Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Seeds for bread

My wife is suddenly nuts about seeded bread, and I aim to please. Sesame
and poppy, of course, I know well. Caraway I prefer to keep with rye, if
at all. Flax is crunchy, but doesn't seem to have a whole lot of flavor
unless ground up. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on seeds.
As for grains, oats, cracked wheat, cracked rye -- I've probably used it.

Anyway hat seeds and seed / grain combinations do you like to throw in,
either outside or inside the loaf, that taste particularly good?

And, by the way, thanks for all the help folks gave me about
transporting my starter 3100 miles across the country. They all
survived. I didn't even have to resort to breaking out the dried stuff
-- the doughballs kept just fine.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Miller

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Aug 17, 12:24 am, Jeff Miller > wrote:
> My wife is suddenly nuts about seeded bread, and I aim to please. Sesame
> and poppy, of course, I know well. Caraway I prefer to keep with rye, if
> at all. Flax is crunchy, but doesn't seem to have a whole lot of flavor
> unless ground up. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on seeds.
> As for grains, oats, cracked wheat, cracked rye -- I've probably used it.
>
> Anyway hat seeds and seed / grain combinations do you like to throw in,
> either outside or inside the loaf, that taste particularly good?
>
> And, by the way, thanks for all the help folks gave me about
> transporting my starter 3100 miles across the country. They all
> survived. I didn't even have to resort to breaking out the dried stuff
> -- the doughballs kept just fine.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jeff Miller

We like to pan roast pumpkin or sunflower seeds to medium "brownness"
and add them to the dough (last thing in). Gives good flavor,
particularly the sunflower seed.

For ryes... soak caraway, charnuska and anise for a few hours then add
them to dough. Fennel isn't bad either. Soaking first works better.

Seeds on Rye Bread? Hoges in WA Baking 1 05-11-2005 03:04 PM
Seeds-falling-off-bread problem [email protected] Baking 7 15-12-2004 02:19 PM
Chia Seeds in Bread? Raj V Baking 8 08-12-2004 08:35 PM
Sesame Seeds on Bread Hairy General Cooking 7 15-07-2004 02:57 PM
Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds PenguiN General Cooking 6 16-03-2004 02:46 AM