Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Chemistry Question - Sourdough + Baking Soda = ?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:35:41 EST, wrote:

>(Sorry but my e-mail does not do subscripts)

Hey, mine does: H O
2 <g>

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:35:41 EST, wrote:
>
>>(Sorry but my e-mail does not do subscripts)
>>

> Hey, mine does: H O
> 2 <g>

I type out "HIJKLMNO"
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 18 Dec, 00:45, Joe Umstead > wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:35:41 EST, wrote:

> >>(Sorry but my e-mail does not do subscripts)

> > Hey, mine does: H O
> > 2 <g>

> > All the best,

> No your e-mail does not do subscripts eather.
> You just put the 2 in the next line.
> Subscripts the 2 would be 1/2 line down.
>
> Joe Umstead

Joe, you aren't using your Eini brain. He was joking. That's what <g>
means. May be you should ask God for an update. <g>

Jim

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

TG wrote:

<snip>
>> No your e-mail does not do subscripts eather.
>> You just put the 2 in the next line.
>> Subscripts the 2 would be 1/2 line down.
>>
>> Joe Umstead

> Joe, you aren't using your Eini brain. He was joking. That's what <g>
> means. May be you should ask God for an update. <g>
>
> Jim

O I see, I should have use "<g>" <g>

Joe Umstead

end of file

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 18 Dec, 14:12, Joe Umstead > wrote:
> TG wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> No your e-mail does not do subscripts eather.
> >> You just put the 2 in the next line.
> >> Subscripts the 2 would be 1/2 line down.

> >> Joe Umstead

> > Joe, you aren't using your Eini brain. He was joking. That's what <g>
> > means. May be you should ask God for an update. <g>

> > Jim

> O I see, I should have use "<g>" <g>
>
> Joe Umstead
>
> end of file

Oh, you're trying to tell me you were joking to? lol. That is funny.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> The acid in the batter is reacting with the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate,
> NaHCO3) to liberate carbon dioxide (CO2) gas, The gas causes the froth in
> the batter. (Sorry but my e-mail does not do subscripts)
>
> Resident Conservative Curmudgeon
>
> Ford

Alrighty, that was about what I was looking for - thanks.

Also read the link to the Wiki article.

The pancake batter was just an example Brian, I was more interested in
what types of acids were in it that would be reacting with the soda.
Not an exhaustive topic as you said, just curious if anyone knew.

Sorry about the delay in reply, life has had me by the tail for the
last couple of days. The pancakes I mentioned earlier were brewed by
the gallon this weekend and served as breakfast at work yesterday....

Stacey
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> The pancake batter was just an example Brian,

Whoops, it was Jim who said that.... (still tired) .... sorry.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Stacey wrote:
>> The acid in the batter is reacting with the baking soda (sodium
>> bicarbonate, NaHCO3) to liberate carbon dioxide (CO2) gas, The
>> gas causes the froth in the batter. (Sorry but my e-mail does not
>> do subscripts)
>>
>> Resident Conservative Curmudgeon
>>
>> Ford

> Alrighty, that was about what I was looking for - thanks.
>
> Also read the link to the Wiki article.
>
> The pancake batter was just an example Brian, I was more interested
> in what types of acids were in it that would be reacting with the
> soda.

If you'd asked that, you would have had that answer.

B/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Stacey wrote:
>> The acid in the batter is reacting with the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate,
>> NaHCO3) to liberate carbon dioxide (CO2) gas, The gas causes the froth in
>> the batter. (Sorry but my e-mail does not do subscripts)
>>
>> Resident Conservative Curmudgeon
>>
>> Ford
>>

> Alrighty, that was about what I was looking for - thanks.
>
> Also read the link to the Wiki article.
>
> The pancake batter was just an example Brian, I was more interested in
> what types of acids were in it that would be reacting with the soda.

organic acids, mainly lactic and acetic, ratios depending on flour,
temperature, hydration, stage of fermentation and LB species/strain
maybe malic acid and other's

Sam

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 19 Dec, 05:21, Brian Mailman > wrote:
> If you'd asked that, you would have had that answer.
>
> B/-

You took the wrords right out of my mouth Brian.

Jim