Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you remember.....

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
a VERY LUCKY "old" American

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BigBadBubbas" > wrote in message
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>
> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes
> me a VERY LUCKY "old" American

Gah! That music made me wish I was hard of hearing! And my daughter
cranked my speaker up as well.

I do remember some of those things but only some. I guess I'm not that old.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:09:49 -0500, "BigBadBubbas"
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>>
>>I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes
>>me
>>a VERY LUCKY "old" American

> Nope, DON'T remember most of those.
>
> I'm OLD ENOUGH to have such memories, IF those events were accurate.
>
> They aren't.

We ate out a lot. My dad who is obviously older than me ate out a lot. His
dad died when he was 8. My grandma went to work and wasn't home to cook
dinner. My husband's one grandma (older than my dad) didn't like to cook
so she took the kids out to dinner. In her later years she didn't even have
to do that! The local restaurants used to send people out to bring her
food. They didn't even charge her for it. She was well liked in the
community.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BigBadBubbas" > wrote:

>http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

Warning-- quickly scroll down to the bottom and turn that damned
'music' off.

>I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>a VERY LUCKY "old" American

"When a 55 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, "

In 65 or so a friend was given a 55 for his birthday. He was
devastated-- he knew he was getting a car, but he expected a *new*
car. He got over it. 20 years or so ago he gave it to his son,
who is now cleaning it up to pass on to his son.

"Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a ...""

That tradition is still alive and well in our circle-

Was 'Nellie Bell' Roy's Jeep? Didn't they have a sidekick, too?

I don't remember newsreels before movies-- but I remember that 101
Dalmations [1961] was my first movie.

My parents still have the same TWilight 5 number-- but there aren't 8
people on the line any more.<g>

I sold penny candy in my store 1976-1980.
We had some jiffy-pop a couple summers ago. Still a great idea-- and
still lousy popcorn.<g>

"Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot? "
Or a jacknife- I've paid for that sin.

Cool stuff-
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/03/2011 11:59 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

> Warning-- quickly scroll down to the bottom and turn that damned
> 'music' off.
>

>> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

Some of the items were things applicable only to Americans.

> "When a 55 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
> peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, "

Single spinner Fords were a popular item here in Aus.

> In 65 or so a friend was given a 55 for his birthday. He was
> devastated-- he knew he was getting a car, but he expected a *new*

We were never "given" a car. We had to work until we had saved enough to
buy our own.

> car. He got over it. 20 years or so ago he gave it to his son,
> who is now cleaning it up to pass on to his son.

Sounds like the magic worked on him!

> "Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
> and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a ...""
>
> That tradition is still alive and well in our circle-
>
> Was 'Nellie Bell' Roy's Jeep? Didn't they have a sidekick, too?
>
> I don't remember newsreels before movies-- but I remember that 101
> Dalmations [1961] was my first movie.

Yep, remember newsreels!. The double feature put paid to them.

I was into cars and women on the 60's so I missed the 101 Dalmations.
Might have watched it on TV in later years however.

> My parents still have the same TWilight 5 number-- but there aren't 8
> people on the line any more.<g>

Only the people out in the country had party lines. We cityfolk had our
own numbers, those of us who had phones that is...

> I sold penny candy in my store 1976-1980.

Used to get a lot of candy for a penny when I was a lad! That was the
forties however.

> We had some jiffy-pop a couple summers ago. Still a great idea-- and
> still lousy popcorn.<g>
>
> "Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?"
> Or a jacknife- I've paid for that sin.

I remember a lot of us having a small knife of some sort but we NEVER
EVER thought of them as weapons. Had a little folder on my locker key
chain and never had a problem with it.

Peashooters were cool. Got the teacher in the forehead once... and he
got me with the cane!

> Cool stuff-
> Jim

Indeed!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-11, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> "When a 55 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
> peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, "

It wasn't mine. I had a friend with a stock '55 Chevy. Rode like a
truck. I'd much rather have my '62 Impala or even "60 Chevy P/U.

I liked the one:
"All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had
their hair done every day and wore high heels?"

When I was going to college part time, had an old-school lady teacher.
She always wore tight blouses with open callar w/ necklace and full
skirts to the knees, hose, and high heels. Judging by her face and
neck, she was in her late 40s or early 50s (sun damage). Judging by
her legs, she was a hot 20-something. Regardless, she was very
elegant in a casual way and quite sexy.

Anyway, had a classmate who loved music and one day I was at his apt
checking out his monster LP collection (this still in record days). I
was in my mid 30s and he in his early 20s. The subject changed to
school and I asked him what he thought about our teacher, the one I
describe above. He replied, "The one who wears the funny shoes?"

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/03/2011 9:35 AM, Krypsis wrote:

>>> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also
>>> makes me
>>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American
>>>

> Some of the items were things applicable only to Americans.

Which are those? I didn't grow up in the US and I remember all but two.
We didn't lock car doors but keys were not usually left. Pure bred
dogs were more common than mutts in my neighbourhood. Farm dogs were
often mutts, but the local pets..... all pure bred.

>> "When a 55 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
>> peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, "

> Single spinner Fords were a popular item here in Aus.

There was always Ford fans and GM fans. Maybe they should have asked
about DeSotos and Studebakers.

>> In 65 or so a friend was given a 55 for his birthday. He was
>> devastated-- he knew he was getting a car, but he expected a *new*

> We were never "given" a car. We had to work until we had saved enough to
> buy our own.

I knew people who were given cars. I had to buy mine.

>> I don't remember newsreels before movies-- but I remember that 101
>> Dalmations [1961] was my first movie.

> Yep, remember newsreels!. The double feature put paid to them.

I remember them too. They were black and white, as were most of the
movies. Colour was still a big deal in movies, and there were darned few
colour TVs, and mot much tv programming in colour.

>> My parents still have the same TWilight 5 number-- but there aren't 8
>> people on the line any more.<g>

> Only the people out in the country had party lines. We cityfolk had our
> own numbers, those of us who had phones that is...

I had grown up in a small town and we had a party line. It was a PITA.
We finally got a private line around 1960. When we moved to a city in
1964 there was no problem getting a private line, but when I moved to
this rural property in 1977 I had to fight like hell for a private line.

>> "Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?"
>> Or a jacknife- I've paid for that sin.

> I remember a lot of us having a small knife of some sort but we NEVER
> EVER thought of them as weapons. Had a little folder on my locker key
> chain and never had a problem with it.

We had a Trap and Skeet club at our high and once a week we took our
shotguns to school. They had to be left in our lockers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Krypsis wrote:
>
>>> "Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?"
>>> Or a jacknife- I've paid for that sin.

>> I remember a lot of us having a small knife of some sort but we NEVER
>> EVER thought of them as weapons. Had a little folder on my locker key
>> chain and never had a problem with it.

> We had a Trap and Skeet club at our high and once a week we took our
> shotguns to school. They had to be left in our lockers.

At my high school there was a rifle club and a varsity rifle team. Same
deal, different type of long gun. Had I known what would happen over
the years with attitudes towards guns I would have switched from the
rifle club to the rifle team and lettered in it. A letterman jacket in
rifle would make a fun museum piece today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-11, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>> We had a Trap and Skeet club at our high and once a week we took our
>> shotguns to school. They had to be left in our lockers.

> At my high school there was a rifle club and a varsity rifle team. Same
> deal, different type of long gun. Had I known what would happen over
> the years with attitudes towards guns I would have switched from the
> rifle club to the rifle team and lettered in it. A letterman jacket in
> rifle would make a fun museum piece today.

Back in the 60s, I attended HS as senior in rural E WA state, a major
migratory flyway. It was common to see the Jr and Sr students come to
class in their hunting clothes after hunting before school. They all
left their shotguns in their vehicle gun racks. No biggie.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 12:09 AM, BigBadBubbas wrote:
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>
> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

Thanks for the trip back in time. I remember all of it. I know that I am
old. I get on Medicare in August.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 10:09*pm, "BigBadBubbas" > wrote:
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>
> I remember *most* of this. *I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

They left out the constant threat of imminent nuclear holocaust. I
don't think my folks ever threw out their home fallout shelter manual.

We lived in a new subdivision. To get anywhere but church, my mom
drove her '56 Chevy. The only radio "shows" we listened to were soap
operas and Art Linkletter.

Speaking of Nelliebelle, who remembers Jingles?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 1:09*am, "BigBadBubbas" > wrote:
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

> I remember *most* of this. *I guess that makes me OLD, but it also me
> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

All very clear in m memory - but we NEVER left keys in the ignition
and we still locked the doors at night or when no one was home.
Parents were very cautious people.
I remember cigs 25 cents in a vending machine, with two pennies taped
to the pack as yer change.

We even had a wind up 78 record player. 45s were a great new
invention.

First tv was a 12 incher.

Had a car with a bumper guard - a whole xtra 28 dollars for it.

Kids could actually read, write and spell, could even read music.
Could recite "If" and write it out with correct punctuation too.

Brownie and Girl Scout dues were a dollar a year, then a dime a
meeting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 3:57*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Mar 10, 10:09*pm, "BigBadBubbas" > wrote:
>
> >http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

> > I remember *most* of this. *I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
> > a VERY LUCKY "old" American

> They left out the constant threat of imminent nuclear holocaust. I
> don't think my folks ever threw out their home fallout shelter manual.
>
> We lived in a new subdivision. To get anywhere but church, my mom
> drove her '56 Chevy. The only radio "shows" we listened to were soap
> operas and Art Linkletter.
>
> Speaking of Nelliebelle, who remembers Jingles?

Dog was 'Bullet" - a German Shep I think. Dale rode on Buttercup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 12:45*am, HumBug! > wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:09:49 -0500, "BigBadBubbas"
>
> > wrote:
> >http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

> >I remember *most* of this. *I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
> >a VERY LUCKY "old" American

> Nope, DON'T remember most of those.
>
> I'm OLD ENOUGH to have such memories, IF those events were accurate.
>
> They aren't.

The things on the list are very accurate, in my world. You must be
from somewhere else. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BigBadBubbas wrote:

> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>
> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

I remember most of it. I was in kindergarden when Kennedy was shot.

My older silbings remember Howdy Doody on TV. I only remember Captain
Kangeroo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Thanks for the trip back in time. I remember all of it. I know that I am
> old. I get on Medicare in August.

Congratulations, old gal. I start receiving Medicare in September. I'm
paying $720 per month for insurance for myself, and it's going up big
time in April. It'll go way way down starting September first.

Lifetime milestones:

Could drive at sixteen.
Could vote and drink at twenty-one
Car insurance rates went down at twenty-five
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
Got Social Security at sixty-two
Get Medicare at sixty-five.
Um... That's all folks!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 2:57 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Mar 10, 10:09 pm, > wrote:
>> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>>
>> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

> They left out the constant threat of imminent nuclear holocaust. I
> don't think my folks ever threw out their home fallout shelter manual.
>
> We lived in a new subdivision. To get anywhere but church, my mom
> drove her '56 Chevy. The only radio "shows" we listened to were soap
> operas and Art Linkletter.
>
> Speaking of Nelliebelle, who remembers Jingles?

Wasn't he Andy Divine?

My mother listened to the soap operas, too. My little sister's first
words were "wisping steets" She was trying to say "Whispering Streets"
the name of one the soap operas.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 3:50 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> BigBadBubbas wrote:
>>
>> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>>
>> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

> I remember most of it. I was in kindergarden when Kennedy was shot.

I was a Senior in high school.

> My older silbings remember Howdy Doody on TV. I only remember Captain
> Kangeroo.

I remember Howdy Doody very well. Captain Kangaroo started when I was
already in school. My little sister watched it. I couldn't figure out
who "Mr. Creamcheese" was until I was home sick one day and discovered
that he was "Mr. Greenjeans"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 6:40 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In raweb.com>,
> Janet > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the trip back in time. I remember all of it. I know that I am
>> old. I get on Medicare in August.

> Congratulations, old gal. I start receiving Medicare in September. I'm
> paying $720 per month for insurance for myself, and it's going up big
> time in April. It'll go way way down starting September first.
>
> Lifetime milestones:
>
> Could drive at sixteen.
> Could vote and drink at twenty-one
> Car insurance rates went down at twenty-five
> tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
> Got Social Security at sixty-two
> Get Medicare at sixty-five.
> Um... That's all folks!
>
> leo

Leo, we are the first crop of Baby Boomers. 1946 was a vintage year! I,
too, chose to get my Social Security at 62. Very proud of getting it on
my own account, not hubby's. I think it's incredible that the Federal
government will give me all that money for doing f--n nothing and when I
was actually being a productive worker, I had to pay them.

I lived in New Jersey and we couldn't even apply for a learner's permit
until we were 17. I think that has changed with Driver's Ed.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Every time i see this thread i think of the Michael Jackson song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiFF0gvqcc
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 2:42 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Mar 11, 12:45 am, > wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:09:49 -0500, "BigBadBubbas"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html

>>> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

>> Nope, DON'T remember most of those.
>>
>> I'm OLD ENOUGH to have such memories, IF those events were accurate.
>>
>> They aren't.

> The things on the list are very accurate, in my world. You must be
> from somewhere else. ;-)
>
> N.

I remember most of them, too. I also remember gas wars on the Berlin
Tpke in Connecticut when gas got down to 16 cents a gallon.

Ice cream comes were a dime and hot fudge sundaes were a quarter.

Bath soap was a nickel, Wonder Bread was a dime a loaf, Campbell's Soup
started at 7 cents a can depending on the variety, Rice Krispies were 17
cents for the box. Ground round was 69cents/lb. My parents owned a
neighborhood grocery store from 1947-65 and I remember the prices well
because I often helped during the summer and marked the prices on things
with a black wax mechanical marker before they bought a price stamper.

There was a bad crop year for potatoes and they went from 5 cents a
pound to 7 or 8 cents and a young customer was heard to ask his mother
"Why don't we buy potatoes any more." She explained about the price
increase and he replied "Are we POOR?"

There were quite a few Scandinavian commercial fishermen in the
neighborhood and they occasionally traded lobster or scallops for a
reduction to their weekly grocery bill. (Many families kept a running
account that they paid weekly on Friday or Saturday.)

Of course hourly minimum wage was $1 or $1.25, can't remember which,
and the cotton and woolen weaving mills in town were the biggest
employers. There weren't many wealthy people around other than doctors
and lawyers.

Times were very different.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote

> Congratulations, old gal. I start receiving Medicare in September. I'm
> paying $720 per month for insurance for myself, and it's going up big
> time in April. It'll go way way down starting September first.

Even with a top of the line supplement it will be a bargain by comparison.
Pretty soon you'll be getting all sorts of advertising in the mail trying to
see you supplements. Be sure to check out AARP for rates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Leo, we are the first crop of Baby Boomers. 1946 was a vintage year! I,
> too, chose to get my Social Security at 62. Very proud of getting it on
> my own account, not hubby's. I think it's incredible that the Federal
> government will give me all that money for doing f--n nothing and when I
> was actually being a productive worker, I had to pay them.

There's good news for me Janet. Because of Ed Pawlowski downthread, I
skimmed a bit of my AARP "Approaching Medicare" brochure for the first
time. I was born in August of '46, and I assumed I would start coverage
in September. I was wrong. The year was great. Our month was special ;-)
Thanks Ed!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2011 2:18 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Some of the items were things applicable only to Americans.
>>

> Which are those? I didn't grow up in the US and I remember all but two.
> We didn't lock car doors but keys were not usually left. Pure bred dogs
> were more common than mutts in my neighbourhood. Farm dogs were often
> mutts, but the local pets..... all pure bred.

Well, for starters, the girls all looked good in their gym uniforms...

I never received an allowance nor did any of my friends. Any money we
had was earned at after school jobs or paper rounds.

Purebred dogs were as common as the mutts. We had Cocker Spaniels.

Didn't get trading stamped when we fueled up the car.
Vaguely recall one place trying it out but it didn't catch on.

No baseball games here, just Aussie rules football and cricket.

The only ones doing any bowling were the oldies at the lawn bowls. We
never wanted to get that old! Still don't play lawn bowls even though I
am now that age! ;-)

Never had the wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
Nor did we have Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum. Do remember
Spearmint though!

Milk wasn't delivered in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers. It was
ladled out of a churn into containers we had left out on our porch. That
happened every day! The milk always had a layer of cream on top.

Don't recall telephone numbers with a word prefix. They might have been
there but no one I knew ever used them. We didn't have a phone with
letters on the dialler.

The first drive-in came to Australia in 1954. We still have three
operating drive-ins here in this state. We can still live the experience!
http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au...alian/vic1.htm

No idea what a Lincoln Log is.

15 cent McDonald hamburgers weren't an issue for me as the first
McDonalds opened in Sydney, Australia in 1971. Can't recall when the
first opened here in Melbourne but, by then, I was in my mid thirties
and spending way too much time overseas.

"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense? Not to me it doesn't.

We paid for fuel in Australian Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Decimal
currency didn't arrive in this country until 14 February, 1966.

Never heard of the term "double-dog-dare". Double dare, yes, had that!

<snip>

krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BigBadBubbas" > wrote in message
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>
> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes
> me a VERY LUCKY "old" American

Oh!! Yess...at least most of them....Sharon in Canada

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBubbas View Post
Message

I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
a VERY LUCKY "old" American
i think so.. congrats to you.. very LUCKY
__________________
easy recipes
Senior Member

Location: WI
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypsis View Post
[...]

Drive-ins Downunder - Australian Drive-ins

No idea what a Lincoln Log is.

15 cent McDonald hamburgers weren't an issue for me as the first
McDonalds opened in Sydney, Australia in 1971. Can't recall when the
first opened here in Melbourne but, by then, I was in my mid thirties
and spending way too much time overseas.

"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense? Not to me it doesn't.

We paid for fuel in Australian Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Decimal
currency didn't arrive in this country until 14 February, 1966.

Never heard of the term "double-dog-dare". Double dare, yes, had that!

snip

krypsis
Jeeeez, did you grow up in Australia or something? :O

I'm sure you have many more memories that wouldn't ring any bells with us yanks. (I don't classify myself as "Yankee" though.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 5:40 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Lifetime milestones:
>
> Could drive at sixteen.
> Could vote and drink at twenty-one
> Car insurance rates went down at twenty-five
> tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
> Got Social Security at sixty-two
> Get Medicare at sixty-five.
> Um... That's all folks!
>
> leo

Holy cow, that's 40 years in between with no milestones?
What are you, Rip VanWinkle?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/03/2011 1:09 AM, Gorio wrote:
> [...]
>> (http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au...alian/vic1.htm)
>>
>> No idea what a Lincoln Log is.
>>
>> 15 cent McDonald hamburgers weren't an issue for me as the first
>> McDonalds opened in Sydney, Australia in 1971. Can't recall when the
>> first opened here in Melbourne but, by then, I was in my mid thirties
>> and spending way too much time overseas.
>>
>> "Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense? Not to me it doesn't.
>>
>> We paid for fuel in Australian Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Decimal
>> currency didn't arrive in this country until 14 February, 1966.
>>
>> Never heard of the term "double-dog-dare". Double dare, yes, had that!
>>

>> snip
>>
>> krypsis

> Jeeeez, did you grow up in Australia or something? :O
>
> I'm sure you have many more memories that wouldn't ring any bells with
> us yanks. (I don't classify myself as "Yankee" though.)

Yes and yes. Whilst growing up here in Australia provided similarities,
it also threw in a lot of differences.

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 11, 10:07*pm, Leonard Blaisdell >
wrote:
> In article om>,
> *Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > Leo, we are the first crop of Baby Boomers. 1946 was a vintage year! I,
> > too, chose to get my Social Security at 62. Very proud of getting it on
> > my own account, not hubby's. *I *think it's incredible that the Federal
> > government will give me all that money for doing f--n nothing and when I
> > was actually being a productive worker, I had to pay them.

> There's good news for me Janet. Because of Ed Pawlowski downthread, I
> skimmed a bit of my AARP "Approaching Medicare" brochure for the first
> time. I was born in August of '46, and I assumed I would start coverage
> in September. I was wrong. The year was great. Our month was special ;-)
> Thanks Ed!
>
> leo

Ha! I also was born in August of '46. Ain't we special
though !!! ;-) I remember all those things.
I had a 55 Black and White Chevy in high school. Stick shift.
Glad I learned to drive on a stick shift because it's easy to drive
anything that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2011 12:07 AM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In raweb.com>,
> Janet > wrote:
>
>> Leo, we are the first crop of Baby Boomers. 1946 was a vintage year! I,
>> too, chose to get my Social Security at 62. Very proud of getting it on
>> my own account, not hubby's. I think it's incredible that the Federal
>> government will give me all that money for doing f--n nothing and when I
>> was actually being a productive worker, I had to pay them.

> There's good news for me Janet. Because of Ed Pawlowski downthread, I
> skimmed a bit of my AARP "Approaching Medicare" brochure for the first
> time. I was born in August of '46, and I assumed I would start coverage
> in September. I was wrong. The year was great. Our month was special ;-)
> Thanks Ed!
>
> leo

Thanks, Ed. I'm August, 1946, too. 13th. What day are you?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2011 3:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Mar 11, 10:07 pm, Leonard >
> wrote:
>> In raweb.com>,
>> Janet > wrote:
>>
>>> Leo, we are the first crop of Baby Boomers. 1946 was a vintage year! I,
>>> too, chose to get my Social Security at 62. Very proud of getting it on
>>> my own account, not hubby's. I think it's incredible that the Federal
>>> government will give me all that money for doing f--n nothing and when I
>>> was actually being a productive worker, I had to pay them.

>> There's good news for me Janet. Because of Ed Pawlowski downthread, I
>> skimmed a bit of my AARP "Approaching Medicare" brochure for the first
>> time. I was born in August of '46, and I assumed I would start coverage
>> in September. I was wrong. The year was great. Our month was special ;-)
>> Thanks Ed!
>>
>> leo

> Ha! I also was born in August of '46. Ain't we special
> though !!! ;-) I remember all those things.
> I had a 55 Black and White Chevy in high school. Stick shift.
> Glad I learned to drive on a stick shift because it's easy to drive
> anything that way.

That makes 3 of us! The daddies came home after VJ Day and it took 3
months to muster out and make babies.

My mom told me that there were women laboring in beds in the hallways of
the brand new maternity hospital in Brooklyn where I was born.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2011 7:22 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> That makes 3 of us! The daddies came home after VJ Day and it took 3
> months to muster out and make babies.
>
> My mom told me that there were women laboring in beds in the hallways of
> the brand new maternity hospital in Brooklyn where I was born.

My family doesn't fit the profile completely. My father flew 19 missions
over Europe and was shot down over occupied Denmark and escaped with the
help of the Resistance. As a result of his time with the Resistance,
he was not allowed to fly on operations anymore. He was sent back to
Canada as a flight instructore. They married in June i944 and oldest
brother was born two days before VJ Day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:44:22 -0600, Janet Wilder
> arranged random neurons and said:

>Nellie Bell was the Jeep. Pat Butram (sp) was the side-kick. I was a
>really, really big Roy Rogers fan when I was a little girl. I had a huge
>crush on him.

I was big on "Sky King," because that was the *only* show on TV in
those days that showed a girl doing anything other than passive girlie
stuff.

My mother once told me she had a crush on Gene Autry as a girl until
she found out he wore a girdle <g>

OB: Bought a Honeybaked Ham bone last week to make navy bean soup and
there was enough meat on the bone to make 2 sandwiches - two *fat*
sandwiches, at that.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:57:31 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> arranged random neurons and said:

>On Mar 10, 10:09*pm, "BigBadBubbas" > wrote:
>> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>>
>> I remember *most* of this. *I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

>They left out the constant threat of imminent nuclear holocaust. I
>don't think my folks ever threw out their home fallout shelter manual.

I spent most of my growing up years within a rock's throw of bombers
that carried nuclear payloads. We were very conscious of the fact that
the nasty old Russkies had a big "X" drawn over our heads. Someone
once snarkily asked my father if, as a bomber pilot, he wasn't
pro-war. His answer was, "Nobody's pro-war when you have a nuclear
weapon strapped to your *ss."

OB: Unlike other disaster preparations, stocking food stuffs wasn't on
the list of things to do at our house. By the time the balloon went
up, your interest in food or anything else would cease.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 12, 4:54*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:44:22 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >Nellie Bell was the Jeep. Pat Butram (sp) was the side-kick. *I was a
> >really, really big Roy Rogers fan when I was a little girl. I had a huge
> >crush on him.

> I was big on "Sky King," because that was the *only* show on TV in
> those days that showed a girl doing anything other than passive girlie
> stuff.
>
> My mother once told me she had a crush on Gene Autry as a girl until
> she found out he wore a girdle <g>
>
> OB: Bought a Honeybaked Ham bone last week to make navy bean soup and
> there was enough meat on the bone to make 2 sandwiches - two *fat*
> sandwiches, at that.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

where do you get a honeybaked ham bone????? do they sell just the
ham bones in those stores????
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2011 5:54 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> OB: Bought a Honeybaked Ham bone last week to make navy bean soup and
> there was enough meat on the bone to make 2 sandwiches - two *fat*
> sandwiches, at that.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --

I have asked about buying the bones at two local Honeybaked stores and
both times they looked at me as though I had sprouted an extra cranium.

"We don't EVER do that." was the reply.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2011 8:06 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 3/11/2011 3:50 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> BigBadBubbas wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>>>
>>> I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also
>>> makes me
>>> a VERY LUCKY "old" American

>> I remember most of it. I was in kindergarden when Kennedy was shot.

> I was a Senior in high school.

I had just turned 1, so I don't remember that, but I do remember more
than 50% of what was in the link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was born in 1964, but remember a lot of these things. I also
remember when I was a kid in the summer, Mom would tell us to make
sure we were home by 6 for supper, and we would be gone all day,
playing ball or riding bikes or building forts in the woods or hanging
out at the Boy's Club or library. We used to play baseball or
kickball on the streets, where a car bumper might be first base, and a
manhole cover second base; if you play ball out on the street today
somebody will call the cops on you.

BTW, they still make candy cigarettes and those little wax soda
bottles. They make wax lips too, remember those?. I remember the gum
cigarettes with the wax wrapping over them to look like a cigarette,
and there was cinnamon in the business end and if you blew hard on it,
a small puff of smoke would come out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:09:49 -0500, "BigBadBubbas"
> wrote:

>http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
>
>I remember *most* of this. I guess that makes me OLD, but it also makes me
>a VERY LUCKY "old" American

I remember a lot of that stuff too. It's fun to remember. But there
were a lot of less gooder stuff too.

The gas wars drove the price down to 27 cents/gal around 1970 in
central PA. Even so, we generally get more miles per
(adjusted-for-inflation) dollar today than we got back then.

The old Pontiac's 283 V-8 engine delivered fewer horsepower than a
well-constructed 4-cylinder today. And if you got 100K miles from a
car, you were doing very well.

I didn't care for the 1970 model outhouse we used, but you do what you
gotta do.

To play music at parties my sister would bring her scratchy portable
record player and a huge stack of scratchy 45s (69 cents each in 1970
money). Today you can bring thirty times as much music (99 cents per
song in 2011 dollars) on a device the size of a matchbox.

Typed a 105-page MS thesis on a typewriter in 1980. Fixing all the
mistakes and retyping some pages. And did it three times. Today...
word processor.

Books and magazines printed with huge amounts of color and beautifully
sharp and clear.

Air conditioning! (Yes, it was available back then but most people
used fans.)

When the wife was in school, one of the assignments was to tell during
what time she'd like to have lived. She said "today". She may not
have done well on the assignment but she's a smart gal.
--
Best -- Terry