Posted to rec.food.baking

Default bread machines

OK, I hope this is not too troll-ish.

I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started
making my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may
make things a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make
bread making a little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising
issues without my intervention. It does not, however, really save time.
What it will do is have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get
home from work. That is a really nice feature and I do not need to wait
until midnight to eat dinner.

I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into
the hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent
about bread machines.

OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having
used one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames
to roll in.

Live well. -G
Posted to rec.food.baking

Randy Johnson wrote:
> On 15-Jan-2007, "Mr. G D Geen" > wrote:
>
>> I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started
>> making my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may
>> make things a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make
>> bread making a little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising
>> issues without my intervention. It does not, however, really save time.
>> What it will do is have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get
>> home from work. That is a really nice feature and I do not need to wait
>> until midnight to eat dinner.
>>
>> I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
>> so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into
>> the hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent
>> about bread machines.
>>
>> OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having
>> used one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames
>> to roll in.

> Based upon your comments, I conclude you paid more than $40 for a bread
> machine and you had no idea what you were doing when selecting it. The
> things you said you like can be handled by just about any bread machine,
> including the $5 yard sale variety. Unless you are destitute (in which case
> you're nuts for spending money in this way) $40 is not much of an investment
> to whine about. If you spent more than $40, you probably bought a machine
> that has features you don't need, nor will ever use.
>
> Next time you think about buying something, do some research first; figure
> out what you want and what you need (they are different things) and how much
> you are willing to spend to get it.

do my research; and yes, I did buy what I /wanted/! If I had bought
only what I needed, I would have saved that money entirely. I /do not/
need a bread machine. I wanted one.

Do not mistake my ambiguity as dissatisfaction. I am satisfied that I
purchased what I wanted. All I am saying is that I could live without
it. Dude! Take a chill pill.

-G
Posted to rec.food.baking
KD KD is offline

Mr. G D Geen wrote:
> OK, I hope this is not too troll-ish.
>
> I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started
> making my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may
> make things a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make
> bread making a little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising
> issues without my intervention. It does not, however, really save time.
> What it will do is have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get
> home from work. That is a really nice feature and I do not need to wait
> until midnight to eat dinner.
>
> I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
> so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into
> the hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent
> about bread machines.
>
> OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having
> used one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames
> to roll in.
>
> Live well. -G

Hmmm. I made my bread machine purchase for $20 at a yard sale a few
years ago and have not bought a loaf of bread since. Many pizzas and
loaves of wheat, garlic and chocolate bread later, I haven't regretted
my purchase for a minute. Perhaps you're just not a bread machine type.

Although some folks I know have compared my having a bread machine to a
drug addict having a meth lab in their basement...

KD & G

Posted to rec.food.baking

I have to keep this post short because my doctor told me I had a bad case of
the Egyptian Flu. I told him I never heard of the Egyptian Flu. He said it
was kind of like the Asian flu except you catch it from you mummy......
Nevermind.
According to King Arthur's Bakers Companion(pg.194), bread machines do a
better job kneading bread than kneading by hand or using an electric
mixer. Consequently, if I had a bread machine, which I don't, I would use it
for kneading only and do everything else myself and get the best of both
worlds.

"Mr. G D Geen" > wrote in message
> OK, I hope this is not too troll-ish.
>
> I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started
> making my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may
> make things a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make
> bread making a little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising
> issues without my intervention. It does not, however, really save time.
> What it will do is have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get home
> from work. That is a really nice feature and I do not need to wait until
> midnight to eat dinner.
>
> I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
> so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into the
> hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent about
> bread machines.
>
> OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having
> used one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames
> to roll in.
>
> Live well. -G

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> I have to keep this post short because my doctor told me I had a bad case of
> the Egyptian Flu. I told him I never heard of the Egyptian Flu. He said it
> was kind of like the Asian flu except you catch it from you mummy......
> Nevermind.
> According to King Arthur's Bakers Companion(pg.194), bread machines do a
> better job kneading bread than kneading by hand or using an electric
> mixer. Consequently, if I had a bread machine, which I don't, I would use it
> for kneading only and do everything else myself and get the best of both
> worlds.

I will agree that the bread machine does a better job of kneading than I
do. I also like the idea of tossing in the ingredients and letting
the machine do its thing. -G
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Mr. G D Geen" > wrote in message
> OK, I hope this is not too troll-ish.
>
> I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started
> making my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may
> make things a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make
> bread making a little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising
> issues without my intervention. It does not, however, really save time.
> What it will do is have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get home
> from work. That is a really nice feature and I do not need to wait until
> midnight to eat dinner.
>
> I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
> so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into the
> hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent about
> bread machines.
>
> OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having
> used one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames
> to roll in.
>
> Live well. -G

G, what machine did you buy???
Does it work, and do what you hoped it would?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.baking

A few bullet points:

If you do not use a bread machine are you comfortable kneading by hand
for 20 minutes?
I live in a place where winter gets too cold. Raising in room
temperature during winter is not an option.
You are in control what ingredients go to your bread (no preservatives)!
Which bread tastes better - one hot out of the oven or the one that was
manufactured a day or two ago (By the way I use the machine to help me
knead and raise - I bake it in a oven for better crust).
Creativity - you can create new kind of bread. If you goof up - what do
you lose - 50 cents or if you buy top of the line products - a dollar.

Mr. G D Geen wrote:
> OK, I hope this is not too troll-ish.
>
> I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started
> making my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may
> make things a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make
> bread making a little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising
> issues without my intervention. It does not, however, really save time.
> What it will do is have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get home
> from work. That is a really nice feature and I do not need to wait
> until midnight to eat dinner.
>
> I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
> so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into
> the hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent
> about bread machines.
>
> OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having
> used one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames
> to roll in.
>
> Live well. -G

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:35:26 -0600, "Mr. G D Geen" > wrote:

>I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think
>so but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into
>the hopper and press the button....

I think the ambivalence is normal.

We will always have a bread machine for at least one task: dumping ingredients
in before going to bed, and waking up to the smell of a fresh English muffin
loaf on the weekends.

-- Larry (loves nooks and crannies on *both* sides!)
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:10:26 GMT, "Randy Johnson" > wrote:

>On 15-Mar-2007, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> -- Larry (loves nooks and crannies on *both* sides!)

>Pervert!!!!!

Why, thank you!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:30:18 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>>> -- Larry (loves nooks and crannies on *both* sides!)

>>Pervert!!!!!

>Why, thank you!

....and butter. Did I mention butter? Slathered on lasciviously?

-- Larry (still not sated...)
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Sridhar Sathya" > wrote in message
>A few bullet points:
>
> If you do not use a bread machine are you comfortable kneading by hand for 20
> minutes?
> I live in a place where winter gets too cold. Raising in room temperature
> during winter is not an option.
> You are in control what ingredients go to your bread (no preservatives)!
> Which bread tastes better - one hot out of the oven or the one that was
> manufactured a day or two ago (By the way I use the machine to help me knead
> and raise - I bake it in a oven for better crust).
> Creativity - you can create new kind of bread. If you goof up - what do you
> lose - 50 cents or if you buy top of the line products - a dollar.
>

> Mr. G D Geen wrote:
>> OK, I hope this is not too troll-ish.
>>
>> I bought myself a bread machine for Christmas. I had recently started making
>> my own bread, rolls, etc. and thought that this little gadget may make things
>> a little easier. All in all I would say yes, it does make bread making a
>> little easier as it takes care of the kneading and rising issues without my
>> intervention. It does not, however, really save time. What it will do is
>> have a loaf a bread ready for dinner when I get home from work. That is a
>> really nice feature and I do not need to wait until midnight to eat dinner.
>>

>> I am not sure that it was worth the investment. At times I do not think so
>> but at other times it is just so nice to dump the ingredients into the
>> hopper and press the button. At best I can say I am ambivalent about bread
>> machines.
>>
>> OK, I know that this topic has been done to death. Now, finally having used
>> one I have an opinion. I will now sit back and wait for the flames to roll
>> in.
>>
>> Live well. -

We have had our bread machine for at least 7 years. We used it a lot the first
3 years or so but health problem's have stopped me from using it much of late.
Now though i have found it helpful in place of a good mixer that I Don't have
for things like mixing up things. My health issues stop me from doing things
that the bread maker allows me to do again like the 3 batches of Irish soda
bread i made this week. Since i am permanently disabled it is a blessing to
have! Nice to find a use for something i already own.

It was also nice to use the dough cycle and baked the dough in a conventional
pan after a final rise in the regular bread pan.

-Sautéed poo is still poo.

Bread Machines KenK General Cooking 6 26-05-2009 01:53 AM
Bread machines Bill & Vernie Bauer Baking 1 19-04-2006 04:36 AM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
bread machines Steph G.B Baking 1 18-10-2003 08:30 PM