Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default New Poster

First time poster.

I have enjoyed sushi for at least 20 years now.

For Lundi Gras - The Monday before Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday - I will do
my second omikase at a joint my girlfrend Rolanda and I discovered in
January called
Tokyo Hibachi Sushi in Kenner, LA. My first omikase, though I did not
know the name at the time, occurred at Mr. Pi´s in Metuchen, NJ.

I prefer sashimi over sushi, but still eat some sushi. I also have a
blast going in to restaurants and making a meal off their appetizers,
as I still have not tried many dishes. Rolanda´s favorite, and still
rated
very highly by me, is Ninja Sushi.

As I am a bit of an environmentalist, I also enjoy trying less
expensive, lower fish - mackerel, sardines, anchovies. I like tuna and
salmon - don´ t get me wrong, but as someone said a few days ago, the
last tuna will be very expensive.

I still consider myself a novice, but look to learn more.

Thank you all for this service.

Michael Damian Jeter
New Orleans, LA
Literacy, Music, and Democracy
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-02-07 04:50:38 -0800, MichaelDamianJeter said:

> First time poster.

Welcome!

> I have enjoyed sushi for at least 20 years now.
>
> For Lundi Gras - The Monday before Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday - I will do
> my second omikase at a joint my girlfrend Rolanda and I discovered in
> January called Tokyo Hibachi Sushi in Kenner, LA. My first omikase,
> though I did not
> know the name at the time, occurred at Mr. Pi´s in Metuchen, NJ.
>
> I prefer sashimi over sushi, but still eat some sushi. I also have a
> blast going in to restaurants and making a meal off their appetizers,
> as I still have not tried many dishes. Rolanda´s favorite, and still
> rated very highly by me, is Ninja Sushi.

Sushi chefs are creative in coming up with fun names for their food.
What's ninja sushi?

> As I am a bit of an environmentalist, I also enjoy trying less
> expensive, lower fish - mackerel, sardines, anchovies. I like tuna and
> salmon - don´ t get me wrong, but as someone said a few days ago, the
> last tuna will be very expensive.

Because the wife and I like the taste of more oily fish, we too like
the ones you mention. These are called hikarimono; "shiny things" and
also include herring (nishin), kohada (gizzard shad), and half-beak
(sayori). The last two use to be rarities. Curiously there is one place
that always seems to have them these days and another that has them
regularly. We like to get a sashimi selection of hikarimono which
seems to make sushi chefs think we are "experts".

I've never found in tuna what the world finds, it seems. Though
certainly a pleasant item, It is my least favorite common found sushi.
I'm not including chu-toro or toro in that category. Just regular tuna.

> I still consider myself a novice, but look to learn more.

If you see a book called "A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients &
Culture" by Richard Hosking, get it. It will help you learn more much
faster.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Feb 8, 9:58*am, Gerry > wrote:

> *Rolanda´s favorite, and still
> > rated very highly by me, is Ninja Sushi.

> Sushi chefs are creative in coming up with fun names for their food. *
> What's ninja sushi?

Sorry. I should have paid more attention to context. Ninja Sushi is
a sushi restaurant in New Orleans on Oak Street. I´ve never had a bad
meal there. It´s Rolanda´s favorite, but at least now, I prefer Tokyo
Hibachi Sushi. in Kenner on Williams.

Michael Damian Jeter
New Orleans, LA
Democracy, Literacy, & Music

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> I still consider myself a novice, but look to learn more.

Lok up The Connoisseur's Guide to Sushi by Dave Lowry.

It is informative as well as funny. It is not how to make your own sushi book, nor does it have any glossy pictures.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:27:17 +0200:

>> I still consider myself a novice, but look to learn more.

> Lok up The Connoisseur's Guide to Sushi by Dave Lowry.

> It is informative as well as funny. It is not how to make your
> own sushi book, nor does it have any glossy pictures.

I've said it before but that's a great book. The only other advice I
would give is not to take sushi too seriously! It's great fun to eat and
you don't need a seven-year Japanese apprenticeship nor do you have to
worry which Dan you have reached.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> Armadillo wrote on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:27:17 +0200:
>

>>> I still consider myself a novice, but look to learn more.

>> Lok up The Connoisseur's Guide to Sushi by Dave Lowry.

>> It is informative as well as funny. It is not how to make your
>> own sushi book, nor does it have any glossy pictures.

> I've said it before but that's a great book. The only other advice I
> would give is not to take sushi too seriously! It's great fun to eat and
> you don't need a seven-year Japanese apprenticeship nor do you have to
> worry which Dan you have reached.

Who me? Wouldn't Dan be Korean?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:59:53 -0500:

> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Lok up The Connoisseur's Guide to Sushi by Dave Lowry.

>>> It is informative as well as funny. It is not how to make
>>> your own sushi book, nor does it have any glossy pictures.

>> I've said it before but that's a great book. The only other
>> advice I would give is not to take sushi too seriously! It's great
>> fun to eat and you don't need a seven-year Japanese
>> apprenticeship nor do you have to worry which Dan you have
>> reached.

> Who me? Wouldn't Dan be Korean?

First thro tenth dan! I wouldn't be surprised if there was such a system
and colored belts too but, thank heavens, I've never heard of it.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:55:22 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Armadillo wrote on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:27:17 +0200:
>

> >> I still consider myself a novice, but look to learn more.

> > Lok up The Connoisseur's Guide to Sushi by Dave Lowry.

> > It is informative as well as funny. It is not how to make your
> > own sushi book, nor does it have any glossy pictures.

> I've said it before but that's a great book.

And I third the motion on that!

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> First thro tenth dan! I wouldn't be surprised if there was such a system
> and colored belts too but, thank heavens, I've never heard of it.

Maybe this system doesn't have colored belts but belts with gradually increasing length.

***

More off topic

Some time ago I discussed about Kungfu with a 'martial artist' and translator (Chinese). I said Kungfu and he replied Wushu. I did not ask but another translator told me that Kungfu in fact means any well trained skill and prnounced in a specific way also means free time.

So I'm happy to say that I have blue couch in Kungfu. ;-)

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-02-08 08:47:32 -0800, Ken Blake said:

>>> Lok up The Connoisseur's Guide to Sushi by Dave Lowry.

>>> It is informative as well as funny. It is not how to make your
>>> own sushi book, nor does it have any glossy pictures.

>> I've said it before but that's a great book.

> And I third the motion on that!

I'll second the recommendation on my own recommendation which was "A
Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard
Hosking". Then I'll third and four the the motion on it as well.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> I'll second the recommendation on my own recommendation which was "A
> Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard
> Hosking".

I'll n:th that. This book was a good source when I made layout for a japanese cookbook. http://kauppa.tammi.fi/kuvat/kannet/9789513127695.jpg

It had 'romanized' names and just to improve my very limited knowledge of Japanese I decided to use real japanese names with aprropriate kanji characters. The author confirmed that I got them all correct which I'm still very proud of. ;-)

The often mentioned Bible of Japanese food is of course Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji.

Jukka

New poster.. droopus Sourdough 3 19-07-2012 02:40 PM
New poster here? Lynda B General Cooking 0 23-07-2009 09:17 PM
New poster [email protected] Wine 14 09-04-2007 06:28 PM
Question by new poster limey Preserving 6 16-02-2005 02:29 PM
anyone remember this poster? kalanamak General Cooking 39 07-10-2003 04:58 PM