HUTCHNDI

Default Scotch Oats

Hello people.

I found a recipe for scotch oatmeal bread in a book by Bernard Clayton. Its
a bit different than the oatmeal bread recipe I have been using, the one at
Carl's Friends. I really would like to try this. It uses a "potato starter"
which really looks like just a sourdough starter that was made from a
potato, flour and water mixture. Anyways, what I was wondering is if regular
oatmeal flakes can be used in place of scotch oats, or is this something
special? It is described as cracked whole grain oats, and the soaker is
mixed with starter the night before. Should I look for Scotch Oats?

Thanks, Hutchndi

Mike Avery

HUTCHNDI wrote:

> Should I look for Scotch Oats?

My mother in law is Scottish. So, we splurged and bought some Scotch
oats to (try to) make her happy.

Neither she nor we could tell any difference between them, the Kroger
house brand oats, the health food store's organic oats, or Quaker Oats.

Mike

Charles Perry

HUTCHNDI wrote:

> ...what I was wondering is if regular
> oatmeal flakes can be used in place of scotch oats, or is this something
> special? It is described as cracked whole grain oats,

Yes, in a pinch you can use regular oatmeal. However, what you
want to look for is "steel cut" oatmeal. That is cracked oat
groats sieved for somewhat consistant size. Steel cut oats is
available in food co-ops and maye some health food stores.
Sometimes available in grocery stores is John McCanns's (brand)
steel cut Irish Oatmeal. It comes in a tin can. Don't bother
with the instant variation.

My grandfather was picky about his food. He became convinced
that the finest oatmeal in the world came from Scotland. For
years, he sent away to Scotland for oatmeal and was pleased
despite the expense of shipping. That is, until one day he
happened to turn the package over and saw the "packed in Cedar
Rapids, Iowa- USA" statement. Well, the Quaker Oat Co. in Cedar
Rapids was less than 30 miles up the road from his farm. He
could have very well been eating his own oats that had taken a
long and expensive trip. I don't think that he ever again
extolled the virtues of Scottish oatmeal, but he never heard the
last of his oatmeal adventure.

Regards,

Charles

Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Gavin

Scotch Oat Meal
I bought a can once. It made great cooked oatmeal; it was much better
than rolled oats. After the can was empty, I refilled it with
steel-cut oats from the market. It made the same cooked oatmeal mush.