Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Just had my worst sushi experience ever

I was driving back to work from a conference in Charleston, SC, and
driving through Mt Pleasant which is a town in between there and where
I work. I go there frequently to visit one sushi bar in particular
which is very good ("Tsunami"), but it was lunch time and they don't
open until 4:30, so I saw another sushi place called "Sushi Maru" and
decided to stop off and give it a try.

When I go in, all seemed fine at first. The inside looked like a nice
place. Their prices are just a lil higher than I'm used to (most of
their regular rolls are around $8 with the specialty rolls like spider
rolls about $14), but no big problem. I order a Spicy Tuna Roll, and
their Spider Roll "Lunch special" which includes the roll, a small
salad, soup, tempura vegetables, and a kabob (actually a lot of food
in the special).

So, I get my food and a few minutes into it I notice there's a hair on
the kabob. Now, I'm not real picky about this though a lot are.
Sometimes it falls. Heck might have even been one of my own. I
remove it and continue.

Couple minutes later, a roach crawls by on the table. I'm thoroughly
disgusted but figure "Ok, maybe just a fluke." It didn't touch my
food so I shrug it off. A minute or two later, another one (a
different one - it was a little smaller) is on the the table-stand
menu (the ones they have showing the specials). I shoo it off and
decide that I'm just going to finish off this stuff with lightning
speed and get out - the sushi actually wasn't even very good. The
rice wasn't sticky enough and was falling apart. I eat a few of the
Tempura Vegetables and look over and there is yet ANOTHER bug of some
sort (wasn't a roach this time, but it was a small insect of some
sort) crawling on the plate that my Spicy Tuna Roll was on. It this
point I just can't take it anymore and promptly settle the check and
leave without eating anymore. I didn't want to cause a stir (it's not
in my nature to be confrontational), so I didn't mention it to them.
Just left with no tip and without finishing my food.

The bad thing is I'm not sure if this place is new or something but I
can't find any online listing on Yahoo Locals or the like to write a
proper negative review on. Figured I'd rant here at least.

If you're ever in Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, SC, avoid Sushi Maru at all
costs.

Mike Gaskins
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> open until 4:30, so I saw another sushi place called "Sushi Maru" and

Sushi Maru is probably supposed to mean something like 'sushi perfection'
but it can be also 'sushi zero' which applies to the tip at least. ;-)

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Mike Gaskins" > wrote in message
> I was driving back to work from a conference in Charleston, SC, and
> driving through Mt Pleasant which is a town in between there and where
> I work. I go there frequently to visit one sushi bar in particular
> which is very good ("Tsunami"), but it was lunch time and they don't
> open until 4:30, so I saw another sushi place called "Sushi Maru" and
> decided to stop off and give it a try.
>
> When I go in, all seemed fine at first. The inside looked like a nice
> place. Their prices are just a lil higher than I'm used to (most of
> their regular rolls are around $8 with the specialty rolls like spider
> rolls about $14), but no big problem. I order a Spicy Tuna Roll, and
> their Spider Roll "Lunch special" which includes the roll, a small
> salad, soup, tempura vegetables, and a kabob (actually a lot of food
> in the special).
>
> So, I get my food and a few minutes into it I notice there's a hair on
> the kabob. Now, I'm not real picky about this though a lot are.
> Sometimes it falls. Heck might have even been one of my own. I
> remove it and continue.
>
> Couple minutes later, a roach crawls by on the table. I'm thoroughly
> disgusted but figure "Ok, maybe just a fluke." It didn't touch my
> food so I shrug it off. A minute or two later, another one (a
> different one - it was a little smaller) is on the the table-stand
> menu (the ones they have showing the specials). I shoo it off and
> decide that I'm just going to finish off this stuff with lightning
> speed and get out - the sushi actually wasn't even very good. The
> rice wasn't sticky enough and was falling apart. I eat a few of the
> Tempura Vegetables and look over and there is yet ANOTHER bug of some
> sort (wasn't a roach this time, but it was a small insect of some
> sort) crawling on the plate that my Spicy Tuna Roll was on. It this
> point I just can't take it anymore and promptly settle the check and
> leave without eating anymore. I didn't want to cause a stir (it's not
> in my nature to be confrontational), so I didn't mention it to them.
> Just left with no tip and without finishing my food.
>
> The bad thing is I'm not sure if this place is new or something but I
> can't find any online listing on Yahoo Locals or the like to write a
> proper negative review on. Figured I'd rant here at least.
>
> If you're ever in Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, SC, avoid Sushi Maru at all
> costs.
>
> Mike Gaskins

This sounds like a the applicable Health Department should be informed.
It goes beyond a a bad review on the internet.
Bad sushi would seem to be a relatively minor issue.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Mike Gaskins wrote:
> The bad thing is I'm not sure if this place is new or something but I
> can't find any online listing on Yahoo Locals or the like to write a
> proper negative review on. Figured I'd rant here at least.

You should notify the health department and let them check in on them.
You're only reaching a small amount of people here that may be in that
area.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 2, 8:26 am, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Mike Gaskins wrote:
> > The bad thing is I'm not sure if this place is new or something but I
> > can't find any online listing on Yahoo Locals or the like to write a
> > proper negative review on. Figured I'd rant here at least.

> You should notify the health department and let them check in on them.
> You're only reaching a small amount of people here that may be in that
> area.

Thanks. I just called and gave the local Health Department the
information and they said they'd check in on it. What will happen I'm
not sure, but I'll not be going back there.

Mike

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Mike Gaskins wrote:
> I was driving back to work from a conference in Charleston, SC, and
> driving through Mt Pleasant which is a town in between there and where
> I work. I go there frequently to visit one sushi bar in particular
> which is very good ("Tsunami"), but it was lunch time and they don't
> open until 4:30, so I saw another sushi place called "Sushi Maru" and
> decided to stop off and give it a try.
>
> When I go in, all seemed fine at first. The inside looked like a nice
> place. Their prices are just a lil higher than I'm used to (most of
> their regular rolls are around $8 with the specialty rolls like spider
> rolls about $14), but no big problem. I order a Spicy Tuna Roll, and
> their Spider Roll "Lunch special" which includes the roll, a small
> salad, soup, tempura vegetables, and a kabob (actually a lot of food
> in the special).
>
> So, I get my food and a few minutes into it I notice there's a hair on
> the kabob. Now, I'm not real picky about this though a lot are.
> Sometimes it falls. Heck might have even been one of my own. I
> remove it and continue.
>
> Couple minutes later, a roach crawls by on the table. I'm thoroughly
> disgusted but figure "Ok, maybe just a fluke." It didn't touch my
> food so I shrug it off. A minute or two later, another one (a
> different one - it was a little smaller) is on the the table-stand
> menu (the ones they have showing the specials). I shoo it off and
> decide that I'm just going to finish off this stuff with lightning
> speed and get out - the sushi actually wasn't even very good. The
> rice wasn't sticky enough and was falling apart. I eat a few of the
> Tempura Vegetables and look over and there is yet ANOTHER bug of some
> sort (wasn't a roach this time, but it was a small insect of some
> sort) crawling on the plate that my Spicy Tuna Roll was on. It this
> point I just can't take it anymore and promptly settle the check and
> leave without eating anymore. I didn't want to cause a stir (it's not
> in my nature to be confrontational), so I didn't mention it to them.
> Just left with no tip and without finishing my food.
>
> The bad thing is I'm not sure if this place is new or something but I
> can't find any online listing on Yahoo Locals or the like to write a
> proper negative review on. Figured I'd rant here at least.
>
> If you're ever in Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, SC, avoid Sushi Maru at all
> costs.
>
> Mike Gaskins

Wow, thanks for the tip. My folks live in Mt. Pleasant and I'll be sure
to avoid that place the next time I'm in the area. Tsunami is good
though you say? I'll have to give that a try when I'm not stuffing my
face with she crab soup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 2, 11:15 am, Warren > wrote:
> Wow, thanks for the tip. My folks live in Mt. Pleasant and I'll be sure
> to avoid that place the next time I'm in the area. Tsunami is good
> though you say? I'll have to give that a try when I'm not stuffing my
> face with she crab soup

Yes, Tsunami is very good (well, from the limited number of places
I've gone it's been the best. I eat a lot of sushi but I've only been
to maybe a dozen different sushi bars total so my survey size is
small). I'm particularly fond of their spicy scallops which I usually
get as sashimi. My "standard order" there is usually a Spicy Tuna
roll, Spicy Scallop sashimi, and either a Yellow Tail or a Salmon
roll.

Thumbs up on the she crab soup though. Awesome stuff. The best I've
had is on the harbor cruises that tour around Charleston (they depart
from Patriot's Point), but if you want to avoid the 3 hour boat ride
the Charleston Crab House serves up a pretty decent bowl too .

Mike
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote:
> "Mike Gaskins" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> This sounds like a the applicable Health Department should be informed.
> It goes beyond a a bad review on the internet.
> Bad sushi would seem to be a relatively minor issue.

In Los Angeles County, if the Health Department Inspector finds even one
cockroach egg capsule (ootheca), you will be shut down until the problem is
dealt with and you've been re-inspected and cleared.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2008-04-01 13:12:13 -0700, Mike Gaskins > said:

> Couple minutes later, a roach crawls by on the table.

They say if you see a single roach out in the open like that it means
there's bejillions behind the wall. I think it's bejillions. It might
be zillions...
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote:

> On 2008-04-01 13:12:13 -0700, Mike Gaskins > said:
>
>> Couple minutes later, a roach crawls by on the table.

> They say if you see a single roach out in the open like that it means
> there's bejillions behind the wall. I think it's bejillions. It might
> be zillions...

That's what I've heard.. we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
hunted it down and killed it. I was worried for weeks that it wouldn't
be the last one I saw. Fortunately I think it just flew in.. cuz I
haven't seen one for years.

Roaches at a restaurant are bad. At a sushi bar its really bad!

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:08:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Gerry wrote:
>
> > On 2008-04-01 13:12:13 -0700, Mike Gaskins > said:
> >
> >> Couple minutes later, a roach crawls by on the table.

> > They say if you see a single roach out in the open like that it means
> > there's bejillions behind the wall. I think it's bejillions. It might
> > be zillions...

> That's what I've heard.. we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
> hunted it down and killed it. I was worried for weeks that it wouldn't
> be the last one I saw. Fortunately I think it just flew in.. cuz I
> haven't seen one for years.
>
> Roaches at a restaurant are bad. At a sushi bar its really bad!

Nobody likes roaches, least of all me, but as I understand it, they
are actually among the cleaner insects that you might have (in a
restaurant or elsewhere).

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:08:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
>> Gerry wrote:

>>> They say if you see a single roach out in the open like that it means
>>> there's bejillions behind the wall. I think it's bejillions. It might
>>> be zillions...

>> That's what I've heard.. we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
>> hunted it down and killed it. I was worried for weeks that it wouldn't
>> be the last one I saw. Fortunately I think it just flew in.. cuz I
>> haven't seen one for years.
>>
>> Roaches at a restaurant are bad. At a sushi bar its really bad!

> Nobody likes roaches, least of all me, but as I understand it, they
> are actually among the cleaner insects that you might have (in a
> restaurant or elsewhere).

Although I doubt that's comforting when you open up your rice bowl and
see a roach that had been cooked into the rice (true story, happened to
a friend of mine a few months ago when we went to lunch. "Should I eat
this?" he said, showing me).
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:08:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Gerry wrote:

>>>They say if you see a single roach out in the open like that it means
>>>there's bejillions behind the wall. I think it's bejillions. It might
>>>be zillions...

>>That's what I've heard.. we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
>>hunted it down and killed it. I was worried for weeks that it wouldn't
>>be the last one I saw. Fortunately I think it just flew in.. cuz I
>>haven't seen one for years.
>>
>>Roaches at a restaurant are bad. At a sushi bar its really bad!

> Nobody likes roaches, least of all me, but as I understand it, they
> are actually among the cleaner insects that you might have (in a
> restaurant or elsewhere).

Roaches do clean themselves, however the GI tract can harbor all the diseases
which they defecate on or around the food they are eating..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:56:43 -0400, Warren
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:08:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:

> >> That's what I've heard.. we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
> >> hunted it down and killed it. I was worried for weeks that it wouldn't
> >> be the last one I saw. Fortunately I think it just flew in.. cuz I
> >> haven't seen one for years.
> >>
> >> Roaches at a restaurant are bad. At a sushi bar its really bad!

> > Nobody likes roaches, least of all me, but as I understand it, they
> > are actually among the cleaner insects that you might have (in a
> > restaurant or elsewhere).
> >

> Although I doubt that's comforting when you open up your rice bowl and
> see a roach that had been cooked into the rice (true story, happened to
> a friend of mine a few months ago when we went to lunch. "Should I eat
> this?" he said, showing me).

LOL! No, I too doubt that it's comforting.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:01:50 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:08:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:

> >>That's what I've heard.. we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
> >>hunted it down and killed it. I was worried for weeks that it wouldn't
> >>be the last one I saw. Fortunately I think it just flew in.. cuz I
> >>haven't seen one for years.
> >>
> >>Roaches at a restaurant are bad. At a sushi bar its really bad!

> > Nobody likes roaches, least of all me, but as I understand it, they
> > are actually among the cleaner insects that you might have (in a
> > restaurant or elsewhere).

> Roaches do clean themselves, however the GI tract can harbor all the diseases
> which they defecate on or around the food they are eating..

Note that I said "cleaner," not "clean." As I understand it, flies
(which are so common that hardly anyone gets very upset about them)
are far worse.

But I don't pretend to be an expert on this, and if you know more
about it than I do, I'll bow to your knowledge.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:48:05 -0700, Ken Blake
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:01:50 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:08:17 -0400, Dan Logcher

>> > Nobody likes roaches, least of all me, but as I understand it, they
>> > are actually among the cleaner insects that you might have (in a
>> > restaurant or elsewhere).

>> Roaches do clean themselves, however the GI tract can harbor all the diseases
>> which they defecate on or around the food they are eating..

>Note that I said "cleaner," not "clean." As I understand it, flies
>(which are so common that hardly anyone gets very upset about them)
>are far worse.
>
>But I don't pretend to be an expert on this, and if you know more
>about it than I do, I'll bow to your knowledge.

I just read something in the last week or so that said house flies
cause more deaths than any other creature on earth because of the
things they crawl on before landing on human food.

Besides, flies barf up their digestive juices onto what they eat and
THEN eat it. It's not hard to imagine that they might miss some.

Pretty gross.

As for that place, I would have called the health dept immediately.
That's disgusting.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

we had a roach in our house once. I freaked,
hunted it down and killed it...

__________________

A roach, like singular? You're lucky you didn't live in NYC. We
could never get rid of all those little *******s, and they'll be
around long after people are gone and forgotten. They can withstand
600X the radiation.

I've been in some NYC apartments taht were like nightmares -
cockroaches everyplace.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 4, 12:45*pm, wrote:
> we had a roach in our house once. *I freaked,
> hunted it down and killed it...
>
> __________________
>
> A roach, like singular? *You're lucky you didn't live in NYC. *We
> could never get rid of all those little *******s, and they'll be
> around long after people are gone and forgotten. They can withstand
> 600X the radiation.
>
> I've been in some NYC apartments taht were like nightmares -
> cockroaches everyplace.

In an apartment in a major city, that doesn't have monthly pest
control services, I'd expect it. In a restaurant, no way. To have two
crawling on my tale while I'm eating would really be unusual.

In Florida, when I was much younger, I lived in a house with no pest
control services. One night, while I was asleep, a huge, 3 inch long
palmetto bug that looks just like a giant cockroach crawl across my
sleeping face. Man, I woke, realized that Godzilla was on my face,
swiped it from my face and heard it slap into the wall on the other
side of the room.

When I got the light turned on, it wasn't there. I don't think I hurt
it.

The thing was like a VW with legs.

One of those gets on your plate, and you would lose sight of the
plate.

Bugs-food-no good!

Unless you're eating the bugs like Andrew Zimmerman on his tv show.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Yeah, I've seen those Florida cockroaches. The ground shakes as they
walk.

Where's that creepy background music from "Them"?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

We've all eaten loads of bugs, though. Any time you eat any grain
product there are a certain amount of insect parts mixed in. The FDA
allows a certain amount. It's good for you. Adds protein.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 7, 1:13*pm, wrote:
> We've all eaten loads of bugs, though. *Any time you eat any grain
> product there are a certain amount of insect parts mixed in. *The FDA
> allows a certain amount. *It's good for you. *Adds protein.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0..._your_food.htm
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:06:25 -0700 (PDT), John Doe
> wrote:

> In Florida, when I was much younger, I lived in a house with no pest
> control services. One night, while I was asleep, a huge, 3 inch long
> palmetto bug that looks just like a giant cockroach crawl across my
> sleeping face. Man, I woke, realized that Godzilla was on my face,
> swiped it from my face and heard it slap into the wall on the other
> side of the room.

A palmetto bug *is* a giant cockroach.

There are many different species of cockroaches (insects of the order
Blattodea) and at least two different cockroaches are commonly found
in the USA:

1. The German cockroach or Croton bug (Blattella germanica). This is
the cockroach those who live in NYC are very familiar with .

2. The American cockroach (Periplaneta americana), also called the
Palmetto bug or Water bug. These are more common in the south and
west. We have them here in Tucson.

(Most of the above is from Wikipedia)

Interestingly (to me anyway), although the American cockroach is much
bigger and uglier than the German variety, they don't seem to occur in
enormous populations the way the German ones do, and are therefore
much easier to deal with. I've also never seen them infesting food or
eating anything.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:06:25 -0700 (PDT), John Doe
> > wrote:
>

>>In Florida, when I was much younger, I lived in a house with no pest
>>control services. One night, while I was asleep, a huge, 3 inch long
>>palmetto bug that looks just like a giant cockroach crawl across my
>>sleeping face. Man, I woke, realized that Godzilla was on my face,
>>swiped it from my face and heard it slap into the wall on the other
>>side of the room.

> A palmetto bug *is* a giant cockroach.

I saw those in Hawaii, fricken HUGE!!!

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Apr 7, 2:30*pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:06:25 -0700 (PDT), John Doe
> > > wrote:

> >>In Florida, when I was much younger, I lived in a house with no pest
> >>control services. One night, while I was asleep, a huge, 3 inch long
> >>palmetto bug that looks just like a giant cockroach crawl across my
> >>sleeping face. Man, I woke, realized that Godzilla was on my face,
> >>swiped it from my face and heard it slap into the wall on the other
> >>side of the room.

> > A palmetto bug *is* a giant cockroach.

> I saw those in Hawaii, fricken HUGE!!!
>
> --
> Dan

http://www.bugs.com/images/roaches/american_11.jpg
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:06:25 -0700 (PDT), John Doe
> wrote:

>On Apr 4, 12:45*pm, wrote:
>> we had a roach in our house once. *I freaked,
>> hunted it down and killed it...
>>
>> __________________
>>
>> A roach, like singular? *You're lucky you didn't live in NYC. *We
>> could never get rid of all those little *******s, and they'll be
>> around long after people are gone and forgotten. They can withstand
>> 600X the radiation.
>>
>> I've been in some NYC apartments taht were like nightmares -
>> cockroaches everyplace.

>In an apartment in a major city, that doesn't have monthly pest
>control services, I'd expect it. In a restaurant, no way. To have two
>crawling on my tale while I'm eating would really be unusual.

I don't think I would want to eat in a place where I saw a couple of
roaches crawling around let alone them actually being on the table.

>In Florida, when I was much younger, I lived in a house with no pest
>control services. One night, while I was asleep, a huge, 3 inch long
>palmetto bug that looks just like a giant cockroach crawl across my
>sleeping face. Man, I woke, realized that Godzilla was on my face,
>swiped it from my face and heard it slap into the wall on the other
>side of the room.

LOL. I've seen them. Probably the worst I ever saw was when I was
growing up. We lived out in the woods and one night I went out on the
back porch, turned on the light and saw what felt like a few hundred
roaches out there, but was probably only 40 or 50. That's the problem
with living out in the middle of nowhere, having food out on the back
porch (for the pets) and not having regular pest control. I got the
spray out the next day and hit the deck. Interesting thing is even
though there were obviously a lot around I can't recall ever seeing
them in the house. Maybe it's because my mom kept a clean house.
>When I got the light turned on, it wasn't there. I don't think I hurt
>it.
>
>The thing was like a VW with legs.

Yeah, those things are tough.

>One of those gets on your plate, and you would lose sight of the
>plate.

>Bugs-food-no good!

I just can't imagine seeing them on the table in a restaurant. I have
enough trouble when I see one sneak into my apartment. I'm always
getting the spray out then and hitting all the common places they
would go.
>Unless you're eating the bugs like Andrew Zimmerman on his tv show.

Ugh.. I know people can eat roaches but does any culture make them a
regular part of their diet?