Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default New poster..

Howdy..

Long-time usenet poster, been baking sourdough about 18 months. Over that time I've gathered together nine cultures: six from Ed Wood, Carl Griffith's starter and two I captured locally to me: one near my home in the woods, one near the Atlantic beach.

I use a La Cloche and have been getting quite decent results: great crusts, nice crumb, great flavor but the big holes in the crumb elude me.

Any advice on getting bigger holes in the crumb gladly welcome!

Thanks...
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 08.07.2012 07:43, droopus wrote:
> Any advice on getting bigger holes in the crumb gladly welcome!

If your bread has a high percentage of wheat: Knead it longer and
"Stretch and Fold" it. The folding brings air into the dough. The
stretching will develop the gluten.
Spelt doesn't need that much kneading. With rye it is impossible to
obtain rally big "italian" holes.
Here in German speaking Europe (DACH) most sourdough breads are
traditionally made of rye as rye-dough needs be sour. Italy uses more
wheat and has wheat-types with more gluten.
If you are in America then you could buy Manitoba-wheat from Canada. It
has more gluten in it that you can develop.

Viele Grüße
Adrian
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

do you mean "whole" wheat flour or normal white

conk

"Adrian" > wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
> On 08.07.2012 07:43, droopus wrote:
>> Any advice on getting bigger holes in the crumb gladly welcome!

> If your bread has a high percentage of wheat: Knead it longer and "Stretch
> and Fold" it. The folding brings air into the dough. The stretching will
> develop the gluten.
> Spelt doesn't need that much kneading. With rye it is impossible to obtain
> rally big "italian" holes.
> Here in German speaking Europe (DACH) most sourdough breads are
> traditionally made of rye as rye-dough needs be sour. Italy uses more
> wheat and has wheat-types with more gluten.
> If you are in America then you could buy Manitoba-wheat from Canada. It
> has more gluten in it that you can develop.
>
> Viele Grüße
> Adrian

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13.07.2012 22:11, CC wrote:
> do you mean "whole" wheat flour or normal white

This depends on what you want to do.
Whether the flour is "whole" or not depends on how the miller mills, not
on the kind of wheat used for the flour.

New Poster MichaelDamianJeter Sushi 10 11-02-2010 07:41 AM
New poster here? Lynda B General Cooking 0 23-07-2009 09:17 PM
New poster [email protected] Wine 14 09-04-2007 06:28 PM
Question by new poster limey Preserving 6 16-02-2005 03:29 PM
anyone remember this poster? kalanamak General Cooking 39 07-10-2003 04:58 PM