Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough Culture

Hi,
I have a new website which sells sourdough starter, but also has a lot
of free information about
recipes, techniques, and pictures of sourdough bread baked at home. You
can print out the information for free. You may find some techniques to
help you bake sourdough bread. I thankyou for the opportunity to show
off my new site and I hope you can find something useful.

Happy Baking,
http://www.northwestsourdough.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 15 Feb 2006 08:28:14 -0800, "northwestsourdough.com"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a new website which sells sourdough starter, but also has a lot
>of free information about
>recipes, techniques, and pictures of sourdough bread baked at home. You
>can print out the information for free. You may find some techniques to
>help you bake sourdough bread. I thankyou for the opportunity to show
>off my new site and I hope you can find something useful.
>
>Happy Baking,
>http://www.northwestsourdough.com

How many groups have you posted this to, in total?

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Not only that, by why start another sourdough group on Yahoo (as mentioned
on your website) when one already exists? Yet another person using a Yahoo
group to forward their commercial ambitions in the guise of providing
information, I guess.

- Steve

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On 15 Feb 2006 08:28:14 -0800, "northwestsourdough.com"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have a new website which sells sourdough starter, but also has a lot
>>of free information about
>>recipes, techniques, and pictures of sourdough bread baked at home. You
>>can print out the information for free. You may find some techniques to
>>help you bake sourdough bread. I thankyou for the opportunity to show
>>off my new site and I hope you can find something useful.
>>
>>Happy Baking,
>>http://www.northwestsourdough.com

> How many groups have you posted this to, in total?
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron,As I replied in the other forum, I deliberately went to the
different
forums and posted my invitation to visit my new website. It is aimed at

those that like sourdough. I have posted it all over the internet. If
you want to visit and see my new site please do. If you like what you
see you can print it off for free. If you don't others might.It is nice
to see you on all of the forums! Thankyou
for your interest.
Teresa

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"northwestsourdough.com" > wrote in message oups.com...

> > > http://www.northwestsourdough.com/

> ... I deliberately went to the different forums and posted my invitation
> to visit my new website. It is aimed at those that like sourdough. I have
> posted it all over the internet.

You found a good many of the places where sourdough is discussed.
Possibly you are ready to lurk and read FAQs and do the various things
appropriate to prepare oneself for Usenet posting. After that you might want
to refine your SD baking procedures according to the best cogent
information you can find, and to whatever innovations may seem reasonable
to you after you, or others, thoroughly test and improve your procedures,
and give some further thought to your sourdough web page.

With respect to your pandering of a dry start, you might first compare the
revivability of your starts to such standards as Carl's (www.carlsfriends.org)
and to Mr. Baker's specifically ordered from http://tinyurl.com/6vm9g who
supply it fresh even though that brand continues to be undated.

--
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Personally, one of my favorite reasons that I like using sourdough to
make my bread, is because I am free from buying commercial yeast. The
fact that you can make great bread basicly by just having flour and
water makes my little chest puff up and gives me a self sufficient
smirk. The great community of nice people that kindly offer to share
free starter to fellow bakers strengthens my resolve to stay this way.
Besides Carlsfriends, just about anybody here, including myself, would
give or send free starter to someone in need. Its part of the fun. My
own reaction when visiting a sourdough website that offers to sell
starter is to flee, and never visit again, and I urge anyone else to do
the same (sorry to all you otherwise great advice givers, but I dont
visit you sites either, if your selling starter). A suggestion? Remove
the $tarter offer if you are going to advertise here, you will only get
bad press.

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Yep, and this makes good sense, however I am trying to help feed my
children and be responsible for doing so myself. Sometimes people just
need to make a living. I am trying to do so with my own hard work and
ingenuity.
Teresa
northwestsourdough.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 18 Feb 2006 09:21:30 -0800, " > wrote:

>Yep, and this makes good sense, however I am trying to help feed my
>children and be responsible for doing so myself. Sometimes people just
>need to make a living. I am trying to do so with my own hard work and
>ingenuity.
>Teresa

All of us with families do our best to provide for them and most of us
do so honestly and without annoying other people while we do it.

I, for one, feel you need to be reported to gmail as a repeated
spammer.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

northwestsourdough.com wrote:

> Yep, and this makes good sense, however I am trying to help feed my
> children and be responsible for doing so myself. Sometimes people just
> need to make a living. I am trying to do so with my own hard work and
> ingenuity.

And you're teaching your children that they can steal other people's
time, money, and energy in doing so. I've heard it from the source
itself, one of the sysadmins for AOL and speaking in an official
capacity: monthly charges would be $3 less a month if it wasn't for
spammers.

Would you pay for an ad? If not, why not?

Boron's right about reporting you to gmail, much good that will do. But
if you're using your site to mail your spam from, you may find it on
many of the block lists.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

northwestsourdough.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a new website which sells sourdough starter, but also has a lot
> of free information about
> recipes, techniques, and pictures of sourdough bread baked at home. You
> can print out the information for free. You may find some techniques to
> help you bake sourdough bread. I thankyou for the opportunity to show
> off my new site and I hope you can find something useful.
>
> Happy Baking,
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com

I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you have a site
promoting sourdough bread and I am happy to see that you have created
such a nice site. Not sure why so many folks are threatened by your
site. The more the better. Just more opportunities for folks to get
'hooked' on healthy homemade sourdough breads!

I guess you cannot please everyone! Hope you do well and make a bunch
of money!

John

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Here is the link to the usenet advertising policy.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/adve.../how-to/part1/

Essentially, one is allowed on a "one-time" basis to make a commercial
announcement. The policy is well explained. It goes into some depth
discussing why use-net and google groups ARE NOT commercial space.

Sourdough is a wonderful thing. Stick around and post with us. But be
careful with the business. It has a better chance if you play fair.

Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you have a site
promoting sourdough bread and I am happy to see that you have created
such a nice site. Not sure why so many folks are threatened by your
site. The more the better. Just more opportunities for folks to get
'hooked' on healthy homemade sourdough breads!

I guess you cannot please everyone! Hope you do well and make a bunch
of money!

John

I just wanted to thankyou John for your kindness and Will I also
thankyou for your comments, I just wanted to say that I only listed my
invitation to visit my website ONCE on each site had something to do
with bread or cooking, and then I thanked the site for allowing me to
do so because I got such an overwhelming response on my site.
I think some of the repeats you are seeing are people quoting me. I
don't intend to make any more invitations, I did reply to a few of the
comments made to me. I do like thanking people. I know that there were
a few unkind comments made to me, I didn't understand how upset some
people were about that kind of an invitation. However, I personally
recieved very many kind replies and comments and I thank all of you who
made them.
Teresa
northwestsourdough.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

northwestsourdough.com wrote:

> ... I didn't understand how upset some
> people were about that kind of an invitation.

An invitation to lighten wallets.

> I know that there were few unkind comments made to me,

Few have been "unkind," in fact, some have gone out of their way to
educate you.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman wrote:

> northwestsourdough.com wrote:
>
> > I know that there were few unkind comments made to me,

> Few have been "unkind," in fact, some have gone out of their way to
> educate you.

This is not a "site" like a web site, it's a Usenet discussion group.
Not only that, there's an email list attached to it. It is not a
bulletin board at the laundromat to pin up announcements.

What you have done is walked into a group of people having a
conversation and interrupted trying to sell them something. Would you
appreciate that if it happened to you?

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> northwestsourdough.com wrote:
>>
>> > I know that there were few unkind comments made to me,

>> Few have been "unkind," in fact, some have gone out of their way to
>> educate you.

> This is not a "site" like a web site, it's a Usenet discussion group.
> Not only that, there's an email list attached to it. It is not a
> bulletin board at the laundromat to pin up announcements.
>
> What you have done is walked into a group of people having a
> conversation and interrupted trying to sell them something. Would you
> appreciate that if it happened to you?
>
> B/

Geez, guys, cut her a little slack, for once.

She did post ONE TIME, and got thoroughly flamed by multiple peole, who
are burning one hell of a lot more bandwidth than Teresa ever did in the
first place. She's not forcing you to read her posts, and cetainly not
forcing you to buy her culture. If the instructions and recipes on her
site could use a little improvement, so what? Did *you* start out,
knowing everything?

If the group of people having a conversation here would just go back to
what they were doing, the whole thing would blow over. Try welcoming her
and giving her a little kind advice, like a few have done, instead of
trying to play moderator!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dave Bell" > wrote

> She did post ONE TIME, and got thoroughly flamed by multiple peole, who
> are burning one hell of a lot more bandwidth than Teresa ever did in the
> first place. She's not forcing you to read her posts, and cetainly not
> forcing you to buy her culture. If the instructions and recipes on her
> site could use a little improvement, so what? Did *you* start out, knowing
> everything?
>
> If the group of people having a conversation here would just go back to
> what they were doing, the whole thing would blow over. Try welcoming her
> and giving her a little kind advice, like a few have done, instead of
> trying to play moderator!

Dave, encourage her if you must. She will no doubt respond with another
"Thank You" post, including but another link to her website, using the group
(groups) as a springboard to fame and fortune. The more links like this that
are posted anywhere in cyberspace, the more likely search engines will pick
up on her site, so her one time post has more than served its purpose. If
you think she is not being rude, or is unaware of what she is doing, try
surfing to her site, then click the "back" button in your browser. One of
the most vile and annoying internet tricks is to make a website like this,
it drives me nuts. Here is a description copied from a "how to be a web page
author" site:

"Disabling the back button: Evil site authors long ago figured out how to
break a browser's back button so that when a user pushes it, several
undesirable things happen: There's an immediate redirect to an unwanted
location, the browser stays put because the back button has been
deactivated, or a new window pops up and takes over the screen. Porno site
authors are masters of this-their code is often so malicious that frequently
the only way to break the cycle is to restart the computer-but this trick
has gained currency with other kinds of site builders. My advice: Never do
it. All that's accomplished is viewers get annoyed."

There is some advice for her.

So lets get back to what we were doing, I just pulled two nice loaves from
the oven this morning, 20% whole wheat berries soaker, nice improvement over
my last try. Cooling and crackling (my favorite song) at this very moment.
My liquid starter was much more active this time, and the smaller soaker
addition had a few more days of softening behind it. Rise was slow still,
but much higher. Experiments to continue...

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > in message
said to about the announcement
of
http://www.northwestsourdough.com

> I, for one, feel you need to be reported to gmail as a repeated
> spammer.

Who would have figured that old Boron could be cantankerous?
Well, that's good -- newsgroups these days need all the help they
can get for discouraging inappropriate posts. I have long believed
that positive inducements to avoid useless posts should be
encouraged.

Well, there is yet another constructive suggestion that might be added:
Somebody familiar with the better mail-order starters might usefully,
and in the public interest, check out a packet of the "northwest"
starter and post a brief report, particularly with respect to time to
revive and leavening ability.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:54:02 GMT, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>Brian Mailman wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> Few have been "unkind," in fact, some have gone out of their way to
>>> educate you.

>> This is not a "site" like a web site, it's a Usenet discussion group.
>> Not only that, there's an email list attached to it. It is not a
>> bulletin board at the laundromat to pin up announcements.
>>
>> What you have done is walked into a group of people having a
>> conversation and interrupted trying to sell them something. Would you
>> appreciate that if it happened to you?
>>
>> B/

>Geez, guys, cut her a little slack, for once.
>
>She did post ONE TIME, and got thoroughly flamed by multiple peole, who
>are burning one hell of a lot more bandwidth than Teresa ever did in the
>first place.

And then, she posted again, in a NEW THREAD.

>She's not forcing you to read her posts, and cetainly not
>forcing you to buy her culture. If the instructions and recipes on her
>site could use a little improvement, so what? Did *you* start out,
>knowing everything?

She posted in multiple groups. This started additional threads in
multiple groups. She blasted her webpage links multiple times all over
all of her posts and replies, then gave a BS song and dance story
about supporting her children.

>If the group of people having a conversation here would just go back to
>what they were doing, the whole thing would blow over. Try welcoming her
>and giving her a little kind advice, like a few have done, instead of
>trying to play moderator!

Conversation is fun. Learning from new people is fun, too. In none of
the groups where she posted did she post first as a contributor to any
conversation, but came in full blast with a sales pitch to each and
every group to which she posted.

Again, once she started an additional thread, so that those who had
KFed her first one would STILL see her ads, then it became abuse
reportable to gmail.

She did not back off when told what she had done was not appropriate
Usenet behavior.. Had she done that, it could be thought of as an
error by a newbie, but to deliberately start a NEW thread with all the
deliberate link promotion within it and then to try to justify all the
Usenet litter with a sob story is too much to bother with.

I would never trust a merchant who is so crooked right off the bat.
She has a full store on that website. This was an advertising ploy,
pure and simple.

I belong to a lot of groups where merchants also post, but they post
as contributors and do not misuse the groups as cheap advertising.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Conversation is fun. Learning from new people is fun, too. In none of
> the groups where she posted did she post first as a contributor to any
> conversation

I think you have a point here. On the other hand, if you built a site,
you would use an e-addy to conform with the site URL. I suppose you
could keep using your regular ISP e-mail account but why would you?

It is premature to write N.W. off as a crook. No one is getting rich
off of $5.95 bags of starter with $1.95 shipping. It's not Carl's, and
if I was going to acquire starter, I'd go there, but it's not robbery
either. And it's certainly not the "found in a New Zealand volcano"
nonsense that we see from another vendor, often mentioned here.

I think we ought to let this go. If N.W. keeps working the business
angle here, we can call the spam police. But otherwise, the ad policy
link that I posted earlier in the thread should provide guidence. N.W
has had her one-time, let's see whether she sticks to it.

Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Can you sort out this stuff offline, please.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
td td is offline

Would somebody please repost the web address. I want to see what all
the fuss is aboutl...

In article
ountainbitwarrior.com>,
Samartha Deva > wrote:

> Can you sort out this stuff offline, please.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"td" > wrote in message
> Would somebody please repost the web address. I want to see what all
> the fuss is aboutl...

NO

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dave Bell wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:

(snip)

> Geez, guys, cut her a little slack, for once.

I did. I spent the time trying to educate her. If I hadn't cut her
slack... well, no need to detail the unpleasantness I would have
attempted to cause her.

Apparently the conclusions about teaching pigs to sing applies here also.

As for the rest, see Boron Elgar's reply to you, I couldn't agree more.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Will wrote:

> It is premature to write N.W. off as a crook. No one is getting rich
> off of $5.95 bags of starter with $1.95 shipping.

Well, ok, so she's a stupid spammer, since there's Carl's, my SF
sourdough starter, and Kenneth's Acme-derived all for the price of a SASE.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Will wrote:
>
>> It is premature to write N.W. off as a crook. No one is getting rich
>> off of $5.95 bags of starter with $1.95 shipping.

> Well, ok, so she's a stupid spammer, since there's Carl's, my SF
> sourdough starter, and Kenneth's Acme-derived all for the price of a SASE.

She's also trying to make money off her links to baking gear on Amazon. It's
a paid affiliate program. So, the scheme is to get more people to come to
her Web site and they're more likely to click one of those links and buy
something. Then she gets the credit. A huge number of Web sites have little
other reason to exist other than these affiliate programs. The good ones
are pretty lucrative. But the good ones also have some quality content. Not
the case with NW.