Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default The easiest Sour Dough Bread

With all of the advice and comments on this board, I have gotten really good with my whole wheat sour dough process. It has gotten so easy that I almost feel guilty not taking anymore time to work the dough.

I grind the wheat, mix the dough in a large single bowl, cover it. Approx every hour or so I reach in and roll/knead the dough in the bowl taking no more than 1 minute each time. I do this about 3 times or so. Then I let it rise a few hours, maybe give it another knead, then let it rise again. I just work around my schedule. If I am gone for hours at a time, then I let it rise on the counter at room temp so it takes longer to rise. If I am around the house I will let it rise in a warm oven. Whatever I do though, it is really quick, easy and produces delicious bread.

Even though we have a mixer and about any other machines we need in the kitchen, I do not use them or need them. When it is all over, I wash one bowl and a couple of utensils and maybe the starter container. VERY EASY. Just had 8 beautiful loaves come out of the oven just in time for dinner!

I also just recv'd some Kefir grains and am making my own kefir to drink and make cheese. Just a couple of small jars of 'critters' growing in the corner of my kitchen cabinet and a couple of tiny jars of starter in the refridgerator. So I am considered a 'nut' around my house, but who cares!

John
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi John,

This post really caught my eye as what you describe is exactly what I
am looking for. Can you direct me to specific (as detailed as possible)
recipe and instructions on making whole wheat bread like this?

Does your method produce a reasonably well risen loaf, as opposed to a
brick?

Many thanks for the inspiration.

Regards,

Eric

BigJohn wrote:
> [...]
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Even though we have a mixer and about any other
> machines we need in the kitchen, I do not use them or need them.&nbsp; When it
> is all over, I wash one bowl and a couple of utensils and maybe the starter
> container.&nbsp; VERY EASY.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just had 8 beautiful loaves come out of
> the oven just in time for dinner!</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I also just recv'd some Kefir grains and am making
> my own kefir to drink and make cheese.&nbsp; Just a couple of small jars of
> 'critters' growing in the corner of my kitchen cabinet and a couple of tiny jars
> of starter in the refridgerator.&nbsp; So I am considered a 'nut' around my
> house, but who cares!</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>John</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"BigJohn" > wrote in message ...
(...)
Approx every hour or so I reach in and roll/knead the dough in the bowl taking no more than 1 minute each time. I do this about 3 times or so. Then I let it rise a few hours, maybe give it another knead, then let it rise again. I just work around my schedule. If I am gone for hours at a time, then I let it rise on the counter at room temp so it takes longer to rise. If I am around the house I will let it rise in a warm oven. Whatever I do though, it is really quick, easy and produces delicious bread.

The Human Bread Machine!!

Even though we have a mixer and about any other machines we need in the kitchen, I do not use them or need them. When it is all over, I wash one bowl and a couple of utensils and maybe the starter container. VERY EASY. Just had 8 beautiful loaves come out of the oven just in time for dinner!

8....wow!

I also just recv'd some Kefir grains and am making my own kefir to drink and make cheese. Just a couple of small jars of 'critters' growing in the corner of my kitchen cabinet and a couple of tiny jars of starter in the refridgerator. So I am considered a 'nut' around my house, but who cares!

Hooray for the nuts! The wacky folks always eat better.....
I've gotten pretty comfortable with the baking routine too. I do a bit more mixing -- mainly as a batter before the larger part of the flour is added, but after that, it's just coasting. Sourdough is much more forgiving than dough raised with commercial yeast! It never seems to flop on me. Now that the intensely experimental phase is over, it has become an almost meditative process. The kids & I haven't bought commercial bread since the starter arrived a couple of months ago. Nothing gets hopelessly screwed up. Mind-blowing.
By the boo, where'd you get your kefir grains?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Here is my recipe. My bread does double or triple in volume as it rises
and my bread is light (in my opinion). I am sure it is as light as white
flour, but as you get used to the ww flour, you get better and better at
making it lighter. The buttermilk goes a long way in helping with the
kneading process and making the bread soft. Also, I found that when I make
miniature loaves of bread in small bread pans, the bread it much lighter for
some reason.

Simple whole wheat recipe:
approx. 1 1/2 cups active starter

5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I do grind it fresh so another type of flour
may require more or less liquid)

2 cups water (I now use buttermilk which takes about 3 cups)

2 tsps sea salt

Mix it well, cover it, and for the first 3 hours or so, just roll and knead
it inside the bowl for about 1 minute each hour. (You will see that the
dough is getting smooth and elastic). After that, let it double in volume
or more, knead it again for a minute, and let it rise again, knead it gently
again, then let it do its' final rising and baking. 35 minutes on about 375
degrees. It takes me about 9 to 10 hours from start to finish.

Hope this makes sense ...................

"Breadtopia" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
>> starter
>> container.&nbsp; VERY EASY.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just had 8 beautiful loaves come
>> out of
>> the oven just in time for dinner!</FONT></DIV>
>> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
>> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I also just recv'd some Kefir grains and am
>> making
>> my own kefir to drink and make cheese.&nbsp; Just a couple of small jars
>> of
>> 'critters' growing in the corner of my kitchen cabinet and a couple of
>> tiny jars
>> of starter in the refridgerator.&nbsp; So I am considered a 'nut' around
>> my
>> house, but who cares!</FONT></DIV>
>> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>John</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 27 Jun 2006 01:35:51 -0700, "Glenn"
> wrote:

>It's was quite satisfying to see the small rolls blow up like small
>baloons
>in only 30 minutes or so .-)

Howdy,

I've said for years that in this regard, making bread is
rather like making wine...

Certainly it is possible to ferment grape juice (or dough)
quickly, but the great tastes come with time.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks for the info, John. Yes, that does make sense.

Just one question. I suppose the 1 1/2 cups of starter is just a plain
white flour based starter, and not a ww starter, right?

Eric

BigJohn wrote:
> [...]
> >> starter
> >> container.&nbsp; VERY EASY.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just had 8 beautiful loaves come
> >> out of
> >> the oven just in time for dinner!</FONT></DIV>
> >> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> >> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I also just recv'd some Kefir grains and am
> >> making
> >> my own kefir to drink and make cheese.&nbsp; Just a couple of small jars
> >> of
> >> 'critters' growing in the corner of my kitchen cabinet and a couple of
> >> tiny jars
> >> of starter in the refridgerator.&nbsp; So I am considered a 'nut' around
> >> my
> >> house, but who cares!</FONT></DIV>
> >> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> >> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>John</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Exactly. Unbleached white. I hate the taste of ww flour starter and it
also smells terrible to me. The starter made with white flour has a good
smell. All of the other ingredients are more wholesome. You might want to
try a couple of tablespoons of olive oil later. But it is just as good
without it.

"Breadtopia" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks for the info, John. Yes, that does make sense.
>
> Just one question. I suppose the 1 1/2 cups of starter is just a plain
> white flour based starter, and not a ww starter, right?
>
> Eric
>

> BigJohn wrote:
>> Here is my recipe. My bread does double or triple in volume as it rises
>> and my bread is light (in my opinion). I am sure it is as light as white
>> flour, but as you get used to the ww flour, you get better and better at
>> making it lighter. The buttermilk goes a long way in helping with the
>> kneading process and making the bread soft. Also, I found that when I
>> make
>> miniature loaves of bread in small bread pans, the bread it much lighter
>> for
>> some reason.
>>
>> Simple whole wheat recipe:
>> approx. 1 1/2 cups active starter
>>
>> 5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I do grind it fresh so another type of
>> flour
>> may require more or less liquid)
>>
>> 2 cups water (I now use buttermilk which takes about 3 cups)
>>
>> 2 tsps sea salt
>>
>> Mix it well, cover it, and for the first 3 hours or so, just roll and
>> knead
>> it inside the bowl for about 1 minute each hour. (You will see that the
>> dough is getting smooth and elastic). After that, let it double in
>> volume
>> or more, knead it again for a minute, and let it rise again, knead it
>> gently
>> again, then let it do its' final rising and baking. 35 minutes on about
>> 375
>> degrees. It takes me about 9 to 10 hours from start to finish.
>>

>> Hope this makes sense ...................
>>
>> "Breadtopia" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Hi John,
>> >
>> > This post really caught my eye as what you describe is exactly what I
>> > am looking for. Can you direct me to specific (as detailed as possible)
>> > recipe and instructions on making whole wheat bread like this?
>> >
>> > Does your method produce a reasonably well risen loaf, as opposed to a
>> > brick?
>> >
>> > Many thanks for the inspiration.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Eric

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

BigJohn wrote:

> I hate the taste of ww flour starter and it
> also smells terrible to me.

One of my sons isn't particularly fond of red wheat. He is good with
white wheat flour and rye. Have you tried those?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Yes, I used white wheat exclusively to begin with, but it has such a blan
taste. I mix most of my wheat now 1/2 red and 1/2 white when I make bread
and it gives such a good flavor. Using freshly ground wheat of both kinds
produces the same result (an extremely unappetizing smell). I guess the
freshly ground wheat is stronger than maybe store bought that may have been
ground weeks or months back. I have not tried whole wheat flour from the
store to see if it works any better. The AP flour works so well that I
really don't have any desire to change my 'ways'.

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> BigJohn wrote:
>
>> I hate the taste of ww flour starter and it
>> also smells terrible to me.

> One of my sons isn't particularly fond of red wheat. He is good with
> white wheat flour and rye. Have you tried those?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

BigJohn wrote:

> 2 cups water (I now use buttermilk which takes about 3 cups)

Have you tried replacing the buttermilk with your kefir? It does a
great job!

Nancy

Sour dough [email protected] Sourdough 0 10-04-2009 02:45 AM
Dry Sour dough D and d Jordan Baking 7 24-10-2007 08:13 PM
SOUR DOUGH STARTER Tim Recipes 0 21-12-2005 11:28 AM
Sour Dough Starter Peg Shambo Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2005 04:06 AM
Sour Dough Starter Lynn McKee Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2005 03:55 AM