Gary Woods

Default Not all that sour

I got a start of Carl Griffith's Oregon Trail starter from the nice folks
at the web site, and it took off nicely. The bread rises quite well, using
the "world sourdough" recipe from Sourdoughs of the World.

BUT

It isn't especially sour. I've done a couple of batches now, keeping the
starter in the fridge between, and waking it up the day before. Should I
just culture the starter for a while to encourage the acid making bacteria?

Thanks,

Dick Adams

"Gary Woods" >=20
wrote in message ...

> I got a start of Carl Griffith's Oregon Trail ... It isn't =

especially=20
> sour ... Should I just culture the starter for a while to encourage=20
> the acid making bacteria?

It will make sour bread as soon as it is fully activated, maybe in a day
or two at room temperature. The starter when used should not be
sour, rather active. Sourness and flavor develop during the rise.
Making dough which will sustain a long enough rise for that takes
some expertise. So does refreshing a dormant starter.

The idea that it takes a sour starter to make sour bread is=20
remarkably persistent. In fact, some people still believe it.
Perhaps a debate will follow.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Gary Woods

"Dick Adams" > wrote:

>Making dough which will sustain a long enough rise for that takes
>some expertise. So does refreshing a dormant start

Well, there's no problem with activity! The second time I used the
starter, I proofed the dough at room temp, so it rose a little slower.
Still, took just 3 hours. I refreshed the starter the day before, and it
was foaming nicely when I made the sponge in the evening to "work"
overnight.

Kenneth

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:45:44 GMT, Gary Woods
> wrote:

>The second time I used the
>starter, I proofed the dough at room temp, so it rose a little slower.
>Still, took just 3 hours.

Hi Gary,

When you say it "took just 3 hours" what do you mean?

Did you bake it at three hours because it looked a certain way, or
because you knew that by baking at that point you would have the type
of taste you wanted?

Generally (and other things being held the same), the longer you allow
the fermentation to continue before baking, the more sour the finished
loaf.

If you can duplicate just what you did, but instead let the loaf take
longer before the bake, you may get just the taste you want.

For pan loaves, doing that is rather easy because the pan "holds it
all together."

For hearth loaves, it is a more difficult juggle because as time goes
by and the pH goes down (making the loaf more sour), the gluten
degrades making the dough softer.

Give a longer final proof a try and let us know the results.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Gary Woods

Kenneth > wrote:

>When you say it "took just 3 hours" what do you mean?

The dough had reached the top of the pan and was in danger of spilling down
the side. The recipe makes two loaves in pans. One pan is a bit larger
and heavier.... got it at a yuppie gourmet chef supply store in a
yuppie-oriented mall near Albany, NY. Despite the frou-frou ambience, they
do have nice stuff at rational prices. The pan is aluminum-coated iron.

>Give a longer final proof a try and let us know the results.

I'll do that tomorrow, and report back...

Thanks!

Dick Adams

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message =

> ... Carl's starter behaves like SDI Russian - potent=20
> leavening less potent flavor. Ed wood comments that because of this=20
> (early peak in leavening) you need to let the dough age and add some=20
> flour to reinvigorate the leavening power.

I remember Mrs. Wood saying (writing) something about letting the
refreshed starter get beyond peak and then adding some flour to
get it going again before proceeding to the dough. Then there was a
two starter method by Barb Beck, where she combined an over ripe
starter with and active one. In my hands, attempts to affect the flavor
or acidity of the final bread by manipulating preferments have led
only to sour bricks.

Several persons have mentioned the similarity between SDI Russia=20
and Carl's.

> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.

> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that =

I=20
> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone =

> this route.

It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their =
cultures
together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to =
be
a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
melding. I would not be good for making that determination because=20
nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an =

expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

--
DickA

P.S. to Darrell: the Beck references at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
appear to have become obsolete.

Dick Adams

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message =

> ... Carl's starter behaves like SDI Russian - potent=20
> leavening less potent flavor. Ed wood comments that because of this=20
> (early peak in leavening) you need to let the dough age and add some=20
> flour to reinvigorate the leavening power.

I remember Mrs. Wood saying (writing) something about letting the
refreshed starter get beyond peak and then adding some flour to
get it going again before proceeding to the dough. Then there was a
two starter method by Barb Beck, where she combined an over ripe
starter with and active one. In my hands, attempts to affect the flavor
or acidity of the final bread by manipulating preferments have led
only to sour bricks.

Several persons have mentioned the similarity between SDI Russia=20
and Carl's.

> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.

> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that =

I=20
> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone =

> this route.

It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their =
cultures
together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to =
be
a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
melding. I would not be good for making that determination because=20
nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an =

expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

--
DickA

P.S. to Darrell: the Beck references at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
appear to have become obsolete.

Samartha

At 08:22 PM 10/25/2004, Dick Adams wrote:

>The idea that it takes a sour starter to make sour bread is
>remarkably persistent. In fact, some people still believe it.

>Sourness and flavor develop during the rise.

during 10 minutes rest:

http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/

Duh!

>Perhaps a debate will follow.

tssk..

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Samartha

At 08:22 PM 10/25/2004, Dick Adams wrote:

>The idea that it takes a sour starter to make sour bread is
>remarkably persistent. In fact, some people still believe it.

>Sourness and flavor develop during the rise.

during 10 minutes rest:

http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/

Duh!

>Perhaps a debate will follow.

tssk..

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Dick Adams

In message
news:mailman.1098856690.19532.rec.food.sourdough@w ww.mountainbitwarrior.c=
om
"Samartha" >

predictably took exception to my statement:

> > Sourness and flavor develop during the rise.

with the mention of the following linked conjectu
" Stage 1 is used to promote yeast and lactobacillus=20
multiplication, stage 2 for developing acid and stage 3=20
to develop all microorganisms." attributed to=20
Schuenemann/Treu, Technologie der Backwarenherstellung,=20
9th edition 1999, Gildebuchverlag Germany, 134
( http://samartha.net/SD/procedures/DM3/ )

and concluded as follows:

> Duh!

It is exciting to discover that the microorganisms know exactly
what to do according to the number of a particular stage.

Presumably those are organisms for rye sourdough, possibly
smarter than those that do doughs from white flour. The white-
flour kind just grow until they run out of pizzazz and get sour,
seeming to be relatively indifferent to minor variations in water=20
content and precise temperature.

The trick I use is not letting the stages run out of pizzazz and get
sour, until the last dough stage. Seems to work. At least for
white-wheat sourdough breads.

I have agreed that I do not precisely know what I mean by "sour"
since I do not have a pH meter in our kitchen. I crudely attempt
to measure it by taste, but degree and velocity of expansion are
more practical measures of fermentation progress.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com

Charles Perry

Dick Adams wrote:

> I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.

No, but , in context, it is a perfectly good descriptor of the
kind of flavors desirable in bread that go beyond the simple
taste of "sour"

The simple or primary tastes provided by the tounge are salty,
sour, sweet, bitter and with some dissent, meaty and hot (spicy
hot). The other senstions of taste are provided by the nose
which adds the aromatic dimensions to the primary tastes. So a
complex flavor can be a combination of the primary tastes or
contain aromatic flavors in addtion to a primary or combination
of primary tastes.

My opinion is that in the discussion of sourdough bread, the
focus is all to often on the single taste of sour rather than the
complex combination of flavor that seperates great bread from
mere sustanence. Among the complex bread flavors you can discern
nutty, wheaty, yeasty, caramel, and others all mellowed by a
taste sensation of richness that has often nothing to do with any
fat in the recipe. These minor flavors, minor in the sense that
they are not amonng the primary tastes such as salt..., are more
important than how sour a loaf may be.

My observation is that in sourdough or commercial yeast
procedures, the minor flavors are enhanced when the dough is
developed over a longer period of time at a slower pace. In other
words, the flour is wet longer. In sourdough, the primary flavor
of sour is enhanced when the process is extended. By extended,
here I mean in the case of gluten, further along in the process
of creation to eventual destruction by the results of sourdough
fermentation. This may or may not involve longer periods of
time.

It is certainly at least a plausable idea that different
sourdough cultures might by way of producing different , or
different ratios, of metabolic products, produce minor flavors
that differ in kind or intensity. Complexity, if you will.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Wcsjohn

>It is certainly at least a plausable idea that different
>sourdough cultures might by way of producing different , or
>different ratios, of metabolic products, produce minor flavors
>that differ in kind or intensity. Complexity, if you will.
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles

It's more than plausible, Charles, it would be surprising if different strains
of yeast and/or bacilli didn't produce differences in flavour. Look at the
trouble beer brewers take to keep their cultures uncontaminated.

Excessive sourness blanketing all other flavours is appetising, once or twice
but rapidly palls, for me anyway.

John
Wcsjohn

>It is certainly at least a plausable idea that different
>sourdough cultures might by way of producing different , or
>different ratios, of metabolic products, produce minor flavors
>that differ in kind or intensity. Complexity, if you will.
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles

It's more than plausible, Charles, it would be surprising if different strains
of yeast and/or bacilli didn't produce differences in flavour. Look at the
trouble beer brewers take to keep their cultures uncontaminated.

Excessive sourness blanketing all other flavours is appetising, once or twice
but rapidly palls, for me anyway.

John
Dick Adams

"Charles Perry" > wrote in message =

> [ ... ]

> It is certainly at least a plausible idea that different
> sourdough cultures might by way of producing different , or
> different ratios, of metabolic products, produce minor flavors
> that differ in kind or intensity. Complexity, if you will.

So would it be a plausible assumption that, should I describe
a taste I have perceived as complex, you would know precisely
what I meant?

Charles Perry

Dick Adams wrote:

> So would it be a plausible assumption that, should I describe
> a taste I have perceived as complex, you would know precisely
> what I meant?

I would not know exactly what flavor(s) that you were trying to
describe. However, when you use the modifier "complex" in the
context of the flavor of bread, I know that you are refering to
the aggregate of minor flavors and/or combinations of primary
tastes in low intensity and not just to an overiding taste of
"sour" as the discussion is so often bound.

Clearly we should be discussing taste and smell in Canine or
Feline, not in English. However, I am not fluent in either and
Ticker, my tutor in Feline, has given up on me. Whenever I try
to talk to her in her own language she just covers her ears or
hides.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Charles Perry

Dick Adams wrote:

> So would it be a plausible assumption that, should I describe
> a taste I have perceived as complex, you would know precisely
> what I meant?

I would not know exactly what flavor(s) that you were trying to
describe. However, when you use the modifier "complex" in the
context of the flavor of bread, I know that you are refering to
the aggregate of minor flavors and/or combinations of primary
tastes in low intensity and not just to an overiding taste of
"sour" as the discussion is so often bound.

Clearly we should be discussing taste and smell in Canine or
Feline, not in English. However, I am not fluent in either and
Ticker, my tutor in Feline, has given up on me. Whenever I try
to talk to her in her own language she just covers her ears or
hides.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Trevor J. Wilson

"Dick Adams" writes:
<<In my hands, attempts to affect the flavor or acidity of the final bread
by manipulating preferments have led only to sour bricks.>>

I have had a fair amount of success in affecting flavor and sourness by
manipulating preferments. One method that I find works particularly well is
a variation of the "old dough" method.

Create a starter and make your dough. Reserve a small portion of this dough
to create a new starter (say 10% old dough by total starter weight). When
this "new" starter is active create another dough using around 10% starter
by total dough weight. If you bake this dough you will have a mild, but
flavorful loaf. If you wish to have a more sour loaf, then hold this dough
over until the gluten begins to break down (for starters that refrigerate
well it can be held in the fridge for up to 2-3 days). Then use a large
portion of this old dough (say 25% by total dough weight) to create the
dough for a significantly more sour bread. Just be sure to calculate for the
salt that remains in these starters when you make your dough.

In essence what you will be doing is creating a cycle in which your "mild"
dough is used to create both a starter for your "mild" dough, and is also
aged and used as *the* starter for your "sour" dough. It's a bit of a
circular pattern. And I've never created any sour bricks with this method.

Trevor

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message

> ... Carl's starter behaves like SDI Russian - potent
> leavening less potent flavor. Ed wood comments that because of this
> (early peak in leavening) you need to let the dough age and add some
> flour to reinvigorate the leavening power.

I remember Mrs. Wood saying (writing) something about letting the
refreshed starter get beyond peak and then adding some flour to
get it going again before proceeding to the dough. Then there was a
two starter method by Barb Beck, where she combined an over ripe
starter with and active one. In my hands, attempts to affect the flavor
or acidity of the final bread by manipulating preferments have led
only to sour bricks.

Several persons have mentioned the similarity between SDI Russia
and Carl's.

> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.

> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that I
> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone
> this route.

It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their
cultures
together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to be
a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
melding. I would not be good for making that determination because
nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an
expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

--
DickA

P.S. to Darrell: the Beck references at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
appear to have become obsolete.

Trevor J. Wilson

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message

> ... Carl's starter behaves like SDI Russian - potent
> leavening less potent flavor. Ed wood comments that because of this
> (early peak in leavening) you need to let the dough age and add some
> flour to reinvigorate the leavening power.

I remember Mrs. Wood saying (writing) something about letting the
refreshed starter get beyond peak and then adding some flour to
get it going again before proceeding to the dough. Then there was a
two starter method by Barb Beck, where she combined an over ripe
starter with and active one. In my hands, attempts to affect the flavor
or acidity of the final bread by manipulating preferments have led
only to sour bricks.

Several persons have mentioned the similarity between SDI Russia
and Carl's.

> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.

> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that I
> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone
> this route.

It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their
cultures
together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to be
a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
melding. I would not be good for making that determination because
nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an
expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

--
DickA

P.S. to Darrell: the Beck references at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
appear to have become obsolete.

Trevor J. Wilson

I should also add that when you create your "sour" loaf with this method you
should use a high protein flour in order to protect against gluten
degradation, otherwise your loaf will begin to tear before it is ready to be
baked.

Trevor

"Trevor J. Wilson" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> [...]

> and Carl's.
>
>> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

> I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.
>
>> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that I
>> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone
>> this route.

> It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their
> cultures
> together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to
> be
> a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
> melding. I would not be good for making that determination because
> nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an
> expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

Trevor J. Wilson

> [...]

> and Carl's.
>
>> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

> I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.
>
>> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that I
>> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone
>> this route.

> It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their
> cultures
> together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to
> be
> a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
> melding. I would not be good for making that determination because
> nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an
> expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

Dick Adams

"Trevor J. Wilson" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I should also add that when you create your "sour" loaf with this =

method you=20
> should use a high protein flour in order to protect against gluten=20
> degradation, otherwise your loaf will begin to tear before it is ready =

to be=20
> baked.

One uses high protein flour in any case. Does not seem to me to protect =
against
raggy dough resulting from soured preferments.

Earlier this year I found something about cereal aspartic proteinases =
which
may be relevant, not to assume that that one is the only possibility for
chewing up gluten. That is discussed in:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3DVGLXb.4049$aH3.124464@bgtnsc04-new=
s.ops.worldnet.att.net

Can you show a photo of the bread you describe in
ink.net
(loaf and slice)?

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Samartha

At 08:02 AM 10/27/2004, Dick Adams wrote:
> The white-
>flour kind just grow until they run out of pizzazz and get sour,
>seeming to be relatively indifferent to minor variations in water
>content and precise temperature.

We'll see. I am running white flour inoculated with a rye starter (1.4 g)
through the DM3 procedure for the first time. So far, looks good, smells
very similar to the SF from SDI.

The only detailed 3-Stage description for white flour I ran across so far
was in Dan Wing's Bread Builders book.

As for SD organisms deciding not to react to variations in hydration and
temperature just because they grow in white flour may belong into the same
basket as the alkaline starter story.

Samartha

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Samartha

At 08:02 AM 10/27/2004, Dick Adams wrote:
> The white-
>flour kind just grow until they run out of pizzazz and get sour,
>seeming to be relatively indifferent to minor variations in water
>content and precise temperature.

We'll see. I am running white flour inoculated with a rye starter (1.4 g)
through the DM3 procedure for the first time. So far, looks good, smells
very similar to the SF from SDI.

The only detailed 3-Stage description for white flour I ran across so far
was in Dan Wing's Bread Builders book.

As for SD organisms deciding not to react to variations in hydration and
temperature just because they grow in white flour may belong into the same
basket as the alkaline starter story.

Samartha

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Dick Adams

"Samartha" > wrote in message =
news:mailman.1098941950.6645.rec.food.sourdough@ww w.mountainbitwarrior.co=
m...

> At 08:02 AM 10/27/2004, Dick Adams wrote:

> >The white-flour kind just grow until they run out of pizzazz and
> >get sour, seeming to be relatively indifferent to minor variations=20
> >in water content and precise temperature.

> ... The only detailed 3-Stage description for white flour I ran across
> so far was in Dan Wing's Bread Builders book.

So?

Plenty of people use sequential refreshment. Here is a description of =
one
such: http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/dickpics/starter.html =20
That plus a sponge stage comes to three stages.

> ... As for SD organisms deciding not to react to variations in =

hydration and=20
> temperature just because they grow in white flour may belong into the =

same=20
> basket as the alkaline starter story.

Perhaps the Kerry-Bush exchange is destroying the lucidity of your =
cognitive
processes?

"... Seeming to be relatively indifferent to minor variations in ..." is =
not the same=20
as "not reactive to".

The "alkaline starter story" is yours. I have not used the word =
alkaline=20
to describe starters. Check the archive! <Not sour> is not the same=20
as <alkaline>. <Sour> refers to taste. <Alkaline> refers to the =
hydronium=20
ion concentration in *suitable aqueous media*.

Something like <has WMDs> is not the same as <has bad intentions>.

--=20
Dick Adams
(Sourdough epistomologist)
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Trevor J. Wilson

<<One uses high protein flour in any case. Does not seem to me to protect
against raggy dough resulting from soured preferments.>>

I'm referring to flour with 13%-14% protein vs. 11%-12%. Don't presume that
I use high protein flour in all cases. As for your experience with high
protein flour not protecting from raggy dough -- I will not argue that.
However, in my experience it helps significantly.

And I have no pictures to show. I have not had a working oven in 2 years as
my landlord has no inclination to fix it.

Trevor

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Trevor J. Wilson" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I should also add that when you create your "sour" loaf with this method
> you
> should use a high protein flour in order to protect against gluten
> degradation, otherwise your loaf will begin to tear before it is ready to
> be
> baked.

One uses high protein flour in any case. Does not seem to me to protect
against
raggy dough resulting from soured preferments.

Earlier this year I found something about cereal aspartic proteinases which
may be relevant, not to assume that that one is the only possibility for
chewing up gluten. That is discussed in:

Can you show a photo of the bread you describe in
ink.net
(loaf and slice)?

--
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Trevor J. Wilson

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Trevor J. Wilson" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I should also add that when you create your "sour" loaf with this method
> you
> should use a high protein flour in order to protect against gluten
> degradation, otherwise your loaf will begin to tear before it is ready to
> be
> baked.

One uses high protein flour in any case. Does not seem to me to protect
against
raggy dough resulting from soured preferments.

Earlier this year I found something about cereal aspartic proteinases which
may be relevant, not to assume that that one is the only possibility for
chewing up gluten. That is discussed in:

Can you show a photo of the bread you describe in
ink.net
(loaf and slice)?

--
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Brian Mailman

Dick Adams wrote:

> Several persons have mentioned the similarity between SDI Russia
> and Carl's.

Considering the Russians were on the West Coast as far south as Ft.
Bragg/Ft. Ross in Northern California.... not such a coincidence.

B/
Brian Mailman

Charles Perry wrote:

> The simple or primary tastes provided by the tounge are salty,
> sour, sweet, bitter and with some dissent, meaty and hot (spicy
> hot).

The ultimate I've never heard of. The penultimate is referred to by the
Japanese as "umame." It's not 'meaty' per se, but "deeply pungent."

> Among the complex bread flavors you can discern
> nutty, wheaty, yeasty, caramel, and others all mellowed by a
> taste sensation of richness that has often nothing to do with any
> fat in the recipe.

Then again, some people have taste buds that even dogs can't hear.

> These minor flavors, minor in the sense that
> they are not amonng the primary tastes such as salt..., are more
> important than how sour a loaf may be.

I'll agree.

B/

> My observation is that in sourdough or commercial yeast
> procedures, the minor flavors are enhanced when the dough is
> developed over a longer period of time at a slower pace. In other
> words, the flour is wet longer. In sourdough, the primary flavor
> of sour is enhanced when the process is extended. By extended,
> here I mean in the case of gluten, further along in the process
> of creation to eventual destruction by the results of sourdough
> fermentation. This may or may not involve longer periods of
> time.
>
> It is certainly at least a plausable idea that different
> sourdough cultures might by way of producing different , or
> different ratios, of metabolic products, produce minor flavors
> that differ in kind or intensity. Complexity, if you will.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

Ernie

The San Fancisco French Bread Co. is a combination of well known
sourdough bakeries, such a Colombo and Toscana, into one large bakery in
Oakland California. They have changed their method of preparation so that
the work is done by machine. They produce thousands of loaves of French
bread which they ship all over the world.
The regular Columbo round sourdough bread does not have the great flavor
it used to have, The round loaves, which they supply to local resturants
still does. I do not know how to describe this flavor, but can recognize it
the minute I taste it. When ever I eat at a Bay Area resturant that serves
Columbo round sourdough bread I order some. Sometimes I guess the bakery
goofs and delivers the wrong bread. I can recognize it is not right on the
first taste.
I have eaten sourdough bread from the smaller bakeries around the area
and even the one in La Brea, trying to find one that makes this flavorful
bread, to no avail. I have even tried baking sourdough bread in hopes of
duplicating this flavor, but have never been succesful.
Ernie

John G.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:42:13 GMT, "Ernie"
> wrote:

> I have eaten sourdough bread from the smaller bakeries around the area
>and even the one in La Brea, trying to find one that makes this flavorful
>bread, to no avail.

Try the bread company in Pittsburg near the railroad tracks. It's
excellent.

John G.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:42:13 GMT, "Ernie"
> wrote:

> I have eaten sourdough bread from the smaller bakeries around the area
>and even the one in La Brea, trying to find one that makes this flavorful
>bread, to no avail.

Try the bread company in Pittsburg near the railroad tracks. It's
excellent.

Ernie

You mean the Bulacan Bakery on Harbor Street?
Ernie

"John G." <Grizzly@lostworld> wrote in message >
> Try the bread company in Pittsburg near the railroad tracks. It's
> excellent.

Ernie

You mean the Bulacan Bakery on Harbor Street?
Ernie

"John G." <Grizzly@lostworld> wrote in message >
> Try the bread company in Pittsburg near the railroad tracks. It's
> excellent.

Sour lemon flavor even better than sour cherry Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 5 18-12-2012 06:12 PM
Sour, sour sour sourdough Tara Banfield Sourdough 1 25-06-2006 12:45 AM
Hot and Sour Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:24 PM
Sour Roy boy Winemaking 5 30-08-2005 09:35 AM
Not sour enough... HeatherInSwampscott Sourdough 8 12-02-2004 01:27 PM