Old 10-09-2015, 03:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way toeat sushi

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
eat sushi
The right way to eat sushi

By Jenn Harris contact the reporter

Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
According to Tokyo sushi chef Naomichi Yasuda, we've been doing it all
horribly wrong.

In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
hands. We know, we were shocked too when we learned that using
chopsticks to shove pieces of blue crab roll into your mouth was not
proper sushi etiquette.

And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
sushi.

Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at Sushi
Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know who
you are.

And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.

And just when you thought he couldn't say anything more to shock you, he
drops this bit of wisdom like a sake bomb:

"What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
second ingredient."

Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" wrote in message
[...]

people don't know all this?

dip your chopstick in the soy sauce and put a few drops on the sushi.
doesn't this sushi expert know that?

Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2015 11:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
eat sushi

Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
and keep your opinions to yourself.

-sw

To paraphrase an old joke, "Is it ok to eat sushi with your fingers? No,
of course not; you eat the sushi first, and then your eat your fingers"
Old 10-09-2015, 04:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.usa.republican

Default You're eating sushi right! Tokyo sushi chef teaches confirms it

On 9/10/2015 12:45 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:05 PM, Bruce wrote:

1. As long as cock ends up in my mouth in a civilised manner, it's all
good.
2. It's all about the fish. That's why sashimi's better. It smells
like ****.

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2015 11:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:13:14 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...828-story.html

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to
eat sushi

Last thing people need to hear is somebody pontificating over how to
eat certain foods. As long as you're not being an annoying slob to
other around you, eat anything you want any way you damned well please
and keep your opinions to yourself.

BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you, Travis. That was for the
whatshisface sushi chef.

One thing that does bug me is watching people picking up food with
chopsticks and trying to eat only a portion of whatever's on the end
- whether it's sushi, a chicken wing, or a pickle. Either cut it on
your plate and pick up what you intend to eat, or use your damn hands
to pick it up.

-sw

No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even about
how to eat food, this forum notwithstanding.

I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
and fork, or, use my fingers.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 02:45:43 +0000, Travis McGee said:

In a new video by Vice's Munchies, seen above, the chef explains the
right and wrong way to eat sushi. Rule one, eat cut rolls with your
hands.

Rule two, disregard rule one. The flavor is not changed by eating with
chopsticks. No one is offended by eating with chop sticks. Eating with
a knife and fork is kinda uncool, but whoever is carping about it would
be uncooler still.

And when you dunk your piece of sushi roll into soy sauce, well, don't
dunk it. Just dip what Yasuda says is "enough" to taste the soy sauce,
then eat it. And don't ever, ever eat the pickled ginger with your
sushi. It's meant to be eaten by itself, after you've eaten a piece of
sushi.

That was it's intentions, but the way cuisines grow is when people *do
what they like*. Almost everyone I knew 20 years ago that floated
sushi in soy sauce or placed ginger on top of sushi before eating
doesn't do it any more. They stopped as their own palate educated
them. One guy I introduced to sushi who was a "floater". Now doesn't
use any soy at all. His palate has become refined by his own
explorations.

It's nice to be told how things are "best", but it's nicer to migrate
your ownself via experience.

Everyone who shoves the unlimited supply of ginger on the table at
Sushi Stop onto every single bite of sushi is silently crying. You know
who you are.

I know who YOU are, that's for sure.

And one of the biggest no-no's was how people normally dip nigiri into
soy sauce. Yasuda explains how to properly dip sushi so that the fish,
and not the rice, makes contact with the soy sauce. This makes sense
when you think of all the times you've asked for a new soy sauce dish
because yours is full of runaway pieces of rice.

People work out these things via pure logic. "Don't butter and jelly
the toast on both sides cause it's messy." They do it themselves and
they don't need to be told anymore.

"What's important about sushi is the rice. The rice is the main
ingredient. So people talk about the fish. But the fish, this is the
second ingredient."

Tell that to the people who ferociously bid on tuna at Tsukiji.

And now, a lesson on the proper way to hold your chopsticks...

Old 10-09-2015, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 04:18:49 +0000, Sqwertz said:

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 23:57:42 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:

I personally never use chopsticks. Due to damage to my elbow from sports
in my youth, I can't adequately employ them. I always ask for a knife
and fork, or, use my fingers.

I cook and eat a lot of Asian foods but I refuse to use chopsticks -
or even learn how to use them. Forks and spoons(*) are much more
efficient for anything and everything.

Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
chopsticks.s

Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:47:10 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

[...]

"eat anything you want any way you damned well please" (sw)

--
Bruce

LOL. This is the only post where the troll reply is appropriate:

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:49:24 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:

Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
chopsticks.s

Well, I'm still trying to master chopsticks, one day I will
get the hang of them. (Wish me luck.)

Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 11:49:24 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:

Well if you did learn to use them you might find a use for them. Same
as with any other tool. I think they are the most elegant and simplest
approach to eating--assuming the food has been scaled for use with
chopsticks.s

Well, I'm still trying to master chopsticks, one day I will
get the hang of them. (Wish me luck.)

I've never mastered them either, though my youngest sis is an expert at it.
I finally gave up, so good luck.

Cheri

Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:09 PM, Bruce wrote:

"eat anything you want any way you damned well please" (sf)

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Sushi Tutorial for 1st Time Sushi Chef ommilay Sushi 0 19-03-2012 07:27 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) ChoiManHansi Sushi 8 25-03-2006 12:31 AM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) Hansi General Cooking 3 24-03-2006 09:59 PM
Sushi in Tokyo beeldbouwer Sushi 14 10-11-2005 01:26 AM
What a Sushi Chef orders when he goes to another sushi bar ChefMatisse.com Sushi 2 07-03-2004 12:22 AM