Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Soudough Bagels

I tried my hand at sourdough bagels this weekend.

It has been a long time since I made bagels and my first time with a
sourdough base. I was teaching my daughter how to hand roll them
and we had some fun, although I cannot heap any praise upon
myself or on my teachings as the holes disappeared in most of these.
Once they decided to rise, they REALLY poofed up.

Nevertheless, the crust is really great, nice and blistery and very
inviting.

I took this basis of this recipe from a posting on The Fresh Loaf. I
changed the following:

- used diastatic malt powder instead of malt syrup (not having any
syrup around), and

- more malt powder in the boiling water instead of the baking soda
called for.

-OH...I did use the clear flour called for, but not the Sir Galahad
high gluten...I used my favorite AP, Hecker's.

-I used the Electrolux for kneading, after allowing about 20 minutes
for an autolyse after first mixing the ingredients.

-What this should tell you is that the recipe is quite flexible, so
dive in and don't sweat the small stuff.

Although I thought the sourdough bagels sitting in the fridge would be
ready for boiling and baking after 8 hours in the fridge, I decided to
let them go until the next morning, then I allowed them to sit on the
counter for a good 2-3 hours until they rose enough to where I was
happy with them.

If you do use this recipe, read it through carefully. I must say that
I used instinct and some previous experience to dance around the
instructions a bit and stick to methods I prefer (again, a
commendation to the recipe's basic strength), but I think most will be
able to get a great result with the recipe and ingredients as it is
written. The recipe indicates it was adapted from one of Nancy
Silverton's.

Link provided below:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/363...gels-revisited

And of course, the obligatory links to photos.

http://i19.tinypic.com/6nvg45e.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/7whvs06.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/6yfnejr.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/6teehq9.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/85p2izc.jpg

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
> I tried my hand at sourdough bagels this weekend.
>
> It has been a long time since I made bagels and my first time with a
> sourdough base. I was teaching my daughter how to hand roll them
> and we had some fun, although I cannot heap any praise upon
> myself or on my teachings as the holes disappeared in most of these.

You may have made "bialys," then. Not an issue.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:16:55 -0800, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> I tried my hand at sourdough bagels this weekend.
>>
>> It has been a long time since I made bagels and my first time with a
>> sourdough base. I was teaching my daughter how to hand roll them
>> and we had some fun, although I cannot heap any praise upon
>> myself or on my teachings as the holes disappeared in most of these.

>You may have made "bialys," then. Not an issue.
>
>B/

Nope, here are the bialys I made the day before.

The bialys, though, do not have a sourdough base, the dough is quite
different in feel, the flours are different, as is the crust and the
interior crumb, and of course, no boiling.

They are both round, though.

http://i10.tinypic.com/85f5iy8.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/7wyikd4.jpg

boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:16:55 -0800, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> I tried my hand at sourdough bagels this weekend.
>>
>> It has been a long time since I made bagels and my first time with a
>> sourdough base. I was teaching my daughter how to hand roll them
>> and we had some fun, although I cannot heap any praise upon
>> myself or on my teachings as the holes disappeared in most of these.

>You may have made "bialys," then. Not an issue.
>
>B/

Howdy,

Bialys are not boiled, are they?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:28:38 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:16:55 -0800, Brian Mailman
> wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> I tried my hand at sourdough bagels this weekend.
>>>
>>> It has been a long time since I made bagels and my first time with a
>>> sourdough base. I was teaching my daughter how to hand roll them
>>> and we had some fun, although I cannot heap any praise upon
>>> myself or on my teachings as the holes disappeared in most of these.

>>You may have made "bialys," then. Not an issue.
>>
>>B/

>Nope, here are the bialys I made the day before.
>
>The bialys, though, do not have a sourdough base, the dough is quite
>different in feel, the flours are different, as is the crust and the
>interior crumb, and of course, no boiling.
>
>They are both round, though.
>
>http://i10.tinypic.com/85f5iy8.jpg
>
>http://i17.tinypic.com/7wyikd4.jpg
>

>boron

Hi Boron,

Ooops, I had not seen your comments about the boiling when I
posted.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:59:16 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:28:38 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:16:55 -0800, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>>>You may have made "bialys," then. Not an issue.
>>>
>>>B/

>>Nope, here are the bialys I made the day before.
>>
>>The bialys, though, do not have a sourdough base, the dough is quite
>>different in feel, the flours are different, as is the crust and the
>>interior crumb, and of course, no boiling.
>>
>>They are both round, though.
>>
>>http://i10.tinypic.com/85f5iy8.jpg
>>
>>http://i17.tinypic.com/7wyikd4.jpg
>>

>>boron

>Hi Boron,
>
>Ooops, I had not seen your comments about the boiling when I
>posted.
>
>All the best,

Not a problem.

I find the two rolls very different in every way but shape and have
different recipes for each.

Barry Harmon has a great bialy recipe up at his site. I used a recipe
that his is based upon, as I was too impatient to use a biga that day.

http://www.bialy-recipe.info/index.htm

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:16:55 -0800, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> I tried my hand at sourdough bagels this weekend.
>>>
>>> It has been a long time since I made bagels and my first time with a
>>> sourdough base. I was teaching my daughter how to hand roll them
>>> and we had some fun, although I cannot heap any praise upon
>>> myself or on my teachings as the holes disappeared in most of these.

>>You may have made "bialys," then. Not an issue.

> Nope, here are the bialys I made the day before.

Very nice.

B/