Kenneth

Default Pain de Mie...

Howdy,

Here is a technique for a naturally leavened Pain de Mie. It is a
(very) slight modification of the one that I posted a few days ago in
another thread.

Pain de Mie is a rich, white bread with a very fine and uniform crumb.
The crust is paper thin. It is traditionally made in a "Pullman" pan.
These are nearly square in cross section and have a lid that slides on
preventing the dough from rising beyond the square shape of the pan.
The quantities below are for a pan that is 4" x 4" x 16".

This is a two day bread (as I do it).

Day 1: evening. Mix 376g AP flour + 74g starter (I use Poilne 100%) +
344g 2% milk to form a dough. It need not be smooth.

Ferment above 12 hours at 72°F.

Day 2: morning. add to above 240g AP + 10g salt + 40g sugar + 50g
melted butter + 1 egg yolk. Knead fully.

Form loaf. Let it rest a few minutes while coating pan with release.
Press the loaf uniformly into the bottom of the pan trying to get it
into the corners.

Put the lid on the pan, then ferment at 72°F for 5 hours. (Please
note: In my earlier post I had this as 78°F for 3.5 hours which also
works well.)

Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F.

Remove from pan when you take pan from oven. Let the loaf cool on a
rack.

If you don't have a pullman pan I would suggest that you simply watch
the dough as it rises. When it is about 1/2" from the edge of the pan
you are using, put some sort of flat cover on the pan to contain the
rising dough.

I hope that this is of interest, and would, of course be happy to
respond if you have questions, or if I can assist in another way.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Ulrike Westphal

"Kenneth" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Howdy,
>
> Here is a technique for a naturally leavened Pain de Mie. It is a
> (very) slight modification of the one that I posted a few days ago in
> another thread.
>
> Pain de Mie is a rich, white bread with a very fine and uniform crumb.
> The crust is paper thin. It is traditionally made in a "Pullman" pan.
> These are nearly square in cross section and have a lid that slides on
> preventing the dough from rising beyond the square shape of the pan.
> The quantities below are for a pan that is 4" x 4" x 16".
>
> This is a two day bread (as I do it).
>
> Day 1: evening. Mix 376g AP flour + 74g starter (I use Poilne 100%) +
> 344g 2% milk to form a dough. It need not be smooth.
>
> Ferment above 12 hours at 72°F.
>
> Day 2: morning. add to above 240g AP + 10g salt + 40g sugar + 50g
> melted butter + 1 egg yolk. Knead fully.
>
> Form loaf. Let it rest a few minutes while coating pan with release.
> Press the loaf uniformly into the bottom of the pan trying to get it
> into the corners.
>
> Put the lid on the pan, then ferment at 72°F for 5 hours. (Please
> note: In my earlier post I had this as 78°F for 3.5 hours which also
> works well.)
>
> Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F.
>
> Remove from pan when you take pan from oven. Let the loaf cool on a
> rack.
>
> If you don't have a pullman pan I would suggest that you simply watch
> the dough as it rises. When it is about 1/2" from the edge of the pan
> you are using, put some sort of flat cover on the pan to contain the
> rising dough.
>
> I hope that this is of interest, and would, of course be happy to
> respond if you have questions, or if I can assist in another way.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Hello Kenneth,

after the success with your Poilne, I'd like to try the Pain de Mie.
My pans are only 9,8" x 4,7" x 3,7". Do you think, your recipe will work,
if I divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and let them rise in my pans??
Thanks for your assistance

Ulrike

Kenneth

On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:36:47 +0200, "Ulrike Westphal"
> wrote:

>"Kenneth" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Here is a technique for a naturally leavened Pain de Mie. It is a
>> (very) slight modification of the one that I posted a few days ago in
>> another thread.
>>
>> Pain de Mie is a rich, white bread with a very fine and uniform crumb.
>> The crust is paper thin. It is traditionally made in a "Pullman" pan.
>> These are nearly square in cross section and have a lid that slides on
>> preventing the dough from rising beyond the square shape of the pan.
>> The quantities below are for a pan that is 4" x 4" x 16".
>>
>> This is a two day bread (as I do it).
>>
>> Day 1: evening. Mix 376g AP flour + 74g starter (I use Poilne 100%) +
>> 344g 2% milk to form a dough. It need not be smooth.
>>
>> Ferment above 12 hours at 72°F.
>>
>> Day 2: morning. add to above 240g AP + 10g salt + 40g sugar + 50g
>> melted butter + 1 egg yolk. Knead fully.
>>
>> Form loaf. Let it rest a few minutes while coating pan with release.
>> Press the loaf uniformly into the bottom of the pan trying to get it
>> into the corners.
>>
>> Put the lid on the pan, then ferment at 72°F for 5 hours. (Please
>> note: In my earlier post I had this as 78°F for 3.5 hours which also
>> works well.)
>>
>> Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F.
>>
>> Remove from pan when you take pan from oven. Let the loaf cool on a
>> rack.
>>
>> If you don't have a pullman pan I would suggest that you simply watch
>> the dough as it rises. When it is about 1/2" from the edge of the pan
>> you are using, put some sort of flat cover on the pan to contain the
>> rising dough.
>>
>> I hope that this is of interest, and would, of course be happy to
>> respond if you have questions, or if I can assist in another way.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

>Hello Kenneth,
>
>after the success with your Poilne, I'd like to try the Pain de Mie.
>My pans are only 9,8" x 4,7" x 3,7". Do you think, your recipe will work,
>if I divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and let them rise in my pans??
>Thanks for your assistance
>
>Ulrike

Hi Ulrike,

Let's see...

My pan has a volume of (approximately) 256 cubic inches...

One of your pans has a volume of 170 cubic inches... so you pan is
about 2/3 the volume of mine.

I would say no, if you split my formula you are likely to have too
little dough to properly fill one of your pans.

Instead, I would suggest that you use the following amounts:

Day 1: evening. Mix 248g AP flour + 48g starter (I use Poilne 100%) +
227g 2% milk to form a dough. It need not be smooth.

Ferment above 12 hours at 72°F.

Day 2: morning. add to above 158g AP + 6g salt + 26g sugar + 33g
melted butter + 1 egg yolk. Knead fully.

My re-calculation is based on the assumption that you want to put a
lid on your pan as you bake. If you do that (to get the traditional
"flat on all sides" loaf) the dough volume needs to be adjusted to the
volume of the pan. Of course, if you just want to taste the bread, you
could use the original amounts, and let the dough rise in the pan
without the lid. That would give you a fine bread but with a rounded
top...

I hope that this helps you give it a try,

--
Kenneth

Ulrike Westphal

> [...]

> Day 1: evening. Mix 248g AP flour + 48g starter (I use Poilne 100%) +
> 227g 2% milk to form a dough. It need not be smooth.
>
> Ferment above 12 hours at 72°F.
>
> Day 2: morning. add to above 158g AP + 6g salt + 26g sugar + 33g
> melted butter + 1 egg yolk. Knead fully.
>
> My re-calculation is based on the assumption that you want to put a
> lid on your pan as you bake. If you do that (to get the traditional
> "flat on all sides" loaf) the dough volume needs to be adjusted to the
> volume of the pan. Of course, if you just want to taste the bread, you
> could use the original amounts, and let the dough rise in the pan
> without the lid. That would give you a fine bread but with a rounded
> top...
>
> I hope that this helps you give it a try,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

thanks for your help. I put the lid on the pan, unfortunately the loaf is
not flat on all sides. The top looks still a little rounded, but the taste
is great.
I'll work on it.

Ulrike

Kenneth

On Mon, 3 May 2004 22:15:42 +0200, "Ulrike Westphal"
> wrote:
>
>Hello Kenneth,
>thanks for your help. I put the lid on the pan, unfortunately the loaf is
>not flat on all sides. The top looks still a little rounded, but the taste
>is great.
>I'll work on it.
>
>Ulrike

Hi Ulrike,

If it was rounded, it just means that it did not rise sufficiently for
some reason. Let it go a bit longer next time and all should work out
fine.

Of course, it is the taste that counts...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Buy OxyContin , Dilaudid , Valium ,Hydrocodone & Ritalin Online Hi! We are suppliers of assorted Pain killers , Pain relief, Depression and Anxiety Medications ,also other Research Chemicals. Discount are applicable for bulk buyers.The shipping RELIABLE VENDOR Marketplace 0 02-12-2016 03:54 PM
Pain while Meditating h General Cooking 0 23-10-2006 05:45 PM
Pain a l'Ancienne Tim Recipes 0 19-06-2005 04:15 PM
SD Pain de Mie... Kenneth Sourdough 4 26-11-2003 11:52 PM