Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way toeat sushi

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
eat sushi
The right way to eat sushi

By Jenn Harris contact the reporter

Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
According to Tokyo sushi chef Naomichi Yasuda, we've been doing it all
horribly wrong.

In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
hands. We know, we were shocked too when we learned that using
chopsticks to shove pieces of blue crab roll into your mouth was not
proper sushi etiquette.

And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
sushi.

Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at Sushi
Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know who
you are.

And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.

And just when you thought he couldn't say anything more to shock you, he
drops this bit of wisdom like a sake bomb:

"What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
second ingredient."

Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>
> You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to eat
> sushi
> The right way to eat sushi
>
> By Jenn Harris contact the reporter
>
> Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
> According to Tokyo sushi chef Naomichi Yasuda, we've been doing it all
> horribly wrong.
>
> In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the right
> and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your hands. We
> know, we were shocked too when we learned that using chopsticks to shove
> pieces of blue crab roll into your mouth was not proper sushi etiquette.
>
> And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
> dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
> then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your sushi.
> It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of sushi.
>
> Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at Sushi
> Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know who you
> are.
>
> And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into soy
> sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish, and not
> the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense when you
> think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish because yours
> is full of runaway pieces of rice.
>
> And just when you thought he couldn't say anything more to shock you, he
> drops this bit of wisdom like a sake bomb:
>
> "What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
> ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
> second ingredient."

people don't know all this?

dip your chopstick in the soy sauce and put a few drops on the sushi.
doesn't this sushi expert know that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2015 11:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>
>> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>>
>> You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
>> eat sushi

> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
> and keep your opinions to yourself.
>
> -sw

To paraphrase an old joke, "Is it ok to eat sushi with your fingers? No,
of course not; you eat the sushi first, and then your eat your fingers"
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa.republican

Default You're eating sushi right! Tokyo sushi chef teaches confirms it

On 9/10/2015 12:45 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 12:45 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> http://www.latimes.comtalk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
> second ingredient."
>
> Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:00 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "Travis McGee" > wrote in message
>> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>>
>> You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to eat
>> sushi
>> The right way to eat sushi
>>
>> By Jenn Harris contact the reporter
>>
>> Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
>> According to Tokyo sushi chef Naomichi Yasuda, we've been doing it all
>> horribly wrong.
>>
>> In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the right
>> and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your hands. We
>> know, we were shocked too when we learned that using chopsticks to shove
>> pieces of blue crab roll into your mouth was not proper sushi etiquette.
>>
>> And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
>> dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
>> then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your sushi.
>> It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of sushi.
>>
>> Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at Sushi
>> Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know who you
>> are.
>>
>> And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into soy
>> sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish, and not
>> the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense when you
>> think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish because yours
>> is full of runaway pieces of rice.
>>
>> And just when you thought he couldn't say anything more to shock you, he
>> drops this bit of wisdom like a sake bomb:
>>
>> "What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
>> ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
>> second ingredient."

> people don't know all this?
>
> dip your chopstick in the soy sauce and put a few drops on the sushi.
> doesn't this sushi expert know that?

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:17 PM, Travis McGee wrote:

> To paraphrase an old joke, "Is it ok to eat sushi with your fingers? No,
> of course not; you eat the sushi first, and then your eat your fingers"

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:05 PM, Bruce wrote:

> 1. As long as cock ends up in my mouth in a civilised manner, it's all
> good.
> 2. It's all about the fish. That's why sashimi's better. It smells
> like ****.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2015 11:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:13:14 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>>>
>>> You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
>>> eat sushi

>> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
>> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
>> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
>> and keep your opinions to yourself.

> BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
> whatshisface sushi chef.
>
> One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
> chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
> - whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
> your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
> to pick it up.
>
> -sw

No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even about
how to eat food, this forum notwithstanding.

I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
and fork, or, use my fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 02:45:43 +0000, Travis McGee said:

> In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
> right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
> hands.

Rule two, disregard rule one. The flavor is not changed by eating with
chopsticks. No one is offended by eating with chop sticks. Eating with
a knife and fork is kinda uncool, but whoever is carping about it would
be uncooler still.

> And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
> dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
> then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
> sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
> sushi.

That was it's intentions, but the way cuisines grow is when people *do
what they like*. Almost everyone I knew 20 years ago that floated
sushi in soy sauce or placed ginger on top of sushi before eating
doesn't do it any more. They stopped as their own palate educated
them. One guy I introduced to sushi who was a "floater". Now doesn't
use any soy at all. His palate has become refined by his own
explorations.

It's nice to be told how things are "best", but it's nicer to migrate
your ownself via experience.

> Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at
> Sushi Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know
> who you are.

I know who YOU are, that's for sure.

> And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
> soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
> and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
> when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
> because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.

People work out these things via pure logic. "Don't butter and jelly
the toast on both sides cause it's messy." They do it themselves and
they don't need to be told anymore.

> "What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
> ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
> second ingredient."
>
> Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

And now, a lesson on the proper way to hold your chopsticks...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 04:18:49 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 23:57:42 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>
>> I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
>> in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
>> and fork, or, use my fingers.

> I cook and eat a lot of Asian foods but I refuse to use chopsticks -
> or even learn how to use them. Forks and spoons(*) are much more
> efficient for anything and everything.

Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
chopsticks.s

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:47:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
>>> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
>>> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
>>> and keep your opinions to yourself.

>>BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
>>whatshisface sushi chef.
>>
>>One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
>>chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
>>- whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
>>your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
>>to pick it up.

> "eat anything you want any way you damned well please" (sw)
>
> --
> Bruce

LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:49:24 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:

> Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
> as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
> approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
> chopsticks.s

Well, I'm still trying to master chopsticks, one day I will
get the hang of them. (Wish me luck.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:49:24 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
>>
>> Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
>> as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
>> approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
>> chopsticks.s
>>

> Well, I'm still trying to master chopsticks, one day I will
> get the hang of them. (Wish me luck.)

I've never mastered them either, though my youngest sis is an expert at it.
I finally gave up, so good luck.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:09 PM, Bruce wrote:

> "eat anything you want any way you damned well please" (sf)

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:46 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-10 02:45:43 +0000, Travis McGee said:
>
>> In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
>> right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
>> hands.

> Rule two, disregard rule one. The flavor is not changed by eating with
> chopsticks. No one is offended by eating with chop sticks. Eating with
> a knife and fork is kinda uncool, but whoever is carping about it would
> be uncooler still.
>
>> And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
>> dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
>> then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
>> sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
>> sushi.

> That was it's intentions, but the way cuisines grow is when people *do
> what they like*. Almost everyone I knew 20 years ago that floated sushi
> in soy sauce or placed ginger on top of sushi before eating doesn't do
> it any more. They stopped as their own palate educated them. One guy I
> introduced to sushi who was a "floater". Now doesn't use any soy at
> all. His palate has become refined by his own explorations.
>
> It's nice to be told how things are "best", but it's nicer to migrate
> your ownself via experience.
>
>> Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at
>> Sushi Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You
>> know who you are.

> I know who YOU are, that's for sure.
>
>> And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
>> soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
>> and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
>> when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
>> because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.

> People work out these things via pure logic. "Don't butter and jelly the
> toast on both sides cause it's messy." They do it themselves and they
> don't need to be told anymore.
>
>> "What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
>> ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
>> second ingredient."
>>
>> Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

> And now, a lesson on the proper way to hold your chopsticks...

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:55 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:47:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
>>> whatshisface sushi chef.
>>>
>>> One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
>>> chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
>>> - whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
>>> your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
>>> to pick it up.

>> "eat anything you want any way you damned well please" (sw)
>>
>> --
>> Bruce

> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>
> Mmmm hmmm...
>
> Ayup...

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:57 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 9/9/2015 11:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
>>> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
>>> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
>>> and keep your opinions to yourself.

>> BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
>> whatshisface sushi chef.
>>
>> One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
>> chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
>> - whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
>> your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
>> to pick it up.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even about
> how to eat food, this forum notwithstanding.
>
> I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
> in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
> and fork, or, use my fingers.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:49 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-10 04:18:49 +0000, Sqwertz said:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 23:57:42 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>>> I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
>>> in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
>>> and fork, or, use my fingers.

>> I cook and eat a lot of Asian foods but I refuse to use chopsticks -
>> or even learn how to use them. Forks and spoons(*) are much more
>> efficient for anything and everything.

> Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
> as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
> approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
> chopsticks.s

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 4:17 PM, Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:49:24 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
>>>
>>> Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
>>> as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
>>> approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
>>> chopsticks.s
>>>

>> Well, I'm still trying to master chopsticks, one day I will
>> get the hang of them. (Wish me luck.)

> I've never mastered them either, though my youngest sis is an expert at
> it. I finally gave up, so good luck.
>
> Cheri

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 23:57:42 -0400, Travis McGee >

>> I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
>> in my youth, I can't adequately employ them.

> I'm very sorry that you only have one hand. I need both to masturbate, my neck is very long.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee >
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html
>>
>>You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
>>eat sushi
>>The right way to eat sushi
>>
>>By Jenn Harris contact the reporter
>>
>>Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
>>According to Tokyo sushi chef Naomichi Yasuda, we've been doing it all
>>horribly wrong.
>>
>>In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
>>right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
>>hands. We know, we were shocked too when we learned that using
>>chopsticks to shove pieces of blue crab roll into your mouth was not
>>proper sushi etiquette.
>>
>>And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
>>dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
>>then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
>>sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
>>sushi.
>>
>>Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at Sushi
>>Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know who
>>you are.
>>
>>And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
>>soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
>>and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
>>when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
>>because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.
>>
>>And just when you thought he couldn't say anything more to shock you, he
>>drops this bit of wisdom like a sake bomb:
>>
>>"What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
>>ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
>>second ingredient."
>>
>>Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

> 1. As long as it ends up in my mouth in a civilised manner, it's all
> good.
> 2. It's all about the fish. That's why sashimi's better.

The problem with that for me, would be the size of that shushi. I couldn't
put a whole one in my mouth at once!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:57:47 PM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 9/9/2015 11:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
> >> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
> >> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
> >> and keep your opinions to yourself.

> > BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
> > whatshisface sushi chef.
> >
> > One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
> > chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
> > - whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
> > your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
> > to pick it up.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even about
> how to eat food, this forum notwithstanding.
>
> I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
> in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
> and fork, or, use my fingers.

I've grown up eating sushi. I've never seen anybody use a fork with sushi. You'd think that somebody would have done this but as far as I know, nobody in the history of Hawaii has ever eaten or seen anybody eat sushi with a fork. The next time I eat sushi, I'll try using a fork to see what happens. My guess is that the dead will rise again to eat the living.

My number one rule for eating sushi is to never stick hashi up your nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8PRFro7v0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote in
:

>>> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
>>> eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
>>> other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well
>>> please and keep your opinions to yourself.

While that's valid as a philosophy, what a lot of you are missing is the
fact that ritual is very important in some aspects of Japanese culture.
You might not be an annoying slob to others around you, but you'll be an
annoying slob to any Japanese around you. Is that important? You decide.

I was at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Kamakura and ordered a
sushi platter. Mama-san set it down in front of me and I turned the
platter around to better get at pieces in the rear. She exploded and
started screaming at me as she grabbed the platter and turned it back the
way it "should be". So much for Japanese obsessive politenes...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:46:51 AM UTC-4, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-10 02:45:43 +0000, Travis McGee said:
>
> > In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
> > right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
> > hands.

> Rule two, disregard rule one. The flavor is not changed by eating with
> chopsticks. No one is offended by eating with chop sticks. Eating with
> a knife and fork is kinda uncool, but whoever is carping about it would
> be uncooler still.
>
> > And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
> > dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
> > then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
> > sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
> > sushi.

> That was it's intentions, but the way cuisines grow is when people *do
> what they like*. Almost everyone I knew 20 years ago that floated
> sushi in soy sauce or placed ginger on top of sushi before eating
> doesn't do it any more. They stopped as their own palate educated
> them. One guy I introduced to sushi who was a "floater". Now doesn't
> use any soy at all. His palate has become refined by his own
> explorations.

I'll still top a piece of California roll with ginger. It's just,
you know, California roll. It doesn't deserve any better.

I'm more inclined to use soy sauce than I was 20 years ago, although it's
just a quick dip. Generally with tuna or other meaty fish. And
never the rice, just the fish.

> It's nice to be told how things are "best", but it's nicer to migrate
> your ownself via experience.
>
> > Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at
> > Sushi Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know
> > who you are.

> I know who YOU are, that's for sure.
>
> > And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
> > soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
> > and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
> > when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
> > because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.

> People work out these things via pure logic. "Don't butter and jelly
> the toast on both sides cause it's messy." They do it themselves and
> they don't need to be told anymore.
>
> > "What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
> > ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
> > second ingredient."
> >
> > Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

> And now, a lesson on the proper way to hold your chopsticks...

No point. I'm left-handed, so that pretty much dispenses with "proper".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:28:02 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> 1. As long as it ends up in my mouth in a civilised manner, it's all
>>> good.
>>> 2. It's all about the fish. That's why sashimi's better.
>>>

>>The problem with that for me, would be the size of that shushi. I
>>couldn't
>>put a whole one in my mouth at once!

> Ask for a knife and fork and teach them some western etiquette

Given I've never had any and don't really expect to ... ah do they do sushi
in Hong Kong???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 06:17:19 +0000, Cheri said:

> > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:49:24 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
>>>
>>> Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
>>> as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
>>> approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
>>> chopsticks.s
>>>

>> Well, I'm still trying to master chopsticks, one day I will
>> get the hang of them. (Wish me luck.)

> I've never mastered them either, though my youngest sis is an expert at
> it. I finally gave up, so good luck.

At first it keeps you from over eating. I saw somebody using
chopsticks in a Chinese restaurant when I was about 22. I vowed never
to eat Chinese food without chopsticks and began the hand-cramping
process then. About 10 years later I realized I had eaten enough
Chinese food to master it. About then I discovered Japanese food and
fortunately I was ready.

I say "elegant" above but what I really mean I guess, is that it
somehow seems more refined to eat food with these tiny tongs rather
than either *stabbing* everthing or scooping some, and having it fall
everywhere as you try to get it to your mouth.

In the big picture it's irrelevant of course

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 04:55:26 +0000, taxed and spent said:

> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>
> Mmmm hmmm...
>
> Ayup...

Be careful. I instinctively started to killfile your posting address!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 08:37:01 +0000, Alan Holbrook said:

> While that's valid as a philosophy, what a lot of you are missing is the
> fact that ritual is very important in some aspects of Japanese culture.
> You might not be an annoying slob to others around you, but you'll be an
> annoying slob to any Japanese around you. Is that important? You decide.
>
> I was at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Kamakura and ordered a
> sushi platter. Mama-san set it down in front of me and I turned the
> platter around to better get at pieces in the rear. She exploded and
> started screaming at me as she grabbed the platter and turned it back the
> way it "should be". So much for Japanese obsessive politenes...

I've never heard or seen a Japanese person "explode" or scream, and
have been there a lot. But I'm sure it happens. Especially at
restaurants in tourist areas--like Kamakura.

But that is the first time I've heard of anyone, explosive or
otherwise, being concerned about plate placement. Every nutcase has
their preferred nut, I suppose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 09:09:26 +0000, Bruce said:

>> The problem with that for me, would be the size of that shushi. I couldn't
>> put a whole one in my mouth at once!

> Ask for a knife and fork and teach them some western etiquette

If they are proud of their food they'll certainly hope that you enjoy
it more than you follow some vague etiquette from another continent. I
have heard some women order "smaller sushi" so it's more convenient to
eat and never saw the sushi chef phased. There's also chirashi sushi
or "scatter sushi" where the put the rice in a bowl and lat pieces of
sashimi over the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 14:39:30 +0000, Ophelia said:

>>> The problem with that for me, would be the size of that shushi. I couldn't
>>> put a whole one in my mouth at once!

>> Ask for a knife and fork and teach them some western etiquette

> Given I've never had any and don't really expect to ...

You've never eaten sushi!! Amazing. It's truly a delight.

> ah do they do sushi in Hong Kong???

They do sushi almost everywhere on the planet that refrigeration (and
electricity) is consistent, and people are wealthy enough to eat in
restaurants. They certainly have *exceptional* sushi in Hong Kong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091008260090586-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-09-10 04:55:26 +0000, taxed and spent said:
>
>> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>>
>> Mmmm hmmm...
>>
>> Ayup...

> Be careful. I instinctively started to killfile your posting address!

surely you have better reasons to do so!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis.

**** off and DIE you woman-stalking virus!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> (*) **** those damned Chinese spoons, too!
>
> -sw

**** your shitty damned racism!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
> eat certain foods.

Yet here you are....
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 15:38:25 +0000, taxed and spent said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091008260090586-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2015-09-10 04:55:26 +0000, taxed and spent said:
>>
>>> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>>>
>>> Mmmm hmmm...
>>>
>>> Ayup...

>> Be careful. I instinctively started to killfile your posting address!

> surely you have better reasons to do so!

Not yet. Besides everybody goes in my "weasel watch" category first,
where their posts are flagged yellow and I can be on guard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

taxed and spent wrote:
> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2015091008260090586-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2015-09-10 04:55:26 +0000, taxed and spent said:
>>
>>> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>>>
>>> Mmmm hmmm...
>>>
>>> Ayup...

>> Be careful. I instinctively started to killfile your posting address!
>>

> surely you have better reasons to do so!

WTF?!??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-10 04:55:26 +0000, taxed and spent said:
>
>> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>>
>> Mmmm hmmm...
>>
>> Ayup...

> Be careful. I instinctively started to killfile your posting address!

Ooooh, threat time....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2015 10:55 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:47:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
>>> whatshisface sushi chef.
>>>
>>> One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
>>> chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
>>> - whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
>>> your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
>>> to pick it up.

>> "eat anything you want any way you damned well please" (sw)
>>
>> --
>> Bruce

> LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:
>
> Mmmm hmmm...
>
> Ayup...

Frog much?

Sushi Tutorial for 1st Time Sushi Chef ommilay Sushi 0 19-03-2012 07:27 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) ChoiManHansi Sushi 8 25-03-2006 12:31 AM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) Hansi General Cooking 3 24-03-2006 09:59 PM
Sushi in Tokyo beeldbouwer Sushi 14 10-11-2005 01:26 AM
What a Sushi Chef orders when he goes to another sushi bar ChefMatisse.com Sushi 2 07-03-2004 12:22 AM