Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Bob K

Default Use of Vital Wheat Gluten in Sourdough Whole Wheat

I would like to get others opinions on the use of Vital Wheat Gluten
Flour to build up the gluten is sourdough whole wheat bread.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
danube

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:52:00 -0600, Bob K wrote:

> I would like to get others opinions on the use of Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
> to build up the gluten is sourdough whole wheat bread.

I found that when I rear the starter with strong flour I do not need extra
gluten. Wholemeal flour itself is very rich in protein and would provide
ample gluten.

JB
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Chembake

>I would like to get others opinions on the use of Vital Wheat Gluten
>Flour to build up the gluten is sourdough whole wheat bread

More than a year ago in one artisan bakery,I was connected with they
really added a small amount of vital wheat 'Gluten in their 100%
traditional sourdough wheat bread. recipes to improve the dough volume
and texture....

In the starter they incorporate 1 % gluten and 1% -2 % more in the
dough side....

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Randall Nortman

On 2006-01-20, Bob K > wrote:
> I would like to get others opinions on the use of Vital Wheat Gluten
> Flour to build up the gluten is sourdough whole wheat bread.

I used to do it, but have stopped. It tends to make the bread too
tough and chewy. You can use 1-2%, but good, fresh whole wheat flour
doesn't need it if properly kneaded. Don't expect the bread to look
(or taste) like white bread. It can be helpful if you have a lot of
extra weight in there from whole or cracked grains or seeds, but even
then it is not necessary. What you gain in volume you lose in
tenderness.

By all means, though, try it yourself and see what you think.

--
Randall

Source for Vital Wheat Gluten in Uk Rachel Grier Vegan 0 24-01-2007 03:58 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 18 15-01-2005 06:19 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Sourdough 18 15-01-2005 06:19 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 0 13-01-2005 08:56 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Sourdough 0 13-01-2005 08:56 PM