Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Fugu again: it doesn't have to be dangerous.

Hello All!

I'm not one of them but those who relish the adventure of eating
Fugu fish will probably bemoan the article in today's NY Times.
This indicates that a Fugu gets its poison by eating bacteria
that contain tetrodotoxin. If Fugu are raised in the absence of
the bacteria they are not poisonous. I suppose the very small
amount of tetrodotoxin that gives a slight tingle to the fish
prepared by the certified Fugu chefs will be missed.

If you want to learn more, go to http://tinyurl.com/4lnp25

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I'm not one of them but those who relish the adventure of eating Fugu
> fish will probably bemoan the article in today's NY Times. This
> indicates that a Fugu gets its poison by eating bacteria that contain
> tetrodotoxin. If Fugu are raised in the absence of the bacteria they are
> not poisonous. I suppose the very small amount of tetrodotoxin that
> gives a slight tingle to the fish prepared by the certified Fugu chefs
> will be missed.

I had non-poisonous fugu before, and I found it rather uninteresting.
It was also a bit tough.. I'm not all for the white fish anyways, though I
like a nice tender piece of hirame from time to time.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 18:07:37 -0400:

>> Hello All!
>>
>> I'm not one of them but those who relish the adventure of
>> eating Fugu fish will probably bemoan the article in today's
>> NY Times. This indicates that a Fugu gets its poison by
>> eating bacteria that contain tetrodotoxin. If Fugu are raised
>> in the absence of the bacteria they are not poisonous. I
>> suppose the very small amount of tetrodotoxin that gives a
>> slight tingle to the fish prepared by the certified Fugu
>> chefs will be missed.

> I had non-poisonous fugu before, and I found it rather
> uninteresting. It was also a bit tough.. I'm not all for the
> white fish anyways, though I like a nice tender piece of
> hirame from time to time.

I guess it must be the tetrodotoxin that does it :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:

> Dan wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 18:07:37 -0400:
>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> I'm not one of them but those who relish the adventure of
>>> eating Fugu fish will probably bemoan the article in today's NY
>>> Times. This indicates that a Fugu gets its poison by
>>> eating bacteria that contain tetrodotoxin. If Fugu are raised
>>> in the absence of the bacteria they are not poisonous. I
>>> suppose the very small amount of tetrodotoxin that gives a
>>> slight tingle to the fish prepared by the certified Fugu
>>> chefs will be missed.

>> I had non-poisonous fugu before, and I found it rather
>> uninteresting. It was also a bit tough.. I'm not all for the white
>> fish anyways, though I like a nice tender piece of
>> hirame from time to time.

> I guess it must be the tetrodotoxin that does it :-)

Tenderizer.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

I've had fugu a hundred times or more (not in Japan though) and it was
always described as non-poisonous farm-raised fugu. In point of fact,
there is no way that I could identify one species of blowfish from
another, but the fugu that I have eaten was consistent in taste and
appearance.

Fugu is typically served as multiple dishes, each a different
preparation. I have eaten the skin in ponzu sauce, the raw meat
sashimi style (very thin pieces to reduce or almost eliminate that
chewiness that was mentioned), the cheek deep-fried (kara-age style),
the liver in many forms (my favorite being simply in a maki with rice
and with ponzu sauce for dipping) and the shirako in many forms, most
often grilled. It is a tradition to use every part of this fish in
varied and appropriate preparations as part of a series of courses. I
love it, and the liver is out of this world, one of my very favorite
foods.

I have never experienced any tingling or other sensations that could
be related to toxin.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

It's almost sad...I have never gotten to eat it and as a paramedic I
know how the toxin works but knowing that the risk isn't even there
anymore makes me wish I didn't know. Everyone needs "A RUSH" in life.
Some people want to defy death.."and it keeps me working " but even
I wanted to try FUGU and have been waiting for my chance to go to
Japan to REALLY try it. I like to try new foods and to enjoy the
experience but how do I feel now if Morimoto in Philly (great place to
eat BTW) cuts a fish that was free of toxins to start with. His skills
none the less great but he can't kill me if he F's up. I wish I never
saw this. Now we will see Blowfish swimming in a tank at Hmart.

On Sun, 04 May 2008 20:05:35 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>I'm not one of them but those who relish the adventure of eating
>Fugu fish will probably bemoan the article in today's NY Times.
>This indicates that a Fugu gets its poison by eating bacteria
>that contain tetrodotoxin. If Fugu are raised in the absence of
>the bacteria they are not poisonous. I suppose the very small
>amount of tetrodotoxin that gives a slight tingle to the fish
>prepared by the certified Fugu chefs will be missed.
>
>If you want to learn more, go to http://tinyurl.com/4lnp25

Posted to alt.food.sushi

JoanOfArc wrote:
> It's almost sad...I have never gotten to eat it and as a paramedic I
> know how the toxin works but knowing that the risk isn't even there
> anymore makes me wish I didn't know. Everyone needs "A RUSH" in life.
> Some people want to defy death.."and it keeps me working " but even
> I wanted to try FUGU and have been waiting for my chance to go to
> Japan to REALLY try it. I like to try new foods and to enjoy the
> experience but how do I feel now if Morimoto in Philly (great place to
> eat BTW) cuts a fish that was free of toxins to start with. His skills
> none the less great but he can't kill me if he F's up. I wish I never
> saw this. Now we will see Blowfish swimming in a tank at Hmart.

Then go to Japan and try it.. I think there may be a few licensed fugu
chefs in the states, so you have a chance here. But again, it might be
farmed fugu. For a bigger rush of "defying death", have it prepared by
a fisherman in Japan.. cuz most fugu deaths are from self-prepared locals.
No don't try that..

--
Dan

This looks dangerous!!! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 16 20-01-2014 06:38 PM
Is raw milk dangerous? ` A Moose in Love General Cooking 75 11-07-2012 11:49 PM
Dangerous Duo In San Diego Terry Pulliam Burd[_5_] General Cooking 13 19-12-2010 10:04 AM
OT Dangerous Dimitri General Cooking 75 08-03-2010 10:04 PM
Price of a fugu dinner in the US [email protected] Sushi 4 07-12-2005 03:51 PM