Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes

Default Sourdough starter update

I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
- which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?

Many thanks.

--
Corey Richardson

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?
>
> Many thanks.

One of the things that will make your starter improve in flavor and texture
is to use it frequently. I used to make Saturday morning SD biscuits often
as it is so much easier than making bread. You don't have to roll them out
or anything like that just form into small balls and arrange in a pan and
bake. I used an iron skillet, Kind of like how you'd do it if you were
camping. This site suggests baking powder. I never used it and yet my
biscuits were always tender. And as time went on they got better as the
starter matured.

http://www.castbullet.com/cooking/sourb.htm

The more often you use the starter, the better it gets. And you have to use
it regularly to keep it healthy.

Paul

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,alt.bread.recipes

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --
> Corey Richardson

Visit this site: http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

It has all you need to know about sourdough.
HTH
Graham

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes
Anj Anj is offline

On Jul 18, 3:12*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message

> > I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> > thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> > - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.

> > Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?

> > Many thanks.

> One of the things that will make your starter improve in flavor and texture
> is to use it frequently. *I used to make Saturday morning SD biscuits often
> as it is so much easier than making bread. *You don't have to roll them out
> or anything like that just form into small balls and arrange in a pan and
> bake. *I used an iron skillet, *Kind of like how you'd do it if you were
> camping. *This site suggests baking powder. *I never used it and yet my
> biscuits were always tender. *And as time went on they got better as the
> starter matured.
>
> http://www.castbullet.com/cooking/sourb.htm
>
> The more often you use the starter, the better it gets. *And you have to use
> it regularly to keep it healthy.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the link! We now have a sourdough biscuit recipe. David
does the sourdough in our house, while I do all the other bread.
Hugs,
Anj
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,alt.bread.recipes
Anj Anj is offline

On Jul 18, 3:55*pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>
> ... > I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> > thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> > - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.

> > Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?

> > Many thanks.

> > --
> > Corey Richardson

> Visit this site:http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
>
> It has all you need to know about sourdough.
> HTH
> Graham

Hi, Graham,

Thanks for the link. David was really happy to see it when I showed
it to him. Of course, it is now in our bookmarks.
Hugs,
Anj

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes

Corey Richardson > wrote in
:

> I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?
>
> Many thanks.

Here's the master's site.

http://samartha.net/SD/

Barry
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes

Barry Harmon > wrote:
> Corey Richardson > wrote in

> > I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> > thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> > - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.
> >
> > Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?
> >
> > Many thanks.

> Here's the master's site.
>
> http://samartha.net/SD/

Great web site! Thanks, Barry.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes
Anj Anj is offline

On Jul 18, 11:53*pm, Barry Harmon > wrote:
> Corey Richardson > wrote :
>
> > I've since found out that thickness was the main problem. I've
> > thickened the starter up and it now doubles in size in around 12 hours
> > - which is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.

> > Now, can anyone recommend a really good sourdough loaf recipe?

> > Many thanks.

> Here's the master's site.
>
> http://samartha.net/SD/
>
> Barry