peter r

Default rye starter-help

i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
suggestions?

thanks,

peter

Dick Adams

"peter r" > wrote in message=20

> i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 =

hours,=20
> it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again =

last=20
> night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the=20
> container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it =

again=20
> this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. =

=20
> any suggestions?

Here's two:

1. See if you can find your shift key, and if you can figure out which
characters should be capitalized and how to do that.

2. Study a known starter* to see how it works. Follow the supplied
instructions. Then you will get some idea about how starters should =
act.

* for instance: http://tinyurl.com/6vm9g or else the free one which is
sometimes mentioned.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Dick Adams

"peter r" > wrote in message=20

> i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 =

hours,=20
> it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again =

last=20
> night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the=20
> container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it =

again=20
> this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. =

=20
> any suggestions?

Here's two:

1. See if you can find your shift key, and if you can figure out which
characters should be capitalized and how to do that.

2. Study a known starter* to see how it works. Follow the supplied
instructions. Then you will get some idea about how starters should =
act.

* for instance: http://tinyurl.com/6vm9g or else the free one which is
sometimes mentioned.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Kenneth

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:

>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>suggestions?
>
>thanks,
>
>peter

Hi Peter,

Keep feeding it...

Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
in the starter.

I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:

>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>suggestions?
>
>thanks,
>
>peter

Hi Peter,

Keep feeding it...

Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
in the starter.

I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

amateur

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:46:33 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:
>
>>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>>suggestions?
>>thanks,
>>peter

>Hi Peter,
>
>Keep feeding it...
>
>Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
>get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
>but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
>in the starter.
>
>I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
>Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
>water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
>likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.
>
>All the best,

Kenneth,
i (almost) always let a new starter "go to hootch",
and stay that way , in the fridge, for a few days. The acidity tends
to kill the non-sourdough yeasts/bacteria. Then I take a spoonful of
that and build up a new, working, usable starter.
FWIW

PS ... first "i " above intentional == a^%^%-hole
bait.

amateur

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:46:33 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:
>
>>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>>suggestions?
>>thanks,
>>peter

>Hi Peter,
>
>Keep feeding it...
>
>Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
>get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
>but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
>in the starter.
>
>I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
>Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
>water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
>likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.
>
>All the best,

Kenneth,
i (almost) always let a new starter "go to hootch",
and stay that way , in the fridge, for a few days. The acidity tends
to kill the non-sourdough yeasts/bacteria. Then I take a spoonful of
that and build up a new, working, usable starter.
FWIW

PS ... first "i " above intentional == a^%^%-hole
bait.

Kenneth

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:44:15 -0200, amateur <amateur@home>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:46:33 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:
>>
>>>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>>>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>>>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>>>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>>>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>>>suggestions?
>>>thanks,
>>>peter

>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>Keep feeding it...
>>
>>Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
>>get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
>>but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
>>in the starter.
>>
>>I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
>>Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
>>water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
>>likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.
>>
>>All the best,

> Kenneth,
> i (almost) always let a new starter "go to hootch",
>and stay that way , in the fridge, for a few days. The acidity tends
>to kill the non-sourdough yeasts/bacteria. Then I take a spoonful of
>that and build up a new, working, usable starter.
> FWIW

Howdy,

Well, that approach is certainly not what I would suggest.

It seems to me that by letting the starter go so far, you
are always trying to "bring it back to life."

Certainly once a starter is well established, there is no
great harm in letting it go without a feeding for a while,
but even then, it takes a few cycles to get it back to
health. I don't see any benefit to forcing it to come back
to health more than necessary.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:46:33 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:
>>
>>>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>>>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>>>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>>>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>>>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>>>suggestions?
>>>thanks,
>>>peter

>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>Keep feeding it...
>>
>>Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
>>get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
>>but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
>>in the starter.
>>
>>I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
>>Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
>>water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
>>likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.
>>
>>All the best,

> Kenneth,
> i (almost) always let a new starter "go to hootch",
>and stay that way , in the fridge, for a few days. The acidity tends
>to kill the non-sourdough yeasts/bacteria. Then I take a spoonful of
>that and build up a new, working, usable starter.
> FWIW

Howdy,

Well, that approach is certainly not what I would suggest.

It seems to me that by letting the starter go so far, you
are always trying to "bring it back to life."

Certainly once a starter is well established, there is no
great harm in letting it go without a feeding for a while,
but even then, it takes a few cycles to get it back to
health. I don't see any benefit to forcing it to come back
to health more than necessary.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:46:33 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:30:43 GMT, "peter r"
> wrote:
>>
>>>i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
>>>it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
>>>night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
>>>container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
>>>this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet. any
>>>suggestions?
>>>thanks,
>>>peter

>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>Keep feeding it...
>>
>>Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
>>get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
>>but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
>>in the starter.
>>
>>I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
>>Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
>>water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
>>likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.
>>
>>All the best,

> Kenneth,
> i (almost) always let a new starter "go to hootch",
>and stay that way , in the fridge, for a few days. The acidity tends
>to kill the non-sourdough yeasts/bacteria. Then I take a spoonful of
>that and build up a new, working, usable starter.
> FWIW

Howdy,

Well, that approach is certainly not what I would suggest.

It seems to me that by letting the starter go so far, you
are always trying to "bring it back to life."

Certainly once a starter is well established, there is no
great harm in letting it go without a feeding for a while,
but even then, it takes a few cycles to get it back to
health. I don't see any benefit to forcing it to come back
to health more than necessary.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

amateur

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:14:35 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:44:15 -0200, amateur <amateur@home>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:46:33 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>>>Hi Peter,
>>>
>>>Keep feeding it...
>>>
>>>Often, when we try to make a new starter from scratch, we
>>>get critters growing in it that appear to be very active,
>>>but are not the organisms that will ultimately come to live
>>>in the starter.
>>>
>>>I would suggest that you discard most of what you have.
>>>Then, take the remainder, and feed it with rye flour and
>>>water every twelve hours or so. After a few days you are
>>>likely to have a starter from which you can bake bread.
>>>
>>>All the best,

>> Kenneth,
>> i (almost) always let a new starter "go to hootch",
>>and stay that way , in the fridge, for a few days. The acidity tends
>>to kill the non-sourdough yeasts/bacteria. Then I take a spoonful of
>>that and build up a new, working, usable starter.
>> FWIW
>>

>Howdy,
>
>Well, that approach is certainly not what I would suggest.
>
>It seems to me that by letting the starter go so far, you
>are always trying to "bring it back to life."

I do that, just once, when I have a new starter. When it's in
the bubble-nicely_smell-not-too-nicely stage. After I build it up
again, I treat it like any old starter.
Have you ever wondered why it takes a new starter some time to
settle down and make good bread ? I believe making it go acid gives me
a shortcut.
[]'s

>Certainly once a starter is well established, there is no
>great harm in letting it go without a feeding for a while,
>but even then, it takes a few cycles to get it back to
>health. I don't see any benefit to forcing it to come back
>to health more than necessary.
>
>All the best,

Smiley

Now that was a thoughtful response.

--
Kathy
aka smiley

In God We Trust
"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"peter r" > wrote in message

> i got a rye starter going for the first on monday night, and for 48 hours,
> it did what it was supposed to--bubbling away nicely. i fed it again last
> night, and sometime during the night, it got exuberant, overlowed the
> container, and what was left in the container collapsed. i fed it again
> this morning, but no more bubble formation, and it looks pretty quiet.
> any suggestions?

Here's two:

1. See if you can find your shift key, and if you can figure out which
characters should be capitalized and how to do that.

2. Study a known starter* to see how it works. Follow the supplied
instructions. Then you will get some idea about how starters should act.

* for instance: http://tinyurl.com/6vm9g or else the free one which is
sometimes mentioned.

--
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
Sourdough FAQ guide at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Smiley