Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default Baking soda question for Banana Bread recipe

Due the number of bananas we have lurking outside on the deck, I've
decided to make several loaves of banana bread for the troops using
the recipe below.

The only ingredient we in doubt of is the baking soda. We have an open
box in the back fridge to absorb smells (melons, fish, etc ... my beer
doesn't smell until after I drink it).

Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?

I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
supermarket.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...nana_bread.php

Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

* 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
* 1/3 cup melted butter
* 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* Pinch of salt
* 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Method

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F
(175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a
large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the
baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last,
mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.
Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> Due the number of bananas we have lurking outside on the deck, I've
> decided to make several loaves of banana bread for the troops using
> the recipe below.
>
> The only ingredient we in doubt of is the baking soda. We have an open
> box in the back fridge to absorb smells (melons, fish, etc ... my beer
> doesn't smell until after I drink it).
>
> Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
> been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?
>
> I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
> supermarket.

<recipe snippage>

If you are leaving the baking soda open in the refrigerator to absorb odors,
would you really want to introduce those absorbed odors into your breads?
Personally, I'd make an extra beer-run into town and pick up a few boxes of
baking soda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob > wrote:

> Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
> been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?
>
> I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
> supermarket.

I've never seen a convenience store that doesn't carry it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco > wrote:

> If you are leaving the baking soda open in the refrigerator to absorb odors,
> would you really want to introduce those absorbed odors into your breads?
> Personally, I'd make an extra beer-run into town and pick up a few boxes of
> baking soda.

Baking soda doesn't absorb odors. That's on of the most successful
marketing lies of the [last] century.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> Due the number of bananas we have lurking outside on the deck, I've
> decided to make several loaves of banana bread for the troops using
> the recipe below.
>
> The only ingredient we in doubt of is the baking soda. We have an open
> box in the back fridge to absorb smells (melons, fish, etc ... my beer
> doesn't smell until after I drink it).
>
> Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
> been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?
>
> I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
> supermarket.

If you are going to make several loaves of banana bread, why risk failure
because the bread didn't rise? That is what will happen if your baking soda
is old or compromised by dampness. I wouldn't want to waste all those
ingredients. Get a new box. Most drug stores and gas station food marts
carry it.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> Due the number of bananas we have lurking outside on the deck, I've
> decided to make several loaves of banana bread for the troops using
> the recipe below.
>
> The only ingredient we in doubt of is the baking soda. We have an open
> box in the back fridge to absorb smells (melons, fish, etc ... my beer
> doesn't smell until after I drink it).
>
> Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
> been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?
>
> I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
> supermarket.
>
> http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...nana_bread.php
>
> Banana Bread Recipe
>
> Ingredients
>
> * 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
> * 1/3 cup melted butter
> * 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
> * 1 egg, beaten
> * 1 teaspoon vanilla
> * 1 teaspoon baking soda
> * Pinch of salt
> * 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
>
> Method
>
> No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F
> (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a
> large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the
> baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last,
> mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.
> Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.
>

> --

Arm and Hammer Baking Soda is sodium bicarbonate and nothing else. It won't
break down. I wouldn't worry about using it.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 12:36*am, bob > wrote:
> Due the number of bananas we have lurking outside on the deck, I've
> decided to make several loaves of banana bread for the troops using
> the recipe below.
>
> The only ingredient we in doubt of is the baking soda. We have an open
> box in the back fridge to absorb smells (melons, fish, etc ... my beer
> doesn't smell until after I drink it).
>
> Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
> been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?
>
> I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
> supermarket.
>
> http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...nana_bread.php
>
> Banana Bread Recipe
>
> Ingredients
>
> * * * 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
> * * * 1/3 cup melted butter
> * * * 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
> * * * 1 egg, beaten
> * * * 1 teaspoon vanilla
> * * * 1 teaspoon baking soda
> * * * Pinch of salt
> * * * 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
>
> Method
>
> No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F
> (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a
> large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the
> baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last,
> mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.
> Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.
>
> --
>
> una cerveza mas por favor ...
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
> Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Baking SODA doesn't expires. Baking POWDER expires.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sun, 3 May 2009 06:14:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>bob > wrote:
>
>> Q: Does baking soda loose it's efficacy as a baking agent when it has
>> been left in a open box in the fridge for several months?
>>
>> I hope not, because we're a good 35 - 45 minute drive from the nearest
>> supermarket.

>I've never seen a convenience store that doesn't carry it.

Good thought. There's one that's only a 15 minute drive from us. Can't
stand the people who own it, so we never stop there. But I can
overcome my dislike long enough to grab an overpriced box of baking
soda.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Paco > wrote:
>
>> If you are leaving the baking soda open in the refrigerator to absorb
>> odors,
>> would you really want to introduce those absorbed odors into your breads?
>> Personally, I'd make an extra beer-run into town and pick up a few boxes
>> of
>> baking soda.

> Baking soda doesn't absorb odors. That's on of the most successful
> marketing lies of the [last] century.
>
> -sw

There you go again! First you cost the fast food industry many multiple
millions of dollars and now you attack the baking soda industry. When will
it all end? When? Just who do you think you are? Bobobananaramabonobo?

(Baking soda does absorb some odors, just not very efficiently; activated
charcoal does a much better job of it. Baking soda helps neutralize odors
caused by acids forming. The best solution is to dedicate the refrigerator
to its primary intended use; keeping beer cold.)

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
> other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
> ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".
>
> -sw

Steve was the third of the so-called three wise men. The other Two, Geoff
and Tim are the two that have been missing for a long time.

That PROVES that you are Steve, not Sam.

Gotcha loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> blake murphy wrote:
> > On Mon, 04 May 2009 07:22:04 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
> >> other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
> >> ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".

> > <ahem> the smartest man on the planet has a usenet presence by proxy:
> > alt.fan.cecil-adams. i don't think cecil himself shows up, but his
> > amanuensis, ed zotti, used to show up from time to time as i recall.

> Well, this is the world according to Jerry Sauk. Jerry thinks the world
> revolves around alt.food.fast-food.

Uh, escuse me, but fast-food sells BILLIONS of dollar's each year... and
everybody needs to eat to survive, so hell yeah fast-food is a extremely
important thing. Not to mention it employs million's of people, especially
in a bad economy, is a major accomplishment.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

Paco wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> Baking soda doesn't absorb odors. That's on of the most successful
>> marketing lies of the [last] century.

> (Baking soda does absorb some odors, just not very efficiently;
> activated charcoal does a much better job of it. Baking soda helps
> neutralize odors caused by acids forming. The best solution is to
> dedicate the refrigerator to its primary intended use; keeping beer cold.)

To be effective at neutralizing odors (not "absorbing"), baking soda would
have to placed directly on the odor itself - usually an acidic substance.
An open box of BS (and that's what it is, pure BS) will do nothing (or
very little) to eliminate orders.

http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".

-sw
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Paco wrote:
>>

>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Baking soda doesn't absorb odors. That's on of the most successful
>>> marketing lies of the [last] century.

>> (Baking soda does absorb some odors, just not very efficiently; activated
>> charcoal does a much better job of it. Baking soda helps neutralize
>> odors caused by acids forming. The best solution is to dedicate the
>> refrigerator to its primary intended use; keeping beer cold.)

> To be effective at neutralizing odors (not "absorbing"), baking soda would
> have to placed directly on the odor itself - usually an acidic substance.
> An open box of BS (and that's what it is, pure BS) will do nothing (or
> very little) to eliminate orders.
>
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Good site. Glad to see you've sobered up.

> This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
> other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
> ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 07:22:04 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Paco wrote:
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Baking soda doesn't absorb odors. That's on of the most successful
>>> marketing lies of the [last] century.

>> (Baking soda does absorb some odors, just not very efficiently;
>> activated charcoal does a much better job of it. Baking soda helps
>> neutralize odors caused by acids forming. The best solution is to
>> dedicate the refrigerator to its primary intended use; keeping beer cold.)

> To be effective at neutralizing odors (not "absorbing"), baking soda would
> have to placed directly on the odor itself - usually an acidic substance.
> An open box of BS (and that's what it is, pure BS) will do nothing (or
> very little) to eliminate orders.
>
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

nice page.

> This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
> other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
> ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".

<ahem> the smartest man on the planet has a usenet presence by proxy:
alt.fan.cecil-adams. i don't think cecil himself shows up, but his
amanuensis, ed zotti, used to show up from time to time as i recall.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> Good site. Glad to see you've sobered up.

<yawn> <plonk>

-sw

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2009 07:22:04 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is why I'm one of the three smartest men on Usenet. And since the
>> other two haven't been seen for almost a year (murdered?), that makes
>> ME #1 according to Jerry - who thinks I'm the elusive "Steve".

> <ahem> the smartest man on the planet has a usenet presence by proxy:
> alt.fan.cecil-adams. i don't think cecil himself shows up, but his
> amanuensis, ed zotti, used to show up from time to time as i recall.

Well, this is the world according to Jerry Sauk. Jerry thinks the world
revolves around alt.food.fast-food. He's thinks Usenet *is*
alt.food.fast.food.

According to him, over 7.2 billion people read AFF-F.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> Good site. Glad to see you've sobered up.

> <yawn> <plonk>

I guess you're not sober yet. I heard your head hit the desk after you
yawned.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"TFM®" > wrote in message
om...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> Good site. Glad to see you've sobered up.

>> <yawn> <plonk>

> I guess you're not sober yet. I heard your head hit the desk after you
> yawned.

Sqwertz is obviously on his period. He needs TP for his bunghole!

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"Cornholio" > wrote in message
om...

> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> om...

>>> <yawn> <plonk>

>> I guess you're not sober yet. I heard your head hit the desk after you
>> yawned.

> Sqwertz is obviously on his period. He needs TP for his bunghole!

Being the famous Shitter engineer Squirtz dont need TP.
He is shitting in tall cotton by now

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 May 2009 01:37:15 -0500, JERRY wrote:

the

> >> Well, this is the world according to Jerry Sauk. Jerry thinks the

world
> >> revolves around alt.food.fast-food.

> > Uh, escuse me, but fast-food sells BILLIONS of dollar's each year...

and
> > everybody needs to eat to survive, so hell yeah fast-food is a

extremely
> > important thing. Not to mention it employs million's of people,

especially
> > in a bad economy, is a major accomplishment.

> jerry, here's a tip: try using no apostrophes for a while. you'll be
> right more often then you are now. at least in terms of orthography.
>
> blake

Fine. Their all optional, anyway. For the most part.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 01:37:15 -0500, JERRY wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> <ahem> the smartest man on the planet has a usenet presence by proxy:
>>> alt.fan.cecil-adams. i don't think cecil himself shows up, but his
>>> amanuensis, ed zotti, used to show up from time to time as i recall.

>> Well, this is the world according to Jerry Sauk. Jerry thinks the world
>> revolves around alt.food.fast-food.

> Uh, escuse me, but fast-food sells BILLIONS of dollar's each year... and
> everybody needs to eat to survive, so hell yeah fast-food is a extremely
> important thing. Not to mention it employs million's of people, especially
> in a bad economy, is a major accomplishment.

jerry, here's a tip: try using no apostrophes for a while. you'll be
right more often then you are now. at least in terms of orthography.

blake
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009 01:37:15 -0500, JERRY wrote:

>>> Well, this is the world according to Jerry Sauk. Jerry thinks the world
>>> revolves around alt.food.fast-food.

>> Uh, escuse me, but fast-food sells BILLIONS of dollar's each year... and
>> everybody needs to eat to survive, so hell yeah fast-food is a extremely
>> important thing. Not to mention it employs million's of people, especially
>> in a bad economy, is a major accomplishment.

> jerry, here's a tip: try using no apostrophes for a while. you'll be
> right more often then you are now. at least in terms of orthography.
>
> blake

Good tip even though he won't get it.

-dk