Right Across Left Hook Combo

Default What is baking soda used for? Difference between baking soda and powder?

Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?
DJS0302

>Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
>recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

Because most people only use a couple of teaspoons of baking soda a year, Arm &
Hammer had to come up with ways to get people to use up their baking soda
faster. First they said to put it in your refrigerator and then when that
didn't increase sales fast enough someone decided to say hey why don't we just
tell everyone to pour the whole box down the drain.
DJS0302

>>Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
>>recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

To answer your question, which I forgot to do in my previous post, baking soda
and baking powder are leavening agents. Baking soda requires some sort of
acidic ingredient for it work. These include sour milk, buttermilk, most
fruits and fruit juices, chocolate, brown sugar. There are others but those are
the most common. Baking powder does not require an acid for it to work since
the acid is already in it.
maxine in ri

DJS0302 wrote:

> >Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
> >recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

> Because most people only use a couple of teaspoons of baking soda a year, Arm &
> Hammer had to come up with ways to get people to use up their baking soda
> faster. First they said to put it in your refrigerator and then when that
> didn't increase sales fast enough someone decided to say hey why don't we just
> tell everyone to pour the whole box down the drain.

No no no. You use the one from the fridge to pour down the drain,
after it no longer absorbs odors in the fridge.

And the dentist was the one who recommended brushing your teeth with
a paste made from baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

maxine in ri
A.T. Hagan

ospam (DJS0302) wrote in message

>> baking soda

>> of

>> most

>> those are

>> since
>> >
>> > Suppose I want to make corn bread. If I'm using two cups of corn meal
>> > mix, how much baking soda and brown sugar should I use?

>> BROWN SUGAR in cornbread????
>>
>> Jim

>Okay, how much brown sugar should be used with what amount of baking
>soda on 4 cups of flour to make bread?

Sugar and brown sugar are unrelated to each other in cornbread unless
you're trying to use the brown sugar as the acid ingredient to make
the baking soda react and leaven the bread. I'd think that would make
for an undesirably sweet bread. I'd suggest using buttermilk, yogurt,
or some such instead of the brown sugar as the acid ingredient.

Personally, I don't put any sugar in my cornbread, nor wheat flour,
but others have different tastes.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

DJS0302

>> AFAIK there is virtually no acid in brown sugar. You can make baking
>> soda fizz by combining with vinegar or lemon juice, and lemon juice or
>> vinegar is used to "sour" milk.

Brown sugar has molasses in it and molasses is acidic.
Mark Thorson

DJS0302 wrote:

> >> AFAIK there is virtually no acid in brown sugar. You can make baking
> >> soda fizz by combining with vinegar or lemon juice, and lemon juice or
> >> vinegar is used to "sour" milk.

> Brown sugar has molasses in it and molasses is acidic.

Wrong. Molasses is a by-product of manufacturing sugar
from sugar beets. Brown sugar can be directly from sugar
cane, or it can be made by applying a syrup from sugar cane
refining to white sugar made from beets. But in neither case
does brown sugar contain molasses.

Molasses is strongly flavored. If brown sugar contained
molasses, you'd be able to taste it.

DJS0302

Default What is baking soda used for? Difference between baking soda and

>Wrong. Molasses is a by-product of manufacturing sugar
>from sugar beets. Brown sugar can be directly from sugar
>cane, or it can be made by applying a syrup from sugar cane
>refining to white sugar made from beets. But in neither case
>does brown sugar contain molasses.
>
>Molasses is strongly flavored. If brown sugar contained
>molasses, you'd be able to taste it.

Sorry but you're the one who's wrong. Molasses is the by-product of sugar
refinement. It doesn't matter if the sugar comes from beets or sugar cane. If
you look in most any cookbook or the dictionary for that matter for the term
"brown sugar" it will tell you that it is granulated sugar mixed with molasses
or in some cases dark sugar syrup. Look at the ingredient list on several
boxes of brown sugar. Also, if you have a cookbook that has a section on
substitutions they will all tell you that brown sugar can be made from adding
molasses to regular granulated sugar.
DJS0302

Adding something to my previous post:
Also some definitions of brown sugar say that it's unrefined or partially
refined sugar. If molasses comes from the refining of raw sugar, wouldn't
logic dictate to you that brown sugar has molasses in it?

Mark Thorson

DJS0302 wrote:

> Sorry but you're the one who's wrong. Molasses is the by-product of sugar
> refinement. It doesn't matter if the sugar comes from beets or sugar cane. If
> you look in most any cookbook or the dictionary for that matter for the term
> "brown sugar" it will tell you that it is granulated sugar mixed with molasses
> or in some cases dark sugar syrup. Look at the ingredient list on several
> boxes of brown sugar. Also, if you have a cookbook that has a section on
> substitutions they will all tell you that brown sugar can be made from adding
> molasses to regular granulated sugar.

Here's the real scoop on brown sugar, as described
in _Beet-Sugar_Technology_ (2nd ed.) edited by R.A. McGinnis
(Beet Sugar Development Foundation, 1971), page 494:

"Brown or Soft Sugars"

"This class of sugar products consists of fine sugars mixed
with brown-colored, pleasantly-flavored syrups. The crystal
size of the sugar is approximately that of Bakers Special.
The term 'soft sugar' really describes the feel of this
product, which is heightened by the presence of the syrup.
It is desirable that the syrup on the sugar base be stable
and not supersaturated, so that on aging there will be no
crystallization."

"There are two basic methods in the manufacture of soft
sugars: the first is to boil from a selected syrup a
massecuite, which on separation in the centrifugal, will
yield a desirable soft sugar without further treatment.
This method, described as the 'in and in method of boiling,'
gets the full range of colors and flavors desired and is
of necessity a product of a cane-sugar refinery."

"The second is to add to a pure, white sugar a treated
syrup, usually of cane origin, in the proper amount to give
a flavor, texture, and color desired by the manufacturer.
Excepting in beet-sugar factories equipped with the ion
exchange process, this method, generally called 'painting,'
appears to be the logical choice for the beet-sugar
manufacturer."

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
<snip>
> "Brown or Soft Sugars"
>
> "This class of sugar products consists of fine sugars mixed
> with brown-colored, pleasantly-flavored syrups. The crystal
> size of the sugar is approximately that of Bakers Special.
> The term 'soft sugar' really describes the feel of this
> product, which is heightened by the presence of the syrup.
> It is desirable that the syrup on the sugar base be stable
> and not supersaturated, so that on aging there will be no
> crystallization."

<snip again>

"Brown sugars" refer to a variety of sugars including turbinado and
demerara. However, if you are speaking of what is commonly known as "brown
sugar" in at least the US and Canada (which is most likely to what the
recipe referred), it has molasses added to it. If you won't believe anyone
here, perhaps you will believe the US Sugar Association's website
http://www.sugar.org/facts/types.html#brown . The dictionary at
www.epicurious.com also states that brown sugar has molasses.

rona

DJS0302

>"Brown or Soft Sugars"
>
>"This class of sugar products consists of fine sugars mixed
>with brown-colored, pleasantly-flavored syrups.

These "pleasantly-flavored syrups" wouldn't happen to be molasses now would
they?

>"The second is to add to a pure, white sugar a treated
>syrup, usually of cane origin, in the proper amount to give
>a flavor, texture, and color desired by the manufacturer.

Once again, this sounds like molasses to me or at least an unrefined form of
molasses.
Kenneth Leja

(A.T. Hagan) wrote in message >...
> On 3 Nov 2003 23:15:37 -0800,
(Right
> Across Left Hook Combo) wrote:
>
> >"James A. Finley" > wrote in message >...
> >> "Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
> >> message om...

> baking soda

> of

> most

> those are

> since

> >> BROWN SUGAR in cornbread????
> >>
> >> Jim

> >Okay, how much brown sugar should be used with what amount of baking
> >soda on 4 cups of flour to make bread?

> Sugar and brown sugar are unrelated to each other in cornbread unless
> you're trying to use the brown sugar as the acid ingredient to make
> the baking soda react and leaven the bread. I'd think that would make
> for an undesirably sweet bread. I'd suggest using buttermilk, yogurt,
> or some such instead of the brown sugar as the acid ingredient.
>
> Personally, I don't put any sugar in my cornbread, nor wheat flour,
> but others have different tastes.
>
> .....Alan.

How much baking soda and yogurt should one mix to 2 cupfuls of cornbread flour?
Frogleg

On 4 Nov 2003 09:29:31 -0800, (Right

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question57.htm

>thanks for the website but it doesn't say how much of each ingredient
>should be used for cooking

Go find a flippin' recipe, f'r heaven's sake! You have access to a
computer. Go to any search engine site and type in

cornbread recipe

and take your pick.

A.T. Hagan

On 4 Nov 2003 22:36:05 -0800, (Kenneth Leja)
wrote:

(A.T. Hagan) wrote in message >...
>> On 3 Nov 2003 23:15:37 -0800,
(Right
>> Across Left Hook Combo) wrote:

>> baking soda

>> of

>> most

>> those are

>> since

>> >Okay, how much brown sugar should be used with what amount of baking
>> >soda on 4 cups of flour to make bread?

>> Sugar and brown sugar are unrelated to each other in cornbread unless
>> you're trying to use the brown sugar as the acid ingredient to make
>> the baking soda react and leaven the bread. I'd think that would make
>> for an undesirably sweet bread. I'd suggest using buttermilk, yogurt,
>> or some such instead of the brown sugar as the acid ingredient.
>>
>> Personally, I don't put any sugar in my cornbread, nor wheat flour,
>> but others have different tastes.
>>
>> .....Alan.

>How much baking soda and yogurt should one mix to 2 cupfuls of cornbread flour?

I don't have an exact recipe using only baking soda and yogurt in corn
bread, but this struck my curiousity so I Googled around a bit looking
at various recipes. From what I found I'd suggest for two cups of
corn meal I'd start with 1.5 teaspoons of soda and a cupe of plain,
unsweetened yogurt.

If you Google on "Cornbread, yogurt, soda" without the parantheses
like I did you'll get a feel for it.

Since we're talking cornbread here this is the recipe I use:

Real cornbread.

3 cups corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil or melted fat
0.5 cup of non-fat dry milk (instant or regular)
2.5 tablespoons whole dry egg (or 1 large fresh egg)
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups boiling water
1 cup room temperature water

Sift all dry ingredients together except the baking powder. Pour the
two cups boiling water and the oil over the dry ingredients, stir
until all ingredients and water are well incorporated and set aside to
cool (about 30-40 minutes). When cool, stir in the baking powder, and
the last cup of water. If using fresh eggs, stir them in now as well.
Mix only until ingredients are combined but don't overmix. Pour into
a well greased nine inch pan or muffin tins. Bake at 425 degrees
Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes and the top is lightly browned. Cooking
time will differ for muffin tins. Eat hot.

Notes: Using the boiling water and waiting until the mixture is cool
is important to get a good texture. If using a fresh egg, reserve
about two tablespoons of the tap water until the other ingredients are
mixed. The recipe won't be hurt any if you put a small amount of sugar
(about a tablespoon or two) into it. The batter should be fairly thick
but pourable. If too thick, add the remaining water.

If you wanted to use baking soda and yogurt here what I'd do is to
eliminate the dry milk and substitute the yogurt. Adjust the final
moisture at the end of the recipe when you'd add the room temperature
water. Substitute about 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda for the baking
powder and proceed from there.

......Alan.