limey

Default Question by new poster

I would appreciate any help. I am awaiting a shipment of Seville oranges
so that I can make marmalade for the first time in my life. The recipe also
calls for two lemons. I bought a bag today but noticed when I got home that
the label says the lemons are coated with wax and resins to prolong life.
Will a good scrub in hot soapy water remove these? Or do I need to? Also,
what about when I want to use the zester, if I'm just getting "waxes and
resins"?

I've never made jam or marmalade before so I'd appreciate the advice.
Thanks!

Dora

zxcvbob

limey wrote:
> I would appreciate any help. I am awaiting a shipment of Seville oranges
> so that I can make marmalade for the first time in my life. The recipe also
> calls for two lemons. I bought a bag today but noticed when I got home that
> the label says the lemons are coated with wax and resins to prolong life.
> Will a good scrub in hot soapy water remove these? Or do I need to? Also,
> what about when I want to use the zester, if I'm just getting "waxes and
> resins"?
>
> I've never made jam or marmalade before so I'd appreciate the advice.
> Thanks!
>
> Dora

The waxes and resins are edible. Don't worry about them.

Unless you bought "organic" lemons, you probably ought to give 'em a
good scrub to remove pesticide residues, but I don't know if even that
is a big problem. I just wash them and forget about it.

Bob
Kathi Jones

"limey" > wrote in message
> I would appreciate any help. I am awaiting a shipment of Seville oranges
> so that I can make marmalade for the first time in my life. The recipe

also
> calls for two lemons. I bought a bag today but noticed when I got home

that
> the label says the lemons are coated with wax and resins to prolong life.
> Will a good scrub in hot soapy water remove these? Or do I need to?

Also,
> what about when I want to use the zester, if I'm just getting "waxes and
> resins"?
>
> I've never made jam or marmalade before so I'd appreciate the advice.
> Thanks!
>
> Dora
> --

I just made Seville orange marmalade with 4 oranges and 2 lemons. I washed
the fruit in warm soapy water and noticed that once dry, there was still a
white-ish residue. So I washed them all again with a scrub brush and warm
soapy water and rinsed until they squeeked. I didn't use a zester - my
recipe said peel the fruit in large sections, remove 1/2 the pith, and slice
peel thinly. The end result is really pretty. There doesn't appear to be a
waxy residue on the finished product....;-)

My thinking is just wash em real good and proceed.

Kathi

George Shirley

Just wash them well in warm water and the waxes and resins will be
removed. The waxes and resins are put on them to make them shiny and
attractive to shoppers and to extend their storage life.

You can still zest them after removal of the stuff.

George

limey wrote:
> I would appreciate any help. I am awaiting a shipment of Seville oranges
> so that I can make marmalade for the first time in my life. The recipe also
> calls for two lemons. I bought a bag today but noticed when I got home that
> the label says the lemons are coated with wax and resins to prolong life.
> Will a good scrub in hot soapy water remove these? Or do I need to? Also,
> what about when I want to use the zester, if I'm just getting "waxes and
> resins"?
>
> I've never made jam or marmalade before so I'd appreciate the advice.
> Thanks!
>
> Dora

The Cook

"limey" > wrote:

>"limey" wrote in message
>>I would appreciate any help. I am awaiting a shipment of Seville oranges
>>so that I can make marmalade for the first time in my life. The recipe
>>also calls for two lemons. I bought a bag today but noticed when I got
>>home that the label says the lemons are coated with wax and resins to
>>prolong life.
>> Will a good scrub in hot soapy water remove these? Or do I need to?
>> Also, what about when I want to use the zester, if I'm just getting "waxes
>> and resins"?

>Many thanks for your help. It was good to hear I was on the right track.
>(Also, lemon zest wasn't part of the recipe - just an unrelated thought,
>because of the coating.)
>Wish me luck, that I don't burn the marmalade!
>
>Dora

Just make sure that before you start cooking the marmalade you have
been to the bathroom. Then you ignore the door bell, the telephone
and children yelling. Do not leave the area of the stove. :-)

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

limey

"The Cook" wrote in message
> "limey" wrote:
>

>>Wish me luck, that I don't burn the marmalade!
>>
>>Dora
>>

> Just make sure that before you start cooking the marmalade you have
> been to the bathroom. Then you ignore the door bell, the telephone
> and children yelling. Do not leave the area of the stove. :-)
>
> --
> Susan N.

I would say LOL, but a little voice says "pay close attention to Susan".
;-)

Dora

limey