Dick Adams

"Gary Woods" >=20
wrote in message ...

> I got a start of Carl Griffith's Oregon Trail ... It isn't =

especially=20
> sour ... Should I just culture the starter for a while to encourage=20
> the acid making bacteria?

It will make sour bread as soon as it is fully activated, maybe in a day
or two at room temperature. The starter when used should not be
sour, rather active. Sourness and flavor develop during the rise.
Making dough which will sustain a long enough rise for that takes
some expertise. So does refreshing a dormant starter.

The idea that it takes a sour starter to make sour bread is=20
remarkably persistent. In fact, some people still believe it.
Perhaps a debate will follow.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html