Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough Culture for Whole Wheat

I am currently looking for a sourdough culture that does well with
whole wheat. I use Carl's, it works but I think the taste is a little
bland with whole wheat. Suggestions on cultures and sources will be
appreciated. TIA
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Bob K wrote:
> I am currently looking for a sourdough culture that does well with
> whole wheat. I use Carl's, it works but I think the taste is a little
> bland with whole wheat. Suggestions on cultures and sources will be
> appreciated. TIA

HI Bob, I just responded to a question asking just about the same
thing. I made my own from spelt, I like this one a lot. I've also made
them from the berries of wheat and rye and one from kamut. Both are
really nice. The starter available from Sourdo.com, the South African
is very sour, this might be to your taste or not. Try making your own
from wheat and rye berries.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...38f5290c695c70

Will's method works well.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 10 Feb 2006 04:29:28 -0800, "TG" > wrote:

>Bob K wrote:
>> I am currently looking for a sourdough culture that does well with
>> whole wheat. I use Carl's, it works but I think the taste is a little
>> bland with whole wheat. Suggestions on cultures and sources will be
>> appreciated. TIA

>HI Bob, I just responded to a question asking just about the same
>thing. I made my own from spelt, I like this one a lot. I've also made
>them from the berries of wheat and rye and one from kamut. Both are
>really nice. The starter available from Sourdo.com, the South African
>is very sour, this might be to your taste or not. Try making your own
>from wheat and rye berries.
>http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...38f5290c695c70
>
>Will's method works well.
>
>TG

Thanks for the response; BTW, the other message was mine too, new
version of Agent and my trial message got away... But thanks again
for the response and the link.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

It sounds interesting and I will have to give it a try.

I just used a rye flour starter I made. It worked but it didn't produce
a sour bread.

I imagine I could just convert some of my new rye starter for use with
the soaked, mashed whole grain?

Bob K wrote:
> I am currently looking for a sourdough culture that does well with
> whole wheat. I use Carl's, it works but I think the taste is a little
> bland with whole wheat. Suggestions on cultures and sources will be
> appreciated. TIA

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Bob K wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2006 04:29:28 -0800, "TG" > wrote:
>

> >Bob K wrote:
> >> I am currently lo> >HI Bob, I jus

> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...38f5290c695c70
> >
> >Will's method works well.