Hoges in WA

Default Seeds on Rye Bread?

I often see Rye bread covered with some sort of seed - smaller than a
pumpkin seed, maybe a sunflower?

I see lots of recipes in SOAR that have Caraway seed but the Caraway I have
is much smaller than the stuff I see in bakery loaves.

Also, I sometimes see rye with a sort of oatmeal cover or dusting on it. Is
it simply oatmeal?

thanks

Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:31:59 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
> wrote:

>I often see Rye bread covered with some sort of seed - smaller than a
>pumpkin seed, maybe a sunflower?
>
>I see lots of recipes in SOAR that have Caraway seed but the Caraway I have
>is much smaller than the stuff I see in bakery loaves.
>
>Also, I sometimes see rye with a sort of oatmeal cover or dusting on it. Is
>it simply oatmeal?
>
>thanks
>
>Hoges in WA

Jewish or deli rye often has charnushka, but that seed is quite small
and black.

I have seen other rye breads with all sorts of seeds added in or on
(other than the standard caraway) just to add a bit of crunch. So many
cultures/ethnicities have rye breads that you might get some idea of
what is in it by knowing if the rye is a specialty bread or just one a
local bread maker has devised.

Why not ask someone where the bread is sold? If it is packaged, the
ingredients list should tell you what you need to know.

Boron

Seeds for bread Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 17-08-2007 12:45 PM
Seeds-falling-off-bread problem [email protected] Baking 7 15-12-2004 02:19 PM
Chia Seeds in Bread? Raj V Baking 8 08-12-2004 08:35 PM
Sesame Seeds on Bread Hairy General Cooking 7 15-07-2004 02:57 PM
Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds PenguiN General Cooking 6 16-03-2004 02:46 AM