Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default How do I know my starter is bad

Hi all.

How can I rescue my starter? I think has gone bad.

Best
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 19/10/2014 10:59 AM, wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> How can I rescue my starter? I think has gone bad.
>
> Best

In what way has it "gone bad"?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> I've had occasion to think that mine has died but after discarding most
>
> of it, after 2-3 feedings, it has revived. I keep mine at ~60% hydration
>
> and sometimes leave it for 2 months before feeding it. The first feeding
>
> then might be a bit sluggish but the second is usually vigorous.
>
> It wouldn't take too long to start a new one. While you are building up
>
> the strength, add the discarded part to a yeast-raised dough to add flavour.
>
> Graham

Hi,

Thanks for replying

I've already completed three feedings and still no activity.

Cheers from Venezuela.

A.-

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 19/10/2014 2:08 PM, Andrés Hidalgo Acuña wrote:

>> I've had occasion to think that mine has died but after discarding most
>>
>> of it, after 2-3 feedings, it has revived. I keep mine at ~60% hydration
>>
>> and sometimes leave it for 2 months before feeding it. The first feeding
>>
>> then might be a bit sluggish but the second is usually vigorous.
>>
>> It wouldn't take too long to start a new one. While you are building up
>>
>> the strength, add the discarded part to a yeast-raised dough to add flavour.
>>
>> Graham

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for replying
>
> I've already completed three feedings and still no activity.
>
> Cheers from Venezuela.
>
> A.-

Then I think you must start again. Use whole-wheat flour with a little
rye flour to start with and then feed with white. Alternatively, send
for this, although it might be awkward for you in Venezuela:

http://carlsfriends.net/

Graham (in Canada)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:34:20 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 19/10/2014 2:08 PM, Andr�s Hidalgo Acu�a wrote:
>

> >> I've had occasion to think that mine has died but after discarding most

> >> of it, after 2-3 feedings, it has revived. I keep mine at ~60% hydration

> >> and sometimes leave it for 2 months before feeding it. The first feeding

> >> then might be a bit sluggish but the second is usually vigorous.

> >> It wouldn't take too long to start a new one. While you are building up

> >> the strength, add the discarded part to a yeast-raised dough to add flavour.

> >> Graham

> > Hi,

> > Thanks for replying

> > I've already completed three feedings and still no activity.

> > Cheers from Venezuela.

> > A.-

> Then I think you must start again. Use whole-wheat flour with a little
>
> rye flour to start with and then feed with white. Alternatively, send
>
> for this, although it might be awkward for you in Venezuela:
>

> http://carlsfriends.net/
>

> Graham (in Canada)

You might want to try waiting a little longer between feedings, and/or discard almost all the old starter and feed with lots of new flour and warm water and leave it alone for a little longer (at 75-80 degreesF). Also, no activity is rare if you're leaving it out with a cloth covering it--you want air to pass through, but not bugs or dirt. Something will cause activity, either the inherent starter culture or the wild yeast in the environment (all sourdough starters take on the culture of their environment). So maybe leave it for a while. If still nothing, then I'd wonder about the water you're using--is it heavily chlorinated? That might be killing the natural yeast. Try filtered water if you're not sure.

I keep my starter in a straight-sided tall glass jar and after I feed it, I put a rubber band around the jar at the level of the culture to remind myself where it was. Then I can see later that it has or hasn't risen--if I'm lucky I catch it when it's above the level of the band, or else there are remnants of when the culture had been there earlier in the day. Sometimes we just don't see it at its high point!

Suerte!
Rachel (USA)

Carl's Starter + Mike's San Franciso Starter Recipe, First Attempt Yah Evets Sourdough 4 05-05-2009 07:47 PM
Yukon Jack Starter and "Phil's" Starter phil[_2_] Sourdough 1 20-01-2009 02:25 AM
San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter June Hughes Sourdough 7 29-03-2007 07:48 PM
KA starter hutchndi Sourdough 7 16-01-2007 06:15 PM
Friends of Carl Starter and Liquid Starter Rod & BJ Sourdough 5 26-10-2003 08:48 PM