or next weekend.

Tea

"Ariane Jenkins" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:19:36 GMT, Tea > wrote:
> Mitsuwa
> > Most of their fish is flash frozen. However, the store's annual tuna
> > festival, they bring in a whole tuna that is NOT flash frozen and cut it

up
> > in front of the crowd (I have photos).
> > I would check with them- I'm sure they would be able to answer you.

> Neat, got a link for those photos? Out of curiousity, when
> does this annual tuna festival take place? I'd love to see that in
> person. Unfortunately, the closest Mitsuwa is in Chicago, more than
> six hours' drive from here.
>
> Ariane

I remember it being in the fall. Get on the Chicago Mitsuwa mailing list,
and you'll get flyers.
I have the pictures on disc. If you'd like, I'll send you some.

Ariane Jenkins

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:40:50 GMT, Tea > wrote:

> I remember it being in the fall. Get on the Chicago Mitsuwa mailing list,
> and you'll get flyers.
> I have the pictures on disc. If you'd like, I'll send you some.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it sounds like I'll either
have to call or show up in person to get on the mailing list...if
they'll send it to Ohio. ;D

the pictures, only if it's no trouble. My address is
munged, but you can use arianej22 at yahoo dot com.

Ariane

Out of Order sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 07-11-2010 10:22 PM
The Order Cornholio General Cooking 198 26-12-2008 10:42 PM
buy ampicillin plate order ampicillin dosing order ampicillinprophylaxis order ampicillin gentamycin order ampicillin dosing orderampicillin agar order ampicillin buy ampicillin acne order ampicillin solutionlb agar plates penicillin order ampicillin [email protected] General Cooking 0 13-03-2008 04:41 AM
Order Leonard Tea 21 17-12-2004 07:16 PM
WSM order is in bbq Barbecue 22 03-03-2004 05:44 PM