Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Hi. I'm Stephanie and I've gone sourdough crazy.

I didn't understand at first that commercial yeast is just the gateway
that gets you hooked on bread baking. I do now.

I made a starter about 2 months ago and I've been baking since about day
10. It's an amazing way to make bread. I never liked commercial
sourdough bread and none of the bakeries around me do a sourdough
anymore. I was so wrong about it. The taste, especially when paired with
a really good roast beef or turkey, is unmatched by any other bread.

Right now I'm working on various experiments with stone ground rye,
whole wheat, and possibly fancy durum, as well as baking simple
French-style loaves almost every day using the same amount, by weight,
of flour and starter, plus enough water to get me around a 72% hydration
dough. I'm still learning how to score well.

Just wanted to say hi and possibly participate a bit. I'm looking to
learn all I can.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:37:53 GMT, Stephanie Brim >
wrote:

>I didn't understand at first that commercial yeast is just the gateway
>that gets you hooked on bread baking. I do now.
>
>I made a starter about 2 months ago and I've been baking since about day
>10. It's an amazing way to make bread. I never liked commercial
>sourdough bread and none of the bakeries around me do a sourdough
>anymore. I was so wrong about it. The taste, especially when paired with
>a really good roast beef or turkey, is unmatched by any other bread.
>
>Right now I'm working on various experiments with stone ground rye,
>whole wheat, and possibly fancy durum, as well as baking simple
>French-style loaves almost every day using the same amount, by weight,
>of flour and starter, plus enough water to get me around a 72% hydration
>dough. I'm still learning how to score well.
>
>Just wanted to say hi and possibly participate a bit. I'm looking to
>learn all I can.

Welcome.

I have become so fond of sourdough that I use commercial yeast less
and less these days (ok...when I get my gift of a 2 lb block of fresh
yeast every year or so, I do enjoy that, but...).

I have mixed two batches of dough up tonight, each based on a
sourdough preferment I started last night. About 10 oz of 100%
hydration preferment went into the mixer first. After that, they are
pretty similar in that the following was incorporated into each batch
(these are approximations, as I did not use any specific recipe).

2.5 lbs Hecker AP flour (about...)
4 extra large eggs
12 oz unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp salt

The challah dough has some whole milk, too...maybe 1/2 -3/4 cup

The dough for the pecan sticky buns has some milk and about half a cup
of sour cream. Little bit more flour went into this, too.

DLX mixer was used for each batch. After a couple more stretch and
folds, they will be fermented overnight in the basement where the temp
is about 45 degrees F, shaped and baked tomorrow.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Stephanie Brim" > wrote in message news:ANkql.592253$yE1.86138@attbi_s21...

> ... I'm working on various experiments with stone ground rye,
> whole wheat, and possibly fancy durum, as well as baking simple
> French-style loaves almost every day using the same amount, by weight,
> of flour and starter, plus enough water to get me around a 72% hydration
> dough.

That should work. Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.

> I'm still learning how to score well.

Can we meet?

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
> eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.

Hey now, my market actually 'likes' sourdough bread with all those
abominations in it now and then... Almost like the store bought stuff...

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...
> Dick Adams wrote:
> Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
> > eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.

> Hey now, my market actually 'likes' sourdough bread with all those
> abominations in it now and then... Almost like the store bought stuff...

I am not exactly sure what you mean. Is it that you are taking some of
your homemade bread with you when you go shopping, and distributing
it to the employees at the place where you shop?

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 03:54:58 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
wrote:

>"Stephanie Brim" > wrote in message news:ANkql.592253$yE1.86138@attbi_s21...
>
>> ... I'm working on various experiments with stone ground rye,
>> whole wheat, and possibly fancy durum, as well as baking simple
>> French-style loaves almost every day using the same amount, by weight,
>> of flour and starter, plus enough water to get me around a 72% hydration
>> dough.

>That should work. Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
>eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.

Or that she falls into the grips of the anal-retentive geezers here.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 03:54:58 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Stephanie Brim" > wrote in message news:ANkql.592253$yE1.86138@attbi_s21...
>>
>>> ... I'm working on various experiments with stone ground rye,
>>> whole wheat, and possibly fancy durum, as well as baking simple
>>> French-style loaves almost every day using the same amount, by weight,
>>> of flour and starter, plus enough water to get me around a 72% hydration
>>> dough.

>> That should work. Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
>> eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.
>>

> Or that she falls into the grips of the anal-retentive geezers here.
>
> Boron

Anal-retentiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I think a better word
is purist. I'm not really one of those, but I do like a simple,
no-frills loaf of bread. It's amazing how good a loaf can be that's
essentially made with flour, water, and salt.

As it is, I'm also going to be making a sourdough sweet roll sometime
this week, and I love sourdough pizza crust.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Stephanie Brim" > wrote in message news:ANkql.592253$yE1.86138@attbi_s21...
>
>> ... I'm working on various experiments with stone ground rye,
>> whole wheat, and possibly fancy durum, as well as baking simple
>> French-style loaves almost every day using the same amount, by weight,
>> of flour and starter, plus enough water to get me around a 72% hydration
>> dough.

> That should work. Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
> eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.

There is nothing wrong with enriched breads. They have their
place...such as for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my daughter.

>> I'm still learning how to score well.

> Can we meet?

Adam would disapprove I think.

> --
> Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:47:29 GMT, Stephanie Brim >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 03:54:58 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
>> wrote:

>>> That should work. Well, at least you are not so crazy yet that you're talkin'
>>> eggs, milk, butter, honey and perverse unsourdoughlike stuff like that.
>>>

>> Or that she falls into the grips of the anal-retentive geezers here.
>>
>> Boron

>Anal-retentiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I think a better word
>is purist. I'm not really one of those, but I do like a simple,
>no-frills loaf of bread. It's amazing how good a loaf can be that's
>essentially made with flour, water, and salt.

That's just lean bread. Some breads are like that, some aren't.

>As it is, I'm also going to be making a sourdough sweet roll sometime
>this week, and I love sourdough pizza crust.

Here are some things you can do with sourdough:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2564880...7614640840416/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:47:29 GMT, Stephanie Brim >
> wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Or that she falls into the grips of the anal-retentive geezers here.
>>>
>>> Boron

>> Anal-retentiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I think a better word
>> is purist. I'm not really one of those, but I do like a simple,
>> no-frills loaf of bread. It's amazing how good a loaf can be that's
>> essentially made with flour, water, and salt.

> That's just lean bread. Some breads are like that, some aren't.
>> As it is, I'm also going to be making a sourdough sweet roll sometime
>> this week, and I love sourdough pizza crust.

> Here are some things you can do with sourdough:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/2564880...7614640840416/

I think I may change my plans from a sweet roll to a savory; someone
gave me an excellent idea today for a filling that includes bacon. I'm
always on the lookout for other breads to make with bacon.

http://mentalexperimental.org is my blog. I tend to share my baking if
it ends up going well.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:37:53 GMT, Stephanie Brim
> wrote:

>I'm still learning how to score well.

Howdy,

Tell us a bit more...

What problems are you having? What are you using to make the
cuts?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 02:10:44 GMT, Stephanie Brim >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:47:29 GMT, Stephanie Brim >
>> wrote:

>>> Anal-retentiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I think a better word
>>> is purist. I'm not really one of those, but I do like a simple,
>>> no-frills loaf of bread. It's amazing how good a loaf can be that's
>>> essentially made with flour, water, and salt.

>> That's just lean bread. Some breads are like that, some aren't.
>>> As it is, I'm also going to be making a sourdough sweet roll sometime
>>> this week, and I love sourdough pizza crust.

>> Here are some things you can do with sourdough:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/2564880...7614640840416/
>>

>I think I may change my plans from a sweet roll to a savory; someone
>gave me an excellent idea today for a filling that includes bacon. I'm
>always on the lookout for other breads to make with bacon.
>
>http://mentalexperimental.org is my blog. I tend to share my baking if
>it ends up going well.

See? You're not a "purist" at all. You've got olive oil in the pizza
dough, milk,. honey and butter in your boule...THAT'S the way to use
sourdough...as a general sub for commercial yeast. Good show. Keep it
up.

boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Kenneth wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:37:53 GMT, Stephanie Brim
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm still learning how to score well.

> Howdy,
>
> Tell us a bit more...
>
> What problems are you having? What are you using to make the
> cuts?
>
> Thanks,

I'm using a serrated knife with a thin, long blade. I cut at a 30 or so
degree angle to the bread when I'm doing baguettes, and straight when
I'm doing boules. I'm pretty close now. My main issue is having the cuts
close up on me, which is what happened with a loaf that I recently made.

Just going to keep on keepin' on. One of the cuts on the recent loaf was
really good. Tremendous bloom and ears. I think the other cut I made
just wasn't as deep or quite at the correct angle.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 02:43:14 GMT, Stephanie Brim
> wrote:

>Kenneth wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:37:53 GMT, Stephanie Brim
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still learning how to score well.

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Tell us a bit more...
>>
>> What problems are you having? What are you using to make the
>> cuts?
>>
>> Thanks,

>I'm using a serrated knife with a thin, long blade. I cut at a 30 or so
>degree angle to the bread when I'm doing baguettes, and straight when
>I'm doing boules. I'm pretty close now. My main issue is having the cuts
>close up on me, which is what happened with a loaf that I recently made.
>
>Just going to keep on keepin' on. One of the cuts on the recent loaf was
>really good. Tremendous bloom and ears. I think the other cut I made
>just wasn't as deep or quite at the correct angle.

Howdy,

I'd suggest that you use a razor blade rather than the
serrated knife.

You also might consider rubbing the surface of the loaf with
some flour before the coup. If the cuts are closing up, it
sounds as if the dough is quite moist. That has some
advantages, but by rubbing the surface with flour you can
effectively toughen it up a bit and that will decrease the
tendency of the cuts to close.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Stephanie Brim wrote:

<snap>

> http://mentalexperimental.org is my blog. I tend to share my baking if
> it ends up going well.

This web_address dig not work for me, get this note:

Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator,
and inform them of
the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying
to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Joe Umstead

end of file

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Joe Umstead wrote:
> Stephanie Brim wrote:
>
> <snap>
>
>> http://mentalexperimental.org is my blog. I tend to share my baking if
>> it ends up going well.

> This web_address dig not work for me, get this note:
>
> Internal Server Error
>

> The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
> to complete your request.
>

> Please contact the server administrator,
> and inform them of
> the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
> caused the error.
>

> More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
>

> Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying
> to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>

> Joe Umstead
>

> end of file

I just checked it out and emailed the hosting company. It worked fine
last night, so something just went wrong. I got no emails from them at all.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...

> [>>>>>>>'s,>>>>>>'s,>>>>>'s,>>>'s,>>>,>>'s deleted]

> See? You're not a "purist" at all. You've got olive oil in the pizza
> dough, milk,. honey and butter in your boule...THAT'S the way to use
> sourdough...as a general sub for commercial yeast. Good show. Keep it
> up.

Cripes, Boron ("Chemical Elgar"), do you gotta requote the whole thread
for one small item of opinionation?
Member

Hmmm... yummmy...

Thanks fo sharing....
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
>> Anal-retentiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I think a better
>> word is purist.

Roger that!

> I'm not really one of those, but I do like a simple,
>> no-frills loaf of bread. It's amazing how good a loaf can be that's
>> essentially made with flour, water, and salt.

Again, spot-on!

> Here are some things you can do with sourdough:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2564880...7614640840416/

Well done, grasshopper...(:-o)!

Dusty

This is crazy :D [email protected] General Cooking 0 01-05-2008 12:02 AM
They must be mad or Crazy [email protected] General Cooking 2 04-05-2007 09:09 PM
Am I crazy? Stark General Cooking 6 14-05-2005 12:33 AM
Bobby and Stephanie ... Nancy Young General Cooking 24 26-02-2005 09:49 PM
Is This Crazy? Alan S Barbecue 24 04-10-2004 05:07 PM