Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Odd Bagel Event

I often make bagels using the recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. I
use the sourdough option listed in the box on the side of the page.
They work like a charm and are most delicious.

Until yesterday....

Local stores have stopped carrying my usual brand of bread flour. So, I
picked up a bag of Stone-Burr unbleached bread flour. Dough looked and
felt great. Bagels rose nicely and looked wonderful.

The minute I dropped them into the boiling water they turned Yellow.
Yellow like store bought, artificially colored egg bagels. Yellow like
I had added turmeric or something. Decidedly yellow.

I baked them anyway and they still browned over their yellow surface.
They were glossy and looked nice.

But after they cooled they resembled soft erasers or doggy chew toys
rather than the usual bagels.

Torn open they were still creamy white inside. Crumb looked ok.

We didn't eat them, had we bitten in I suspect we'd still be chewing.

Anyone had this happen? Anyone have any idea why? Should I chalk it up
to the flour and find a different brand?

marcella
perplexed
Dusty

"Marcella Tracy Peek" > wrote in message
> I often make bagels using the recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. I
> use the sourdough option listed in the box on the side of the page.
> They work like a charm and are most delicious.
>
> Until yesterday....
>
> Local stores have stopped carrying my usual brand of bread flour. So, I
> picked up a bag of Stone-Burr unbleached bread flour. Dough looked and
> felt great. Bagels rose nicely and looked wonderful.

Marcella, what was the brand/name of your "usual" flour?

Dusty
San Jose, Ca.
--
Remove STORE to reply

Marcella Tracy Peek

In article >,
"Dusty" > wrote:

> "Marcella Tracy Peek" > wrote in message
> > I often make bagels using the recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. I
> > use the sourdough option listed in the box on the side of the page.
> > They work like a charm and are most delicious.
> >
> > Until yesterday....
> >
> > Local stores have stopped carrying my usual brand of bread flour. So, I
> > picked up a bag of Stone-Burr unbleached bread flour. Dough looked and
> > felt great. Bagels rose nicely and looked wonderful.

> Marcella, what was the brand/name of your "usual" flour?
>
> Dusty
> San Jose, Ca.

Arrowhead mills unbleached white bread flour. I can find other
varieties of that brand, but not the bread flour.

marcella
Brian Mailman

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

> Arrowhead mills unbleached white bread flour. I can find other
> varieties of that brand, but not the bread flour.

Copying and pasting and using all those words and telling webferret to
do a search on "all keywords" I get:

http://www.enkueros.net/enkuerosnet/...ead-mills.html

B/

Best Bagel Ever. j.harmon09 Vegetarian cooking 4 18-07-2011 12:55 AM
Bagel snack Nick Cramer Diabetic 20 11-05-2008 01:59 AM
Bagel Formers Gregg Baking 5 02-02-2005 02:43 AM
Bagel Formers Gregg Baking 0 01-02-2005 02:02 AM
Bagel question JaKe Baking 4 26-11-2003 07:18 AM