Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Remember when ...

Remember when you used to roar down to the market in
your SUV for a $1 sack of (5 pounds) of flour?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Jul 20, 8:20*am, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
> Remember when you used to roar down to the market in
> your SUV for a $1 sack of (5 pounds) of flour?

Now everyone has received their 'just desserts.' :-))
Dee Dee
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
Remember when you used to roar down to the market in
your SUV for a $1 sack of (5 pounds) of flour?

We don't have an SUV (mostly use a scooter anyway) and can't buy flour in £5
sacks. What's more our petrol or diesel has always been far more expensive
than yours. Petrol is cheaper than diesel at the moment, it's about
£6/gallon. About $12/gallon.

The flour I buy is about £1/kilo but it varies from much cheaper than that
to a bit more.

You've always had it too good :-)

Mary

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:20:47 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
wrote:

>Remember when you used to roar down to the market in
>your SUV for a $1 sack of (5 pounds) of flour?

No, never owned an SUV. I'm not even sure I know what an SUV is. But
I do remember roaring down the local Mom&Pop grocery store in my '59
Plymouth, burning $0.30 per gallon gasoline, to buy a $0.45 - 5lb bag
of flour and complaining that hamburger was up to $0.25 per pound.

Jack
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

And I remember my dad complaining bitterly about the Flying A station
charing $0.31 per gallon of gas, claiming it was highway robbery -- and
when he came home from work once a few years after telling us an
apparently true story of a few gas stations in the southwest having a
gas war and they got down to something like 8 cents a gallon.

Retired VIP wrote:

> No, never owned an SUV. I'm not even sure I know what an SUV is. But
> I do remember roaring down the local Mom&Pop grocery store in my '59
> Plymouth, burning $0.30 per gallon gasoline, to buy a $0.45 - 5lb bag
> of flour and complaining that hamburger was up to $0.25 per pound.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Jul 20, 7:20 am, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
> Remember when you used to roar down to the market in
> your SUV for a $1 sack of (5 pounds) of flour?

<sigh>

Dickie... RFS has gone to join the good things in Ray Bradbury world.
The aunties, the dandelions, the time machine. But... the old threads
haven't gone away.

The words of the departed still respond to search strings.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message ...
> On Jul 20, 7:20 am, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
> > Remember when you used to roar down to the market in
> > your SUV for a $1 sack of (5 pounds) of flour?

> <sigh>
>
> Dickie... RFS has gone to join the good things in Ray Bradbury world.
> The aunties, the dandelions, the time machine. But... the old threads
> haven't gone away.
>
> The words of the departed still respond to search strings.

Yep. And Carl's starter lives on.
www.carlsfriends.org