Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Thank you Mike Avery

On 12/12/2012 4:01 AM, Dayashankar Joshi wrote:
> > Hi Mike,

> > Can one start a starter not with Rye but with various kinds of millet?
> > Originally from Western India I grew up on bajari (Pearl millet. Nobody makes baked bread out of it but it should ferment better than anything else. People who eat it normally grind it (get it ground) daily as it quickly gets bitter like Tapioca does.

On 13 December 2012 01:58, Mike Avery >
wrote(replied):

>Hi,

> Sorry, I haven't ever used millet to try to start a starter. If it works for you, please tell me all about it, and then what you did with it.

I have baked wheat bread with help of yeast, but as it only
occasionally came out OK, have continued to buy it from bakery, mostly
whole wheat and rye (with Dill Seeds in it, not what they call Dark
Rye).

Having lived in west for over 15 years I came upon Sourdough Bread at
my Tesco. Found it eat-able for most days like Pear Millet bread which
we ate 4 times a day when I was little.

Looks it is only Rye, wheat and barely that form a quick film around
dough and not any kind of millet, rice or yam flour dough.

So to start with will stick to wheat flour that we Indians use to make
our unleavened bread on tava / tawa. I have got clay one that I put
upside down ob my electric hob.