Old 03-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Right Across Left Hook Combo

Default What is baking soda used for? Difference between baking soda and powder?

Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

Old 03-11-2003, 02:32 AM
DJS0302

Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

Because most people only use a couple of teaspoons of baking soda a year, Arm &
Hammer had to come up with ways to get people to use up their baking soda
faster. First they said to put it in your refrigerator and then when that
didn't increase sales fast enough someone decided to say hey why don't we just
tell everyone to pour the whole box down the drain.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 AM
DJS0302

Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

To answer your question, which I forgot to do in my previous post, baking soda
and baking powder are leavening agents. Baking soda requires some sort of
acidic ingredient for it work. These include sour milk, buttermilk, most
fruits and fruit juices, chocolate, brown sugar. There are others but those are
the most common. Baking powder does not require an acid for it to work since
the acid is already in it.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:30 PM
maxine in ri

DJS0302 wrote:

Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

Because most people only use a couple of teaspoons of baking soda a year, Arm &
Hammer had to come up with ways to get people to use up their baking soda
faster. First they said to put it in your refrigerator and then when that
didn't increase sales fast enough someone decided to say hey why don't we just
tell everyone to pour the whole box down the drain.

No no no. You use the one from the fridge to pour down the drain,
after it no longer absorbs odors in the fridge.

And the dentist was the one who recommended brushing your teeth with
a paste made from baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

maxine in ri
Old 04-11-2003, 02:17 PM
A.T. Hagan

On 3 Nov 2003 23:15:37 -0800, (Right
Across Left Hook Combo) wrote:

"James A. Finley" wrote in message ...
"Right Across Left Hook Combo" wrote in
message om...
ospam (DJS0302) wrote in message
Why is baking soda called 'baking' soda when on the box it's
recommended for washing sinks and deodorizing kitty litter box?

To answer your question, which I forgot to do in my previous post,

baking soda
and baking powder are leavening agents. Baking soda requires some sort

of
acidic ingredient for it work. These include sour milk, buttermilk,

most
fruits and fruit juices, chocolate, brown sugar. There are others but

those are
the most common. Baking powder does not require an acid for it to work

since
the acid is already in it.

Suppose I want to make corn bread. If I'm using two cups of corn meal
mix, how much baking soda and brown sugar should I use?

BROWN SUGAR in cornbread????

Jim

Okay, how much brown sugar should be used with what amount of baking
soda on 4 cups of flour to make bread?

Sugar and brown sugar are unrelated to each other in cornbread unless
you're trying to use the brown sugar as the acid ingredient to make
the baking soda react and leaven the bread. I'd think that would make
for an undesirably sweet bread. I'd suggest using buttermilk, yogurt,
or some such instead of the brown sugar as the acid ingredient.

Personally, I don't put any sugar in my cornbread, nor wheat flour,
but others have different tastes.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:27 PM
DJS0302

AFAIK there is virtually no acid in brown sugar. You can make baking
soda fizz by combining with vinegar or lemon juice, and lemon juice or
vinegar is used to "sour" milk.

Brown sugar has molasses in it and molasses is acidic.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Mark Thorson

DJS0302 wrote:

AFAIK there is virtually no acid in brown sugar. You can make baking
soda fizz by combining with vinegar or lemon juice, and lemon juice or
vinegar is used to "sour" milk.

Brown sugar has molasses in it and molasses is acidic.

Wrong. Molasses is a by-product of manufacturing sugar
from sugar beets. Brown sugar can be directly from sugar
cane, or it can be made by applying a syrup from sugar cane
refining to white sugar made from beets. But in neither case
does brown sugar contain molasses.

Molasses is strongly flavored. If brown sugar contained
molasses, you'd be able to taste it.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:24 PM
DJS0302

Default What is baking soda used for? Difference between baking soda and

Wrong. Molasses is a by-product of manufacturing sugar
from sugar beets. Brown sugar can be directly from sugar
cane, or it can be made by applying a syrup from sugar cane
refining to white sugar made from beets. But in neither case
does brown sugar contain molasses.

Molasses is strongly flavored. If brown sugar contained
molasses, you'd be able to taste it.

Sorry but you're the one who's wrong. Molasses is the by-product of sugar
refinement. It doesn't matter if the sugar comes from beets or sugar cane. If
you look in most any cookbook or the dictionary for that matter for the term
"brown sugar" it will tell you that it is granulated sugar mixed with molasses
or in some cases dark sugar syrup. Look at the ingredient list on several
boxes of brown sugar. Also, if you have a cookbook that has a section on
substitutions they will all tell you that brown sugar can be made from adding
molasses to regular granulated sugar.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:47 PM
DJS0302

Adding something to my previous post:
Also some definitions of brown sugar say that it's unrefined or partially
refined sugar. If molasses comes from the refining of raw sugar, wouldn't
logic dictate to you that brown sugar has molasses in it?