Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default I think I may have poisoned my family

The bread was a success, well, sort of. Loaf rose and baked perfectly. The
taste was good, slightly sour, but very tangy. Only one problem, the entire
family, who ate the bread, has the squirts today. I am thinking it must be
from the sourdough, as its the only thing we all ate that was the same. Can
sourdough cause the squirts? Should I toss this starter and start again?
It was the grape starter that I used, maybe its poison......

Sour-tummy Cookie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

http://www.geocities.com/bilyun21/pictures/Goofy.jpg

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"hutchndi" > wrote in message

> http://www.geocities.com/bilyun21/pictures/Goofy.jpg
>
> hutchndi

Lol, thanks.

Cookie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"CookieChick" > wrote in message
> The bread was a success, well, sort of. Loaf rose and baked perfectly.
> The taste was good, slightly sour, but very tangy. Only one problem, the
> entire family, who ate the bread, has the squirts today. I am thinking it
> must be from the sourdough, as its the only thing we all ate that was the
> same. Can sourdough cause the squirts? Should I toss this starter and
> start again? It was the grape starter that I used, maybe its poison......
>
> Sour-tummy Cookie

Goofy aside, actually, one can have an allergic reaction to anything I
guess. There are warnings that come with starters that this is a food
product, and guidelines concerning allergies and such are to be followed. A
new home starter? From what I gather, the good relationship of organisms in
the mix take a few weeks to establish, and before that there can be battles
going on in there between good and evil, so I wouldnt toss it, let the
battle rage a while. I may well be wrong, perhaps one of the sourdough gods
will excrete some blessed wisdom upon the subject.

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Maybe it was the starter, maybe not. But if it is the starter, you've
stumbled into a major money maker. There's a huge market for
de-toxifiers and such that are predicated on clean bowels <g>.

By-the-buy, you can experience the same "cleansing" if you let some
fresh apple juice bubble a bit. Fermented fruit hasn't changed much in
the last couple of thousand years.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> By-the-buy, you can experience the same "cleansing" if you let some
> fresh apple juice bubble a bit. Fermented fruit hasn't changed much in
> the last couple of thousand years.

I prefer a good Bordeaux:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

The internal temp of bread gets to around 200 degrees when it bakes. I
would think that would kill any and all critters that might be lurking.

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Maybe it was the starter, maybe not. But if it is the starter, you've
> stumbled into a major money maker. There's a huge market for
> de-toxifiers and such that are predicated on clean bowels <g>.
>
> By-the-buy, you can experience the same "cleansing" if you let some
> fresh apple juice bubble a bit. Fermented fruit hasn't changed much in
> the last couple of thousand years.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Walden Manor, including Chip, Skipper, Sky, Sue wrote:

> The internal temp of bread gets to around 200 degrees when it bakes. I
> would think that would kill any and all critters that might be lurking.

I would think so too.

They also tend to die abruptly when exposed to stomach acid. So either
way it's not a living critter that gets you... it's the metabolic
residuals.