Zman

Default Newbie

HI to to the group! I"m rather new at sourdough, been making loaves
about once a week for a couple of years.

Nonetheless, I have followed some links here and have seen some
fabulous loaves made. The ones that interest me the most are usually
dark, perhaps rye or pumpernickle with a dusting.

I always make plain old round loaves, sometimes batard shape. I
recently picked up at my library 'The Bread Baker's Apprentice' by
Peter Reinhart and was intrigued by the shapes more than anything.

Question is: After I slash my loaves, I usually glaze them with just
a beaten egg. What is the procedure for making those outstanding
looking loaves I've seen dusted nicely?

Should only the darker / denser breads be dusted?

Thanks a bunch....I'll keep reading / learning.

Eric
Dick Adams

"Zman" > wrote in message =

> After I slash my loaves, I usually glaze them with just
> a beaten egg.

Glazing is optional. Glazing with eggs is entirely optional. =20

> What is the procedure for making those outstanding
> looking loaves I've seen dusted nicely?

Just which outstanding looking loaves you have seen
dusted nicely are you referring to.

> Should only the darker / denser breads be dusted?

Dusting is entirely optional, unless it is about insects in
your crop fields.

What are you dusting with? What do you want your
loaves to look like?

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Dick Adams

"Zman" > wrote in message =

> After I slash my loaves, I usually glaze them with just
> a beaten egg.

Glazing is optional. Glazing with eggs is entirely optional. =20

> What is the procedure for making those outstanding
> looking loaves I've seen dusted nicely?

Just which outstanding looking loaves you have seen
dusted nicely are you referring to.

> Should only the darker / denser breads be dusted?

Dusting is entirely optional, unless it is about insects in
your crop fields.

What are you dusting with? What do you want your
loaves to look like?

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

newbie craftydragon1951 General Cooking 22 04-04-2006 07:00 AM
Newbie Q's Bulletsnbrains Winemaking 6 12-03-2006 11:28 PM
A NEWBIE HERE!!!.... arem_29 Recipes 1 30-09-2005 03:54 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM