Posted to rec.food.sourdough
QX QX is offline

Default The Pineapple Juice Solution (Sourdough seed culture)

Hello all,
I am planning to try Peter Reinhart's sourdough starter, the one that
starts out using pineapple juice to prevent some sort of nasty
bacteria from growing. (In his "Artisan Breads Everyday" book)

The problem is, we really dislike canned pineapple juice.

I was wondering if anyone tried it using freshly processed
pineapple juice? I did not see frozen pineapple juice where I shop.

I have a fresh pineapple in the fridge which I plan to process a
small portion, then strain out the juice from the remaining pulp and
use that in my sourdough seed.

Any suggestions, or comments?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:59:49 -0800, QX > wrote:

>Hello all,
>I am planning to try Peter Reinhart's sourdough starter, the one that
>starts out using pineapple juice to prevent some sort of nasty
>bacteria from growing. (In his "Artisan Breads Everyday" book)
>
>The problem is, we really dislike canned pineapple juice.
>
>I was wondering if anyone tried it using freshly processed
>pineapple juice? I did not see frozen pineapple juice where I shop.
>
>I have a fresh pineapple in the fridge which I plan to process a
>small portion, then strain out the juice from the remaining pulp and
>use that in my sourdough seed.
>
>Any suggestions, or comments?

I'd just use plain flour and water. Eat the pineapple while it's
fresh. You can get a lot of nasty bacteria from old pineapple too
:P

>Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Any suggestions, or comments?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I had great luck "fathering" a culture with just whole grain rye flour
and water. The only time I have had an issue with mold or off odors is
when I have continually refreshed a fridge culture over a long period
of time without changing out the jar.
Matt
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"QX" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I am planning to try Peter Reinhart's sourdough starter, the one that
> starts out using pineapple juice to prevent some sort of nasty
> bacteria from growing. (In his "Artisan Breads Everyday" book)
>
> The problem is, we really dislike canned pineapple juice.
>
> I was wondering if anyone tried it using freshly processed
> pineapple juice? I did not see frozen pineapple juice where I shop.
>
> I have a fresh pineapple in the fridge which I plan to process a
> small portion, then strain out the juice from the remaining pulp and
> use that in my sourdough seed.
>
> Any suggestions, or comments?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation that
he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest putting
anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain some fleeting
notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of culture
conception.

Good to see some activity on RFS though...

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

hutchndi wrote:
>> Any suggestions, or comments?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation that
> he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest putting
> anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain some fleeting
> notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of culture
> conception.

If you da try cowshit - may shortcut the somewhat longer path up on
the grain stalk where the rye berries grow.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Sam" > wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1267308163.21159.rec.food.sourdough @www.mountainbitwarrior.com...
> hutchndi wrote:
>>> Any suggestions, or comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation
>> that he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest
>> putting anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain
>> some fleeting notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of
>> culture conception.
>>

> If you da try cowshit - may shortcut the somewhat longer path up on
> the grain stalk where the rye berries grow.

heh heh heh

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

hutchndi wrote:
> "Sam" > wrote in message
> news:mailman.1.1267308163.21159.rec.food.sourdough @www.mountainbitwarrior.com...

>>> I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation
>>> that he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest
>>> putting anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain
>>> some fleeting notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of
>>> culture conception.
>>>

>> If you da try cowshit - may shortcut the somewhat longer path up on
>> the grain stalk where the rye berries grow.

> heh heh heh

Lb brevis, Lb plantarum, Lb reuteri - all bread SD critters - isolated
from just there. Pineapples juice is just amateur's stuff! Maybe
spitting in it could work?

No hehe - serious SD starter business!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

QX wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am planning to try Peter Reinhart's sourdough starter, the one that
> starts out using pineapple juice to prevent some sort of nasty
> bacteria from growing. (In his "Artisan Breads Everyday" book)
>
> The problem is, we really dislike canned pineapple juice.
>
> I was wondering if anyone tried it using freshly processed
> pineapple juice? I did not see frozen pineapple juice where I shop.
>
> I have a fresh pineapple in the fridge which I plan to process a
> small portion, then strain out the juice from the remaining pulp and
> use that in my sourdough seed.
>
> Any suggestions, or comments?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Use orange juice instead. Does Reinhart have you use whole wheat or whole rye
flour to start your starter rather than refined wheat?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> "QX" > wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>> I am planning to try Peter Reinhart's sourdough starter, the one that
>> starts out using pineapple juice to prevent some sort of nasty
>> bacteria from growing. (In his "Artisan Breads Everyday" book)
>>
>> The problem is, we really dislike canned pineapple juice.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone tried it using freshly processed
>> pineapple juice? I did not see frozen pineapple juice where I shop.
>>
>> I have a fresh pineapple in the fridge which I plan to process a
>> small portion, then strain out the juice from the remaining pulp and
>> use that in my sourdough seed.
>>
>> Any suggestions, or comments?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation that
> he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest putting
> anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain some fleeting
> notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of culture
> conception.
>
> Good to see some activity on RFS though...

Just a little science instead of superstitious folkie nonsense such as making
starter from grapes, peach leaves, potato water, and the idea that wild yeast
is captured 'from the air' etc.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Sam" > wrote in message
news:mailman.2.1267323716.21159.rec.food.sourdough @www.mountainbitwarrior.com...
> hutchndi wrote:
>> "Sam" > wrote in message
>> news:mailman.1.1267308163.21159.rec.food.sourdough @www.mountainbitwarrior.com...

>>> If you da try cowshit - may shortcut the somewhat longer path up on
>>> the grain stalk where the rye berries grow.

>> heh heh heh
>>

> Lb brevis, Lb plantarum, Lb reuteri - all bread SD critters - isolated
> from just there. Pineapples juice is just amateur's stuff! Maybe spitting
> in it could work?
>
> No hehe - serious SD starter business!

Actually, there was someone who started an interesting thread here a few
years ago concerning another possible place of residence sourdough critters
, children's teeth, and his own method of biting dough to inoculate the
stuff into it. How far off is spit from that?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Maximust" > wrote in message
> hutchndi wrote:
>

>> "QX" > wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>> I am planning to try Peter Reinhart's sourdough starter, the one that
>>> starts out using pineapple juice to prevent some sort of nasty
>>> bacteria from growing. (In his "Artisan Breads Everyday" book)
>>>
>>> The problem is, we really dislike canned pineapple juice.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone tried it using freshly processed
>>> pineapple juice? I did not see frozen pineapple juice where I shop.
>>>
>>> I have a fresh pineapple in the fridge which I plan to process a
>>> small portion, then strain out the juice from the remaining pulp and
>>> use that in my sourdough seed.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, or comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation
>> that
>> he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest
>> putting
>> anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain some
>> fleeting
>> notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of culture
>> conception.
>>
>> Good to see some activity on RFS though...

> Just a little science instead of superstitious folkie nonsense such as
> making
> starter from grapes, peach leaves, potato water, and the idea that wild
> yeast
> is captured 'from the air' etc.

So let me see if I am understanding this. Your saying you agree that all the
other stuff is folkie nonsense, but pineapple juice (or orange juice) is a
scientifically proven sourdough medium? or that sourdough even needs any
extra ingredient other than flour,water, and what is already present in the
grain?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> "Maximust" > wrote in message
>> hutchndi wrote:

>>> I don't understand why anyone wanting to uphold any kind of reputation
>>> that
>>> he may have any idea what he is doing with sourdough would suggest
>>> putting
>>> anything into his starter but flour and water, other than gain some
>>> fleeting
>>> notoriety for another new gimicky yet unnecessary method of culture
>>> conception.
>>>
>>> Good to see some activity on RFS though...

>> Just a little science instead of superstitious folkie nonsense such as
>> making
>> starter from grapes, peach leaves, potato water, and the idea that wild
>> yeast
>> is captured 'from the air' etc.

> So let me see if I am understanding this. Your saying you agree that all the
> other stuff is folkie nonsense, but pineapple juice (or orange juice) is a
> scientifically proven sourdough medium?

If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you would
know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a formula
for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
invented by Reinhart.

> or that sourdough even needs any
> extra ingredient other than flour,water, and what is already present in the
> grain?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Maximust" > wrote in message
> hutchndi wrote:

>>> Just a little science instead of superstitious folkie nonsense such as
>>> making
>>> starter from grapes, peach leaves, potato water, and the idea that wild
>>> yeast
>>> is captured 'from the air' etc.

>> So let me see if I am understanding this. Your saying you agree that all
>> the
>> other stuff is folkie nonsense, but pineapple juice (or orange juice) is
>> scientifically proven sourdough medium?

> If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you
> would
> know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a
> formula
> for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
> invented by Reinhart.
>
>> or that sourdough even needs any
>> extra ingredient other than flour,water, and what is already present in
>> the
>> grain?

Who is talking about producing ones sourdough breads? I too am discussing
creating one's sourdough starter from scratch. I have googled the phrase
like you asked and I also am already familiar with the pineapple juice
procedure from frequenting The Fresh Loaf website, and I still see no reason
for it whatsoever, if it is to keep your starter from acquiring some germ or
to kick start and perk them up or whatever. Brilliant as it very surely must
be I think it is a bunch of snake-oil crap. Before the new craze surfaced
the method was the same only using plain water. Curious, do pineapples grow
in Egypt? Does wheat or rye grow in Hawaii? Really, as usual, I have no
idea. Isn't this fun?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:22:08 -0800, Maximust >
wrote:

>If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you would
>know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a formula
>for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
>invented by Reinhart.

No, it isn't brilliant, any more than a lot of the horse shit printed
in Reinhart's earlier books and that he is now backtracking and
tiptoeing away from as bread baking "trends" shift with the sands.

You do not need pineapple juice or orange juice or grapes or anything
other than flour and water to make a starter.

You think sourdough was invented in South America where pineapples
come from?

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:52:10 -0500, "hutchndi" >
wrote:

>"Maximust" > wrote in message
>> hutchndi wrote:

>>> So let me see if I am understanding this. Your saying you agree that all
>>> the
>>> other stuff is folkie nonsense, but pineapple juice (or orange juice) is
>>> scientifically proven sourdough medium?

>> If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you
>> would
>> know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a
>> formula
>> for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
>> invented by Reinhart.
>>
>>> or that sourdough even needs any
>>> extra ingredient other than flour,water, and what is already present in
>>> the
>>> grain?

>Who is talking about producing ones sourdough breads? I too am discussing
>creating one's sourdough starter from scratch. I have googled the phrase
>like you asked and I also am already familiar with the pineapple juice
>procedure from frequenting The Fresh Loaf website, and I still see no reason
>for it whatsoever, if it is to keep your starter from acquiring some germ or
>to kick start and perk them up or whatever. Brilliant as it very surely must
>be I think it is a bunch of snake-oil crap. Before the new craze surfaced
>the method was the same only using plain water. Curious, do pineapples grow
>in Egypt? Does wheat or rye grow in Hawaii? Really, as usual, I have no
>idea. Isn't this fun?

Hey! I shoulda read ahead. You nailed it.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> "Maximust" > wrote in message
>> hutchndi wrote:

>>> So let me see if I am understanding this. Your saying you agree that all
>>> the
>>> other stuff is folkie nonsense, but pineapple juice (or orange juice) is
>>> scientifically proven sourdough medium?

>> If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you
>> would
>> know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a
>> formula
>> for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
>> invented by Reinhart.
>>
>>> or that sourdough even needs any
>>> extra ingredient other than flour,water, and what is already present in
>>> the
>>> grain?

> Who is talking about producing ones sourdough breads? I too am discussing
> creating one's sourdough starter from scratch. I have googled the phrase
> like you asked and I also am already familiar with the pineapple juice
> procedure from frequenting The Fresh Loaf website, and I still see no reason
> for it whatsoever, if it is to keep your starter from acquiring some germ or
> to kick start and perk them up or whatever. Brilliant as it very surely must
> be I think it is a bunch of snake-oil crap.

It does exactly what its proponents say it does, which is create an environment
which is too acidic for unneeded Leuconostoc bacteria to thrive, yet favorable
for lactic acid bacteria, thus shaving a few days off the time for creating a
sourdough culture. It isn't snake oil because it isn't phony. The principle is
actually quite simple.

> Before the new craze surfaced
> the method was the same only using plain water. Curious, do pineapples grow
> in Egypt? Does wheat or rye grow in Hawaii?

Both of those areas have supermarkets.

> Really, as usual, I have no
> idea. Isn't this fun?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:22:08 -0800, Maximust >
> wrote:
>

>>If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you would
>>know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a formula
>>for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
>>invented by Reinhart.
>>

> No, it isn't brilliant, any more than a lot of the horse shit printed
> in Reinhart's earlier books and that he is now backtracking and
> tiptoeing away from as bread baking "trends" shift with the sands.
>
> You do not need pineapple juice or orange juice or grapes or anything
> other than flour and water to make a starter.
>
> You think sourdough was invented in South America where pineapples
> come from?
>
> Boron

Oh boy! another display of illiteracy. Nobody said anybody 'needed' pineapple
juice.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Maximust wrote:

> hutchndi wrote:

>>> If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you
>>> would
>>> know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a
>>> formula
>>> for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
>>> invented by Reinhart.

>> Who is talking about producing ones sourdough breads? I too am discussing
>> creating one's sourdough starter from scratch. I have googled the phrase
>> like you asked and I also am already familiar with the pineapple juice
>> procedure from frequenting The Fresh Loaf website, and I still see no reason
>> for it whatsoever, if it is to keep your starter from acquiring some germ or
>> to kick start and perk them up or whatever. Brilliant as it very surely must
>> be I think it is a bunch of snake-oil crap.

> It does exactly what its proponents say it does, which is create an
> environment which is too acidic for unneeded Leuconostoc bacteria to thrive,
> yet favorable for lactic acid bacteria, thus shaving a few days off the time
> for creating a sourdough culture. It isn't snake oil because it isn't phony.
> The principle is actually quite simple.

[crickets]

>> Before the new craze surfaced
>> the method was the same only using plain water. Curious, do pineapples grow
>> in Egypt? Does wheat or rye grow in Hawaii?

> Both of those areas have supermarkets.
>
>> Really, as usual, I have no
>> idea. Isn't this fun?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Maximust" > wrote in message
> Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:22:08 -0800, Maximust >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you
>>>would
>>>know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a
>>>formula
>>>for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it
>>>wasn't
>>>invented by Reinhart.
>>>

>> No, it isn't brilliant, any more than a lot of the horse shit printed
>> in Reinhart's earlier books and that he is now backtracking and
>> tiptoeing away from as bread baking "trends" shift with the sands.
>>
>> You do not need pineapple juice or orange juice or grapes or anything
>> other than flour and water to make a starter.
>>
>> You think sourdough was invented in South America where pineapples
>> come from?
>>
>> Boron

> Oh boy! another display of illiteracy. Nobody said anybody 'needed'
> pineapple
> juice.

But of course, you are free to do whatever you please in your kitchen, and
if you desire to add pineapple juice to your starter or even put ketchup on
your hot dogs, do so with abandon. But please don't resort to calling
anybody illiterate just because they might choose not to believe everything
they read as you do, we have some very well read posters here and not
everybody here agrees with everything Mr. Rienhart has to say about the
subject of sourdough, unlike some of the more generalized bread baking
websites I have recently visited where he is bowed down to like some kind of
bread god. On the other hand, this is RFS, where self regulation is mostly
by choice and moderation is not strictly enforced, with most regulars being
very thick skinned, so if for some reason someone were to call you a silly
lemming or worse, not a big deal right?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:47:24 -0800, Maximust >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:22:08 -0800, Maximust >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>If you knew anything at all about Reinhart's pineapple juice method you would
>>>know what'm I'm referring. It is a method to produce a starter, not a formula
>>>for one's sourdough breads. Go google it. It's brilliant, though it wasn't
>>>invented by Reinhart.
>>>

>> No, it isn't brilliant, any more than a lot of the horse shit printed
>> in Reinhart's earlier books and that he is now backtracking and
>> tiptoeing away from as bread baking "trends" shift with the sands.
>>
>> You do not need pineapple juice or orange juice or grapes or anything
>> other than flour and water to make a starter.
>>
>> You think sourdough was invented in South America where pineapples
>> come from?
>>
>> Boron

>Oh boy! another display of illiteracy. Nobody said anybody 'needed' pineapple
>juice.

You've posted this crap in two Usenet groups, made a **** poor attempt
at showing off your distinct lack of knowledge and now you are whining
when you're called on it.

Idiot.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Maximust" > wrote in message
> Maximust wrote:
>> It does exactly what its proponents say it does, which is create an
>> environment which is too acidic for unneeded Leuconostoc bacteria to
>> thrive,
>> yet favorable for lactic acid bacteria, thus shaving a few days off the
>> time
>> for creating a sourdough culture.

For the original poster of this thread, from what I have read about this,
the only real (possibly) benefit of this method would be to keep people from
falsely giving up and throwing away a starter that may have been initially
overtaken by this bacteria, but which would have been overtaken by the
desired strains eventually anyway. Whether or not this actually shaves time
off the process I have no idea, but I would rather let the sourdough
critters battle it out, and win, then contaminate the mix.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Feb 28, 6:33*pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:
> For the original poster of this thread, from what I have read about this,
> the only real (possibly) benefit of this method would be to keep people from
> falsely giving up and throwing away a starter that may have been initially
> overtaken by this *bacteria...

I gotta say that nobody, other than Reinhart, has identified this
Leuconostoc bacteria as a starter issue.
And I seriously doubt any laboratory analysis was ever done to support
his claim.

Like Boron said... there's a lot of BS that goes around.

Freshly milled rye and a bit of water does the trick. If you get that
business, the so-called "hootch", you've got too much water in the
starter.

Will
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message
On Feb 28, 6:33 pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:
> For the original poster of this thread, from what I have read about this,
> the only real (possibly) benefit of this method would be to keep people
> from
> falsely giving up and throwing away a starter that may have been initially
> overtaken by this bacteria...

I gotta say that nobody, other than Reinhart, has identified this
Leuconostoc bacteria as a starter issue.
And I seriously doubt any laboratory analysis was ever done to support
his claim.

Like Boron said... there's a lot of BS that goes around.

Freshly milled rye and a bit of water does the trick. If you get that
business, the so-called "hootch", you've got too much water in the
starter.

Will

From what I got from this website,
http://peterreinhart.typepad.com/pet...ugh_start.html
the symptoms of this are something that I have experienced, and I believe
Samartha has explained for us before. Not so much the hooch that scares
everybody, it is a drop off in activity after an initial period where it
seems all is well. As I said, I simply ignored it and continued, and soon
all was all again, without adding pineapple juice or anything else. So while
nobody else may be finding the bacteria, they may be seeing this slack
period as evidence of Rienharts Leuconostoc bacteria.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:47:24 -0800, Maximust >
> wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> No, it isn't brilliant, any more than a lot of the horse shit printed
>>> in Reinhart's earlier books and that he is now backtracking and
>>> tiptoeing away from as bread baking "trends" shift with the sands.
>>>
>>> You do not need pineapple juice or orange juice or grapes or anything
>>> other than flour and water to make a starter.
>>>
>>> You think sourdough was invented in South America where pineapples
>>> come from?
>>>
>>> Boron

>>Oh boy! another display of illiteracy. Nobody said anybody 'needed' pineapple
>>juice.

> You've posted this crap in two Usenet groups,

Which two groups were those?

> made a **** poor attempt
> at showing off your distinct lack of knowledge and now you are whining
> when you're called on it.

Really?

> Idiot.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> "Maximust" > wrote in message
>> Maximust wrote:
>>> It does exactly what its proponents say it does, which is create an
>>> environment which is too acidic for unneeded Leuconostoc bacteria to
>>> thrive,
>>> yet favorable for lactic acid bacteria, thus shaving a few days off the
>>> time
>>> for creating a sourdough culture.

> For the original poster of this thread, from what I have read about this,
> the only real (possibly) benefit of this method would be to keep people from
> falsely giving up and throwing away a starter that may have been initially
> overtaken by this bacteria, but which would have been overtaken by the
> desired strains eventually anyway. Whether or not this actually shaves time
> off the process I have no idea,

Why not?
> but I would rather let the sourdough
> critters battle it out, and win, then contaminate the mix.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Will wrote:

> On Feb 28, 6:33*pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:
>> For the original poster of this thread, from what I have read about this,
>> the only real (possibly) benefit of this method would be to keep people from
>> falsely giving up and throwing away a starter that may have been initially
>> overtaken by this *bacteria...

> I gotta say that nobody, other than Reinhart, has identified this
> Leuconostoc bacteria as a starter issue.

Reinhart didn't idenify it, he published other known results.

> And I seriously doubt any laboratory analysis was ever done to support
> his claim.

Why?

> Like Boron said... there's a lot of BS that goes around.

There's a lot of BS that goes around in the backwaters of usenet, that's for
sure. It's comical.

> Freshly milled rye and a bit of water does the trick. If you get that
> business, the so-called "hootch", you've got too much water in the
> starter.
>
> Will

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Maximust" > wrote in message
> hutchndi wrote:

>> For the original poster of this thread, from what I have read about this,
>> the only real (possibly) benefit of this method would be to keep people
>> from
>> falsely giving up and throwing away a starter that may have been
>> initially
>> overtaken by this bacteria, but which would have been overtaken by the
>> desired strains eventually anyway. Whether or not this actually shaves
>> time
>> off the process I have no idea,

> Why not?

Probably because I could care less to find out. Whatever is going on in the
microbial party the first few days will subside eventually anyways, that is
something that even Debra Wink agrees with, and while her blog is
interesting...
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/108...olution-part-1 there
is nothing in it to make me think otherwise.