Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default FAQ and bread machines

Howdy --

I've been ploughing through the FAQ pages, and while I have found a
recipe-specific reference to using a bread machine with sourdough starter,
I'm looking for something more general. Could someone either point me to
the right FAQ file (I'm blind or slightly brain-damaged; maybe both) or pass
along a website address, or maybe brilliant tips? My sister left me her
Zojirushi bread machine when she moved to Japan (should have taken it! No
fabulous bread over there!) and I was going to sell it....but realized it
might actually be useful now, since I'm baking all the bread around here for
the kids and myself. (Sourdough starter changed our universe.) Never
thought I'd be using a BREAD MACHINE. Crazy.

Thanks --

Tara

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Tara Banfield wrote:
> Howdy --
>
> I've been ploughing through the FAQ pages, and while I have found a
> recipe-specific reference to using a bread machine with sourdough starter,
> I'm looking for something more general. Could someone either point me to
> the right FAQ file (I'm blind or slightly brain-damaged; maybe both) or pass

You can check this website
http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/
which has a good collection of recipes and a troubleshooting
http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/be...ing_chart.html

> along a website address, or maybe brilliant tips? My sister left me her
> Zojirushi bread machine when she moved to Japan (should have taken it! No
> fabulous bread over there!) and I was going to sell it....but realized it

It depends on your taste for the bread. I stayed in Japan for two years
and also had a used Zojirushi bread machine. Japanese bread tends to be
"RICH", ie with lots of fat and sugar. The bread is close to the
pastry, either with some topping or stuffing.

For the loaf bread, it's always very soft (Japanese like soft bread),
due to its higher fat and sugar content than American ones.

If you like sweet and soft bread, Japanese bread does a good job. Bread
there can be eaten alone, usually not with the meal. If you like
artisan bread, well, you better make by yourself or go to bakeries in
big cities.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Tara Banfield wrote:

> Howdy --
>
> I've been ploughing through the FAQ pages, and while I have found a
> recipe-specific reference to using a bread machine with sourdough starter,
> I'm looking for something more general. Could someone either point me to
> the right FAQ file (I'm blind or slightly brain-damaged; maybe both) or pass
> along a website address, or maybe brilliant tips?

I use my ABM--a "Zo" V-20--to mix/knead the dough (usually 2 dough
cycles), then take it out to rise and bake in the oven.

The X-20 is supposed to have a sourdough cycle, but because
rising/proofing times are so variable I don't believe a strictly
mechanical approach to be trustworthy.

B/

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Tara Banfield wrote:

(Tara's sourdough safari...)

> I use my ABM--a "Zo" V-20--to mix/knead the dough (usually 2 dough
> cycles), then take it out to rise and bake in the oven.
>
> The X-20 is supposed to have a sourdough cycle, but because
> rising/proofing times are so variable I don't believe a strictly
> mechanical approach to be trustworthy.

Thank you, Brian. You have confirmed my suspicions!
Last night, I investigated the machine (it's a BBCC-Q20) and then went back
online to discover that there are a bazillion models out there. Finally
decided to just experiment, and after some stewing, I realized that I
couldn't get a long rise time in the final cycle, no matter what I did! So
after a kneading a batch of guesswork dough (which gave my 9-year-old
HYSTERICAL giggles -- he couldn't stop laughing at the bouncing blob), I
turned everything off and baked it this morning. That was some good
kneading! Loaf is lovely, though I don't like the paddle mark in the
bottom. We'll be keeping the machine for kneading and entertainment
purposes, and I'll be hunting down some decent pans -- I have just about
everything but my idea of a good loaf pan.
Thank you for the reply!

Tara

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

To get rid of the paddle mark (there will be the shaft mark but it has much
smaller footprint) I remove dough and the paddle after last mixing and
return dough for a final rise.

"Tara Banfield" > wrote in message

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Tara Banfield wrote:
> >

> (Tara's sourdough safari...)
> >
> > I use my ABM--a "Zo" V-20--to mix/knead the dough (usually 2 dough
> > cycles), then take it out to rise and bake in the oven.
> >
> > The X-20 is supposed to have a sourdough cycle, but because
> > rising/proofing times are so variable I don't believe a strictly
> > mechanical approach to be trustworthy.

> Thank you, Brian. You have confirmed my suspicions!
> Last night, I investigated the machine (it's a BBCC-Q20) and then went

back
> online to discover that there are a bazillion models out there. Finally
> decided to just experiment, and after some stewing, I realized that I
> couldn't get a long rise time in the final cycle, no matter what I did!

So
> after a kneading a batch of guesswork dough (which gave my 9-year-old
> HYSTERICAL giggles -- he couldn't stop laughing at the bouncing blob), I
> turned everything off and baked it this morning. That was some good
> kneading! Loaf is lovely, though I don't like the paddle mark in the
> bottom. We'll be keeping the machine for kneading and entertainment
> purposes, and I'll be hunting down some decent pans -- I have just about
> everything but my idea of a good loaf pan.
> Thank you for the reply!
>
> Tara

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Arek Niski wrote:
> To get rid of the paddle mark (there will be the shaft mark but it has much
> smaller footprint) I remove dough and the paddle after last mixing and
> return dough for a final rise.

there's an idea i hadn't heard of before

thanks, i'll try it

waterboy

bread machines Mr. G D Geen Baking 12 16-03-2007 09:25 PM
Bread machines Bill & Vernie Bauer Baking 1 19-04-2006 04:36 AM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
bread machines Steph G.B Baking 1 18-10-2003 08:30 PM