Old 17-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Richard

Default Is it Dead?

Howdy. First time poster here. I watched Alone in the Wilderness on PBS a
few too many times and decided to try some sourdough. I got some of Carl's
awhile back and followed the directions very well. (I think) I got it going
good and thought it time to discard half due to the quantity. I dried some
for future use hoping to keep the original from straying into some Seattle
variety.

I added more flour and water to the starter that I had going. Nothing
happened after that. It's been 3 days of stiring on occassion. Temps in the
mid 70's. Smells sour and tastes really, really sour. No rise or any bubbles
at all.

I then started some of the dried that I had saved and it has done nothing at
all either.

Is it dead? Can it be saved? I would have tried from scratch but the point
of trying Carl's was the historical factor.

Thanks for any help
Richard

P.S. I crash computers and kill house plants too if that helps with the
diagnosis.

Old 17-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Kenneth

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:23:23 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard,

The fact that it smells and tastes sour causes this
question:

Had you been watching it over parts of those three days?
That is, might it have risen up, then fallen back without
your having noticed?

That might explain your situation...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 17-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Richard

That may have happened in the night but as you can probably imagine, with
the excitement of doing this I pretty much kept an eagle eye on it. It just
seems to have never taken of after replenishing.

Richard

Old 17-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Dusty

Richard wrote:
That may have happened in the night but as you can probably imagine,
with the excitement of doing this I pretty much kept an eagle eye on
it. It just seems to have never taken of after replenishing.

Which poses the question: how or what did you replenish it with?

Regards,
Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

Old 17-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Richard

After removing for drying I had approx. a 1/2 cup left. I added a 1/2 cup
water and 1/2 cup flour. Stirred in and covered.

Old 17-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Kenneth

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:56:42 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

"Dusty" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
That may have happened in the night but as you can probably imagine,
with the excitement of doing this I pretty much kept an eagle eye on
it. It just seems to have never taken of after replenishing.

Which poses the question: how or what did you replenish it with?

Regards,
Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

After removing for drying I had approx. a 1/2 cup left. I added a 1/2 cup
water and 1/2 cup flour. Stirred in and covered.

[Edited to correct top-posting]

Hi Richard,

I am confused...

Is it the dried, or the moist starter that you are trying to
grow?

Thanks,

--
Kenneth

Old 18-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Richard

Right now I'm trying to get both going.

I had Carl's going good, I think. Took half out and dried it. Added the
water and flour to what was going. Nothing happened.

I then tried starting the dried stuff I made. No activity that I can tell.

Now neither is doing anything.

Old 18-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Kenneth

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:11:12 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Dusty" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
[...]

(I would appreciate it if you would stop the top-posting. It
makes it nearly impossible to follow the thread.)

Now, about the starter:

You are providing so little information as to make a
meaningful response difficult.

For example, when you say "nothing happened" it would help
to know the temperature, the time you waited etc.

Also, the source of the water might be important. If, for
example, it was chlorinated, it might have killed off (or
weakened, and thus slowed) the culture.

So, tell us more, and folks will try to assist.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 18-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Richard

"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:11:12 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Dusty" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
[...]

Sorry Kenneth. I'll try to not let that happen again. Nothing like scrolling
thru a dozen posts to get to the last. So be it. New here so can always
learn something.

Temp of what? Water, air or my fever?

Water was the baby bottle kinda method. Did not feel warm. My air temps have
been between 70-75 degrees heated with a wood stove.
I've waited 3 days. I used Crystal Springs bottled water and supposedly
organic unbleached flour from a health nut friend.