Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Default Starter from Wheat berries

Samartha Deva wrote:
> TG wrote:
> [...]y : -)
> >
> > So what would you advise me to do with it?

> Stop playing with starters and make bread!
>
> Kamut is great!
>
> S.

I wasn't asking you Samartha. I've got 24 hours in a day and 7 days in
a week. What difference is it to you if I spend a bit of down time
playing with making a starter. I baked a freezer full of bread
yesterday I think I can afford to have a few days without making bread
thank you very much. I think this is typical of your dominating
attitude to others. Mind your own business and keep your bullying to
your self. Who the hell do you think you are?

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

> I would soak it for about 24 hours then test a grain or two, see if
> they mash without using a hammer. Once they are soft enough, drain the
> water, mash, form into a dough ball and cover. I'd let it sit as a
> covered golf ball sized chunk in a cool place for two days. At the end
> of day 2, peel the skin off of the doughball and mix the interior
> remainder with more mash. I usually see activity in two or three
> refreshments.
>
> Keep your eye on the grain while it's soaking. If it is fresh grain, do
> not be surprised to see the germ end bud. If that happens, mash before
> the sprout emerges. Using a malted grain for starter purposes is
> tricky.
>
> For fun, I will try some here and see how I do with it.
>
> Will
>
> Keep your eye out for some rye though. That's the slam dunker in my
> book.

Thank you very much Will for your effort and information. I'll get to
it now and put my starter that I'm using for pizza tonight to the side
'til later.

Cheers

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Brian Mailman wrote:

> > TG wrote:
> > [...]y : -)
> >>

> You don't think he said "kaput?"
>
> B/

Hey you're witty.

You don't think it's a quadratic?

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dick Adams

"TG" > sez to Samartha:

> I've got 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week. What difference
> is it to you if I spend a bit of down time playing with making a starter.

Startermucking should be a private thing. Doing it is one thing, but
crowing about it from the housetops is quite another.

> Mind your own business and keep your bullying to your self. Who
> the hell do you think you are?

If you expect your exchanges with Samartha to be entertaining, you
will need to improve your style.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Dick Adams wrote:
> "TG" > sez to Samartha:
>
> > I've got 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week. What difference
> > is it to you if I spend a bit of down time playing with making a starter.

> Startermucking should be a private thing. Doing it is one thing, but
> crowing about it from the housetops is quite another.
>
> > Mind your own business and keep your bullying to your self. Who
> > the hell do you think you are?

> If you expect your exchanges with Samartha to be entertaining, you
> will need to improve your style.
>
> --
> Dicky

My, we do have a couple of royals dictating and demanding.

What makes you think I was trying to entertain. What makes you think
that I was 'crowing'.

You two have some real self importance issues. Contrary to what you
might think this news group isn't all about you two.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva

TG wrote:
> Samartha Deva wrote:
>> TG wrote:
>> [...]y : -)
>>> So what would you advise me to do with it?

>> Stop playing with starters and make bread!
>>
>> Kamut is great!
>>
>> S.

> I wasn't asking you Samartha.

Hey! I am commenting to a post of yours on a public forum asking for
advise. If you want to do private conservations - well, keep it private.

> I've got 24 hours in a day and 7 days in
> a week.

That's a truly amazing statement, indeed. You really have that much time
- you don't need to sleep?

> What difference is it to you if I spend a bit of down time
> playing with making a starter.

None whatsoever.

> I baked a freezer full of bread
> yesterday I think I can afford to have a few days without making bread
> thank you very much.

You're welcome. I take from that that you did not use kamut to make your
bread. I consider this a big mistake. Again, my own opinion.

> I think this is typical of your dominating
> attitude to others.

If people choose to put me in that corner and feel dominated, what can I
do? I find it rather interesting. I have no interest dominating others
howsoever.

> Mind your own business and keep your bullying to
> your self.

I am not trying to bull you. My point is to use kamut to grow a starter
is a wastage - that's my opinion. I would not use kamut to grow starter,
I would make bread from it. If you use it for growing a starter from
scratch, it looses most of it's properties. Besides, kamut is unusually
expensive.

> Who the hell do you think you are?

Who the hell? Hmh - wherever you keep putting me. Keep going.

If you want to be a crackpot - go for it, by all means!

Samartha

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Samartha Deva wrote:
> TG wrote:
> > Samartha Deva wrote:
> >> TG wrote:
> >> [...]y : -)
> >> Stop playing with starters and make bread!
> >>
> >> Kamut is great!
> >>
> >> S.

> > I wasn't asking you Samartha.

> Hey! I am commenting to a post of yours on a public forum asking for
> advise. If you want to do private conservations - well, keep it private.
>
> > I've got 24 hours in a day and 7 days in
> > a week.

> That's a truly amazing statement, indeed. You really have that much time
> - you don't need to sleep?
>
> > What difference is it to you if I spend a bit of down time
> > playing with making a starter.

> None whatsoever.
>
> > I baked a freezer full of bread
> > yesterday I think I can afford to have a few days without making bread
> > thank you very much.

> You're welcome. I take from that that you did not use kamut to make your
> bread. I consider this a big mistake. Again, my own opinion.
>
> > I think this is typical of your dominating
> > attitude to others.

> If people choose to put me in that corner and feel dominated, what can I
> do? I find it rather interesting. I have no interest dominating others
> howsoever.
>
> > Mind your own business and keep your bullying to
> > your self.

> I am not trying to bull you. My point is to use kamut to grow a starter
> is a wastage - that's my opinion. I would not use kamut to grow starter,
> I would make bread from it. If you use it for growing a starter from
> scratch, it looses most of it's properties. Besides, kamut is unusually
> expensive.
>
> > Who the hell do you think you are?

> Who the hell? Hmh - wherever you keep putting me. Keep going.
>
> If you want to be a crackpot - go for it, by all means!
>
> Samartha

Wow! Calm down dear. You know you went too far chipping in, the only
one coming across as a crackpot today, chuck, is you. It's up to me
what I do with my money. Will made a point and I thought that I would
have a go and see what happened. No harm in that. It's not the kamut
that will be making a starter, I know that, it's what's on it that
makes the difference. I could have bought a bag of wheat grains for
half the price, I know that, I was there, but I didn't want to buy
ordinary wheat grains at 85p for 500g and then come home and grind them
to make the kind of stuff I can by much cheaper in Waitrose. I wonted
to get something that was a little different. Am I allowed to do that
without you chipping in to tell me where I'm going wrong? Will can
testify that I wrote to him off list too. Not that it's any of your
business. But as this is a public news group where others can learn
from the advice that he was giving he replied that way. Good on him.
Calm down, love. Not everything is about you.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

> Will, You inspired me. I went to a farmers market today and made it my
> mission to get some wheat and rye berries. Unfortunately they'd run our
> of rye but I did manage to get my hands on some kamut. The woman
> running the stall made me laugh. She was German and her stress was a
> little off. I told her that I'd been recommended to get rye and wheat
> berries. She said, "So you got Kamut" lol. I laughed and she got
> embarrassed, she had understand my train of thought but just expressed
> it badly : -)
>
> So what would you advise me to do with it?
>
> Thanks Will
>
> TG

Dear Samartha,
As you can see Samartha that was to Will. Hence the use of the name
Will. If you wanted to give advice with regard to my question about
making a starter from the grain, fair enough but I didn't ask for you
to rudely tell me
> Stop playing with starters and make bread.

That's just plane rude.

You make yourself so hard to like. What are you afraid of?

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Brian Mailman

TG wrote:

> I wasn't asking you Samartha.

Public post is public discussion.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dusty Bleher

Hey! I thought I recognized the warmth, charm, style, and collegial
rhetoric.

Welcome back, "Jimbob"!

Dusty
& I'm outta this thread!

"TG" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will

Dusty Bleher wrote:

> Hey! I thought I recognized the warmth, charm, style, and collegial
> rhetoric.

Yes. But perhaps this will be a kinder, gentler, incarnation <g>.

Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva

TG wrote:
[..]
>> Stop playing with starters and make bread.

> That's just plane rude.

Huh! Get yourself a thicker skin for chrissake! You're such a sissy -
IMO, of cause.

What you're going to do if you get really flamed - hide in bed and cry?

Assuming, you meant plain.

S.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Samartha Deva wrote:
> TG wrote:
> [..]
> >> Stop playing with starters and make bread.

> > That's just plane rude.

> Huh! Get yourself a thicker skin for chrissake! You're such a sissy -
> IMO, of cause.
>
> What you're going to do if you get really flamed - hide in bed and cry?
>
> Assuming, you meant plain.
>
> S.

What? Oh, Yeah there could only be one person on this planet who
doesn't want to be put down by Samartha. Yeah that's right I must
be someone else.

Plane / plain yeah that's right you don't make typo's do you
Samartha. I'm such a sissy? What does that make you? A male
chauvinist bigot? Hang on! Sissy? A timid man or boy considered
childish or unassertive, effeminate: having unsuitable feminine
qualities.

That makes you wrong and a bigot. I don't think I exhibit the
behaviour of either of those. Do I seem timid to you?

You really should crawl back under that fascist rock and think what it
means to be in the 21st century.

I won't be told what to do by the likes of you or anyone. I hardly
think that makes me week. Stop being a nasty arrogant toad Samratha.
It's easy to be a pig from behind your computer screen. I hardly
think that makes you a man to be proud of him self.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Samartha Deva wrote:
> TG wrote:
> [..]
> >> Stop playing with starters and make bread.

> > That's just plane rude.

> Huh! Get yourself a thicker skin for chrissake! You're such a sissy -
> IMO, of cause.

> What you're going to do if you get really flamed - hide in bed and cry?

> Assuming, you meant plain.

> S.

I should have added, LOL,

[...]

Good grief, lol

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva

TG wrote:

> I should have added, LOL,

Sure - you're full of it - Love, or what you think it is, it's clearly
visible.

Keep going :-)

S.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Samartha Deva wrote:
> TG wrote:
>
> > I should have added, LOL,

> Sure - you're full of it - Love, or what you think it is, it's clearly
> visible.
>
> Keep going :-)
>
> S.

You can think whatever you like Samartha but I'm not going to carry any
anger around because of what you've said. I have more respect for
myself than that. But I don't want to be passive aggressive or just
plain roll-over-passive because I do think you get off on that at some
level. Otherwise why say what you say to people when it's so
unprovoked? What do you expect them to do? I'll deal with my mind,
don't you worry. I won't lose any sleep over it. Mock all you like. The
reality of it is you're just virtual text on a virtual page. For me to
get really bothered would be quite stupid. lol. But how you think I
feel is really quite irrelevant, you seem to think that I want you to
see me as a loving person. I don't give a stuff what you think about me
: -) only that you deal with the reality of what you read at that
moment, not what you thought I wrote last week.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Will wrote:
> At the end
> of day 2, peel the skin off of the doughball and mix the interior
> remainder with more mash. I usually see activity in two or three
> refreshments.
>
> Keep your eye on the grain while it's soaking. If it is fresh grain, do
> not be surprised to see the germ end bud. If that happens, mash before
> the sprout emerges. Using a malted grain for starter purposes is
> tricky.
>
> For fun, I will try some here and see how I do with it.
>
> Will
>
> Keep your eye out for some rye though. That's the slam dunker in my
> book.

Hi Will,

when I got back today the grains were bubbling a little, it might have
been just metabolic gasses from the grain I don't know. Anyway, that
led me to wonder if I could have mashed them too soon. I read in
Reinhart about adding diastatic malt to help with the process. I tried
to get some ages ago but they'd sold out and it's miles across the
other side of town. Is this a way to make my own malt for future use?
In all my years of baking I've never used it so I don't even know if
it's worth the effort. What do you think?

Cheers Will,

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will

TG wrote:

> I read in
> Reinhart about adding diastatic malt to help with the process. I tried
> to get some ages ago but they'd sold out and it's miles across the
> other side of town. Is this a way to make my own malt for future use?

I made some starter with sprouted white wheat a while back. The starter
was very difficult to use for quite a while. I had trouble with the
dough holding shape, having very tender surfaces that ripped easily. A
little malt enzyme goes a long, long, long (did I say long?) way. It is
why I suggested mashing when the grain puffs and buds but before
sprouts appear.

It is very easy to make malt. Just sprout some grain: shoots to about 1
mm., and then dry it and mill it. A level teaspoon in a 1600 gram dough
is quite sufficient if you want to goose fermentation. Almost all of
your standard white (bolted) bread flours are malted, so you would only
add malt to home milled stuff. I don't make a special project of
malting grain. I do sprout a tablespoon or so of my grain purchases as
a basic freshness and pesticide test. I simply dry and use the results
when convenient.

It's been a while since I read Reinhart. But I thought his malt use was
confined to bagels where he's also using what I call reinforced
flour... that high protein stuff with the added gluten.

Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Brian Mailman

TG wrote:

> Samartha Deva wrote:
>> TG wrote:
>> [..]
>> >
>> > That's just plane rude.

>> Huh! Get yourself a thicker skin for chrissake! You're such a sissy -
>> IMO, of cause.
>>
>> What you're going to do if you get really flamed - hide in bed and cry?
>>
>> Assuming, you meant plain.
>>
>> S.

> What? Oh, Yeah there could only be one person on this planet who
> doesn't want to be put down by Samartha. Yeah that's right I must
> be someone else.

If you don't like what he doesn't have to say to you, then don't read
him. Simple as that. If you can't just skip his messages, then have
your news reader do it for you.... use your Help key (usually F1) and
look up either "filter" "killfile" or "rule."

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Will wrote:
> TG wrote:
>
> > I read in
> > Reinhart about adding diastatic malt to help with the process. I tried
> > to get some ages ago but they'd sold out and it's miles across the
> > other side of town. Is this a way to make my own malt for future use?

> I made some starter with sprouted white wheat a while back. The starter
> was very difficult to use for quite a while. I had trouble with the
> dough holding shape, having very tender surfaces that ripped easily. A
> little malt enzyme goes a long, long, long (did I say long?) way. It is
> why I suggested mashing when the grain puffs and buds but before
> sprouts appear.
>
> It is very easy to make malt. Just sprout some grain: shoots to about 1
> mm., and then dry it and mill it. A level teaspoon in a 1600 gram dough
> is quite sufficient if you want to goose fermentation. Almost all of
> your standard white (bolted) bread flours are malted, so you would only
> add malt to home milled stuff. I don't make a special project of
> malting grain. I do sprout a tablespoon or so of my grain purchases as
> a basic freshness and pesticide test. I simply dry and use the results
> when convenient.
>
> It's been a while since I read Reinhart. But I thought his malt use was
> confined to bagels where he's also using what I call reinforced
> flour... that high protein stuff with the added gluten.
>
> Will

lol, Cheers Will,

Thanks for the advice. I think here in the UK there's quite a different
mind set for flour. Most of it that I see in my supermarket is pure,
unadulterated flour. Then you get the nout teken out varieties. I
vaguely remember seeing malt included on the list of ingredients but
I've looked since and have put that down to cheese before bed. : -) You
can get malted granary but I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain active
malt. We don't have bleached flour either, though you often see
'unbleached' on descriptions. This is what I usually bake with.

http://tinyurl.com/bpun4

There's a couple of recipes in TBBA that suggest d/malt. I was having
problems getting my baguettes to colour but I've since salved that
problem by using a bit of oil for the bowl. The recipe for the starter
was in Curst and Crumb. I've got a good starter that I like so it was
more of an intellectual need more than a baking need but I've got some
time on my hands a wont for trying new things : -)

Take care,

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

> If you don't like what he doesn't have to say to you, then don't read
> him. Simple as that. If you can't just skip his messages, then have
> your news reader do it for you.... use your Help key (usually F1) and
> look up either "filter" "killfile" or "rule."
>
> B/

: -)
Thanks Brian. I'm on a Mac and have never got round to looking into how
to get the news things. I think I might be able to do it if I use
Entourage but I like my Mail. I'll look into it some more now you've
watered the seed that was planted by another today. But it would be a
shame to filter him out completely he does have good points. : -)

Thanks again.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Brian Mailman

TG wrote:

> But it would be a shame to filter him out completely he does have
> good points. : -)

Then you have to take the bitter with the better.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Brian Mailman wrote:
> TG wrote:
>
> > But it would be a shame to filter him out completely he does have
> > good points. : -)

> Then you have to take the bitter with the better.
>
> B/

I suppose you're right. After all who wants bland coffee : -)

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

> I would soak it for about 24 hours then test a grain or two, see if
> they mash without using a hammer. Once they are soft enough, drain the
> water, mash, form into a dough ball and cover. I'd let it sit as a
> covered golf ball sized chunk in a cool place for two days. At the end
> of day 2, peel the skin off of the doughball and mix the interior
> remainder with more mash. I usually see activity in two or three
> refreshments.
>
> Keep your eye on the grain while it's soaking. If it is fresh grain, do
> not be surprised to see the germ end bud. If that happens, mash before
> the sprout emerges. Using a malted grain for starter purposes is
> tricky.
>
> For fun, I will try some here and see how I do with it.
>
> Will
>
> Keep your eye out for some rye though. That's the slam dunker in my
> book.

Hi Will,

This isn't a fast track. : -) When you say two or three refreshments do
you mean every two days? I'm not seeing any activity but it is starting
to smell more like vinegar than smoked Dutch cheese. : -) Iuuw. I'm
resisting the urge to raise the temp a bit. I didn't really think about
it before but 2 refreshments at two day intervals is four days, OK not
exactly quadratics : -) but that is longer than I'm used to, adding on
top of that the soak day and a third refreshment. I'm glad I'm more
patient than I used to be. : -)

Anyway I'm sure it's all going to be great and I'll get a good flora.
Just for the sake of interest I took out a little and added it to equal
amounts of white rye with a little water, and the same with white
wheat. Just to see what happens.

I'll let you know how I go on after Christmas. Oh, that brings me to
the point. I'm going away for a four days I'm going to have to put it
in the fridge I'm sure it won't come to any harm : -)

Have a good one everyone.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

> Hi Will,
>
> This isn't a fast track. : -)...
>
> TG

Hi Will,

Well by 12.00 last night it was going great guns. The two that I
sectioned off and fed with wheat and rye were starting to bubble too.
The rye was more advanced.

I've fed it this morning with ordinary wheat because I don't have a
grinder other than the coffee grinder which doesn't do a great job of
making flour. : -) I'll use the rest of the kamut for soaking or for
making a coarse grind for texture of something. Thank you very much for
the help. I'll let you know how it bakes.

By the way, the country of origin for this 'environmentally friendly'
organic kamut is USA. : -) No wonder it's expensive. I told you we
don't produce berries for sale here in the UK. lol.

Have a good one.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will

TG wrote:

> By the way, the country of origin for this 'environmentally friendly'
> organic kamut is USA. : -) No wonder it's expensive. I told you we
> don't produce berries for sale here in the UK. lol.

Sounds like everything is on track. Kamut is big $$$ here too. Montana
Wheat, purveyers of Montana Gold and Bronze Chief wheats, sells a
wonderful specimen. Big, long berries. But it's $55 a bag (bag is 50
lbs). I crack it and crock pot it for cereal.

Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Will wrote:

> Sounds like everything is on track. Kamut is big $$$ here too. Montana
> Wheat, purveyers of Montana Gold and Bronze Chief wheats, sells a
> wonderful specimen. Big, long berries. But it's $55 a bag (bag is 50
> lbs). I crack it and crock pot it for cereal.
>
> Will

Hi Will,

I baked with the kamut starter yesterday. Suddenly £1.55 sounds very
cheap. It's a very nice starter, very full flavoured. I didn't need to
through any of it away either. I baked two batches, one ordinary white
bread flour and one with mixed brown and wholemeal.

Thanks for the introduction to a different way to make a starter.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Brian Mailman

TG wrote:

> I baked with the kamut starter yesterday. Suddenly £1.55 sounds very
> cheap. It's a very nice starter, very full flavoured.

Why suddenly are all these people eating their starters?

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG

Brian Mailman wrote:
> TG wrote:
>
> > I baked with the kamut starter yesterday. Suddenly £1.55 sounds very
> > cheap. It's a very nice starter, very full flavoured.

> Why suddenly are all these people eating their starters?
>
> B/

What are you talking about Brian? I baked with my mother-in-law last
week too. What's your point?

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will

TG wrote:

> I baked with the kamut starter yesterday. Suddenly £1.55 sounds very
> cheap. It's a very nice starter, very full flavoured.

Glad the experiment turned out. It's a nice option to have when you
come across exotic grain. I find new starters are all a bit different.
Over time, with refrigeration, they tend to become more alike. I guess
cold storage selects consistently. What I am fooling around with now,
is something along the lines of Samartha's Detmold notes. 85-90 F.
degree refreshment cycles. Seems to add some zip back to the older
starters.

Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
tg

Thanks Will,

I was given lots of starters by someone a while ago and ever since
I've been trying to decide which is the best one to keep. There are a
few which I have already discarded and a few which I've dried just in
case. In case what I don't know lol. I can't see myself continuously
propagating a starter but never say never. This new one is a good
contender if I were to : -)

Thanks

TG

On 31 Dec 2005, at 17:44, Will wrote:

> TG wrote:
>
>> I baked with the kamut starter yesterday. Suddenly £1.55 sounds very
>> cheap. It's a very nice starter, very full flavoured.

> Glad the experiment turned out. It's a nice option to have when you
> come across exotic grain. I find new starters are all a bit different.
> Over time, with refrigeration, they tend to become more alike. I guess
> cold storage selects consistently. What I am fooling around with now,
> is something along the lines of Samartha's Detmold notes. 85-90 F.
> degree refreshment cycles. Seems to add some zip back to the older
> starters.
>
> Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInSwampscott

Default Starter experience

Charles Perry wrote:

> Where is that brilliant lady photographer who managed to take a picture
> of a Bread Faerie? There seems to be another cadre of unbelievers.

A woman will always respond to a compliment! : -)
I have moved, and should now change my moniker to HeatherInIpswich.
Luckily, the Faeries have moved with me, and are gracing my new
apartment with their presence.

http://tinyurl.com/c8bgs

I haven't been on the newsgroups as much, but I am still baking
sourdough, and variations on that theme at least once a week.

Happy New Year to all,

Heather
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Charles Perry

HeatherInSwampscott wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/c8bgs

Thank you. That should settle things for a while untill there is a new
crop of unbelievers.

Happy New Year to you also.

You have mail.

Regards,

Charles
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva

HeatherInSwampscott wrote:
> Charles Perry wrote:
>
>> Where is that brilliant lady photographer who managed to take a
>> picture of a Bread Faerie? There seems to be another cadre of
>> unbelievers.

> A woman will always respond to a compliment! : -)
> I have moved, and should now change my moniker to HeatherInIpswich.
> Luckily, the Faeries have moved with me, and are gracing my new
> apartment with their presence.

Your apartment - with this?

> http://tinyurl.com/c8bgs

Something must have gotten mixed up with the tinyurl, or is this
actually on your web site?

Here is the story:

In March 2003, I experimented with Detmold 3-Stage and got this amazing
explosion on a loaf without rising time, just from the starter alone.

The

http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/

Somebody on this group - (maybe Charles Perry with Ticker's help?)
developed some special equipment to make bread fairies visible on
pictures, and found them there on this bread picture from my kitchen.

They are still around here and I don't want to get them upset.

I am not sure how they take it if they get publicly put on the wrong
place and time. Although they are said to be omnipresent which would
make them immune to this but on the other side they are very elusive and
sensitive.

If I would be on your place... I don't know. Maybe you upset them and
now you are out of luck for the rest of your live if you can't make up
with them again.

Well, it's not my problem. You moved into a new space. I have them still
here.

Samartha

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInSwampscott

Samartha Deva wrote:
> HeatherInSwampscott wrote:
>
> Your apartment - with this?
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/c8bgs

Samartha; my apologies.

In my original post with this photo, many years ago to this group, I
credited your wonderful bread photo. If you wish me to remove the photo,
please let me know.

Sincerely,

Heather

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva

HeatherInSwampscott wrote:
> Samartha Deva wrote:
>> HeatherInSwampscott wrote:
>>
>> Your apartment - with this?
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/c8bgs

> Samartha; my apologies.
>
> In my original post with this photo, many years ago to this group, I
> credited your wonderful bread photo. If you wish me to remove the photo,
> please let me know.

By all means, do whatever you enjoy most with this:-)

I was just a bit puzzled - and thought hmmmh..

(have you ever thought hmmmh..?)

This is your bread fairy karma.

I tried finding the original post, who actually had this magic bread
fairy unhide machine, but I could not. Was it you?

Somebody else made a picture with a dead bread fairy at that time. I
could not find it either.

Enjoy!

Samartha
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
HeatherInSwampscott

Samartha Deva wrote:

> I tried finding the original post, who actually had this magic bread
> fairy unhide machine, but I could not. Was it you?

I actually removed the original post, as it had the url with my last
name in it. I became slightly paranoid after some unwanted email
contact, so I tried to eliminate all public posts with my first and last
name.

The old ULR was obsolete anyway, as I had changed domains.

Thank you, Samartha, there is no way I could pass my rye bread off as
anything other than a (tasty) brick. I haven't had the dedication
required to get past an easy pan bread.

Best,

Heather
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dusty Bleher

Hello Heather & all;

"HeatherInSwampscott" > wrote in message
> Thank you, Samartha, there is no way I could pass my rye bread off
> as anything other than a (tasty) brick. I haven't had the
> dedication required to get past an easy pan bread.

Okay. I'm gonna take this on as a challenge...(:-o)!

Baking good SD is so-o-o easy! Well, it is once you learn
how...(:-{})!!!

I'll bet that I can walk/talk you through to success in one easy
lesson. I'm willing to go through a simple recipe step-by-ugly-step
with you. If you'd rather not do it in so public a forum, plz feel
free to drop me a note off-list. With the appropriate fixes...my
addy's good...

L8r all,
Dusty
San Jose

> Best,
>
> Heather

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva

HeatherInSwampscott wrote:
> Samartha Deva wrote:
>
>> I tried finding the original post, who actually had this magic bread
>> fairy unhide machine, but I could not. Was it you?
>>

> I actually removed the original post, as it had the url with my last
> name in it. I became slightly paranoid after some unwanted email
> contact, so I tried to eliminate all public posts with my first and last
> name.

I see. Didn't know one can do that with newsposts?

> The old ULR was obsolete anyway, as I had changed domains.
>
> Thank you, Samartha, there is no way I could pass my rye bread off as
> anything other than a (tasty) brick. I haven't had the dedication
> required to get past an easy pan bread.

I think many fail on the approach to one of the best breads by taking
too much of bite at one time. If one hears "rye", maybe it's understood
as 100 % rye. That sure is behaving very different from a commonly done
100 % white flour maybe leading to bricks.

My thinking is that a 100 % rye bread is something special and good as
an addition to the common staple bread. Common bread for daily use is
(from where I am coming from) so-called grey bread. That's a mixed grain
rye bread with anywhere from 20 to 50 % rye content.

With rye, take the gradual approach:

First convert your starter to rye and once you have that going, use just
your regular recipe with the rye starter and see what that gets you. You
have with that probably a 15 - 20 % rye content. That's a very nice bread.

From there, increase the rye % gradually and adjust to the changes.

And don't forget to put some spices in - fennel, caraway, coriander..

Anyway...

Samartha
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
hutchndi

Default Starter experience - Samartha & Dusty

That looks yummy. I hope to try rye again soon. I am curious, how did your
starter get *******ized, and is it better in some way?

hutchndi

"HeatherInIpswich" > wrote >