Raj V

Default Chia Seeds in Bread?

Has anyone ever heard of using chia seeds in a bread recipe? I've searched
the google groups to no avail.

Thanks,
Raj

Roy

Chia seed is never known to have been added to a bread dough or
even as topping ....
The best thing for you to do is to try it yourself.
You do not need to worry chia, is edible and its nutitional content is
somewhat similar to linseeds having some omega - 3 fatty acids in it.
As you name implies you are an Indian descent....then maybe for a start
...... a naan or purutha topped with chia seeds combined with some
sesame and cumin...woudl make a nice combination for your tastes.
Then serve it with hot sambhar masala and some chutney<g>?
You can also try adding chia to vada instead of bread dough ....
Roy

Dick Margulis

Raj V wrote:

> Has anyone ever heard of using chia seeds in a bread recipe? I've searched
> the google groups to no avail.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

Chia is a member of the sage family and is considered a rich source of
nutrients as a dietary supplement. I don't know whether the seeds impart
a sage-like flavor (which some people enjoy and others think reminiscent
of cat ****), so you would probably want to taste some before deciding
how much to add to a recipe. I also don't know how crunchy they are
whole. Here you have a couple of choices if you find they're very hard.
You could sprout them (think Chia Pet) on a porous earthenware tile that
you've soaked, or you could run the unsprouted seeds through in a spice
grinder, coffee grinder, or grain mill. I like the little Braun electric
coffee mill for this kind of small-quantity grinding. Wipe the base and
blade well with a paper towel and wash and dry the plastic top, both
before (to get rid of the coffee) and after grinding.

In any case, you don't want to include large quantities in bread. You'd
be adding them either for their nutrient value or for flavor, in limited
quantities.
Raj V

Thanks for the information. I'll try it and report back. I got some today at
the Mexican spice shop at the farmers market in Houston. They looked
interesting and I felt guilty just buying three nutmegs. :-)

Actually I'm native American. For some reason my friends at university
started calling me Raj instead of Roger. A play on the two Indians maybe?
Anyway it stuck. I do like Indian, Indian food though. Houston is so
culturally diverse you can find almost any kind of restaurant at almost any
level of cost.

Raj
"Roy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Chia seed is never known to have been added to a bread dough or
> even as topping ....
> The best thing for you to do is to try it yourself.
> You do not need to worry chia, is edible and its nutitional content is
> somewhat similar to linseeds having some omega - 3 fatty acids in it.
> As you name implies you are an Indian descent....then maybe for a start
> ..... a naan or purutha topped with chia seeds combined with some
> sesame and cumin...woudl make a nice combination for your tastes.
> Then serve it with hot sambhar masala and some chutney<g>?
> You can also try adding chia to vada instead of bread dough ....
> Roy

Raj V

I'll try it and report back.

Thanks,
Raj
"Dick Margulis" > wrote in message

> Raj V wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever heard of using chia seeds in a bread recipe? I've

searched
> > the google groups to no avail.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Raj
> >

> Chia is a member of the sage family and is considered a rich source of
> nutrients as a dietary supplement. I don't know whether the seeds impart
> a sage-like flavor (which some people enjoy and others think reminiscent
> of cat ****), so you would probably want to taste some before deciding
> how much to add to a recipe. I also don't know how crunchy they are
> whole. Here you have a couple of choices if you find they're very hard.
> You could sprout them (think Chia Pet) on a porous earthenware tile that
> you've soaked, or you could run the unsprouted seeds through in a spice
> grinder, coffee grinder, or grain mill. I like the little Braun electric
> coffee mill for this kind of small-quantity grinding. Wipe the base and
> blade well with a paper towel and wash and dry the plastic top, both
> before (to get rid of the coffee) and after grinding.
>
> In any case, you don't want to include large quantities in bread. You'd
> be adding them either for their nutrient value or for flavor, in limited
> quantities.

Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:40:13 GMT
"Raj V" > wrote:

> Actually I'm native American. For some reason my friends at university
> started calling me Raj instead of Roger. A play on the two Indians maybe?
> Anyway it stuck. I do like Indian, Indian food though. Houston is so
> culturally diverse you can find almost any kind of restaurant at almost
> any level of cost.

You're not the RajV I knew on efnet, are you? Sold me a pentium cpu many
years back . . . .
Raj V

OK, I've discovered that using Chia seeds for bread is probably not going to
work. After reading some on them, I mixed one tablespoon of seeds with about
3 oz. of water and after about 5 minutes the mixture had the consistency of
Metamucil and it just got more gelatinous with time. Something to do with
water soluble fiber in the seed coat. They were not especially tasty dry.
Back to the drawing board.

Thanks,
Raj
"Raj V" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever heard of using chia seeds in a bread recipe? I've searched
> the google groups to no avail.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

Chef R. W. Miller

http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/news/...ingredient-for

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html
"Raj V" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever heard of using chia seeds in a bread recipe? I've searched
> the google groups to no avail.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

Chef R. W. Miller

"Raj V" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever heard of using chia seeds in a bread recipe? I've searched
> the google groups to no avail.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

Culinary uses for chia seeds? Sqwertz[_25_] General Cooking 10 27-11-2010 08:35 AM
Seeds for bread Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 17-08-2007 12:45 PM
Seeds on Rye Bread? Hoges in WA Baking 1 05-11-2005 04:04 PM
Seeds-falling-off-bread problem [email protected] Baking 7 15-12-2004 03:19 PM
Sesame Seeds on Bread Hairy General Cooking 7 15-07-2004 02:57 PM