Raman

Default Avoid Jewel of Newbury - worst Moroccon Mediterranean experience

We had a horrible experience at this restaurant on Newbury Street in
Boston. The service was appalling (I had to get up and light the
candle on our table myself, our order was forced upon us and the
waitress kept interrupting our conversations). To top that, the owner
followed us out of the restaurant making a big scene about the
inadequate tip & how we had spent 2 hours eating our food and was
extremely rude. What difference does it make if take 15 minutes or 2
hours to finish our food - the whole place was empty!! And for good
reason. The food was was overpriced and definitely not worth ruining
your evening for. I was appalled by our experience and am posting this
so other people won't have to go through a similar experience. Unless
you want to chance ruining your evening as well - avoid this place!

Here are some quotes & links that I'm posting as for your benefit:

http://www.boston.com/dining/restaurant/1431
"Owner does everthing he is the chef the waiter the valet , one
wonders if this man Mr sayeh even sleeps Be prepared to empty your
wallet, He pours wine you didn't even order. Then over charges. If you
like pushy people, cutting in on almost every conversation dine at the
jewel of Newbury."

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/dining...&&review_id=21

"I'd like the 1998 Guigal cotes du Rhone," my wine-savvy friend said
at the beginning of our first meal at the exotic Back Bay restaurant
Jewel of Newbury, a place of excitement and some mystery. Our
energetic host, the native Algerian Mouldi Sayeh, had greeted us with
the kind of enthusiasm that implied we should do what he thought best.

Sayeh reached behind my friend and plucked a bottle from the shelf
running above the tables. "We have 1999," he said, as if discovering
an even better treat than she had asked for. But my friend had seen
1998 on the wine list, and that was what she wanted. "What about the
'98?" she asked. There was a hurt pause. "But, Madam," the host
replied with aplomb, "this is 2002!"

That's the way dinners go at Jewel of Newbury: Whatever you ask for,
you get what Sayeh thinks you should get, and regardless of what's on
the menu, you have what he and the kitchen staff made that day."

"Sayeh and I began a long conversation about North African cuisine,
during which I made the error of assuming that, because I knew a bit
about Moroccan and Tunisian food, I might know something about the
food of his home country. I was welcome to try his food, Sayeh said,
when and if I left my preconceptions at the door."

"The Jewel is really a kind of a club, built around the personality of
the proprietor. The "dues" are hoping you'll find Sayeh in good humor
— and being willing to take whatever the kitchen has to offer."

Also check out these articles that profile the owner:

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/sto...918/FP_004.htm
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...ter.net&rnum=1

In ne.food Raman > wrote:
> We had a horrible experience at this restaurant on Newbury Street in
> Boston.

Wow. I want to go there just for the experience. It sounds like a real
trip.