Janet Bostwick

Default Bread flattens during rising -- very soft dough

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> Do you have a url for TMB?
> I've not heard of it. A newbie, I suppose.
> thanks,
> Dee

See the initial posting in this thread.

Boron Elgar

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:31:07 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>I am awaiting a 3 piece banneton order right now from a company in
>Florida, so I am not immediately in the market (assuming my order is
>successful>
>> Boron
>>

>Can you give the url (if there is one) where you ordered your 3-piece
>banneton?
>Or would you like to wait until your order is successful? I hope your are
>not disappointed.
>Thanks.
>Dee

I will wait to see how it all turns out.

Boron
Dave Bazell

Default Bread flattens during rising

Thank you all for the many great suggestions. I made two loaves, one
bagette and one round which I put on a floured towel and placed in a bowl.
I then tried letting the dough rise for a shorter time. I let it rise for
about an hour at "room temperature" and then refrigerated it overnight in a
plastic bag. I took it out this morning and let it sit for an hour in a
warm place (a briefly warmed oven, about 80F) This took the chill off. The
dough in the bowl had risen to the top of the bowl overnight, while the
bagette had risen some but spread less than before. I turned out the round
loaf from the bowl, which worked nicely; the towel came off easily and the
shape was great.

I put the loaves in the oven at 475, added a cup of water to a pan and
misted twice in the first four minutes, turned the temp down to 450 and let
bake for about 30 minutes.

Great success! Nice oven spring. Not too flat. I am now going to share
them with my family for lunch.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Dave

"Dave Bazell" > wrote in message
> I have finally gotten my home made starter to work. It is nice and bubbly
> and frothy before I make the dough. I use King Arthur bread flour, but

when
> I make the dough and let it rise, it tends to flatten out and spread,
> resulting in rather flat but good sourdough bread. I have tried adding

more
> flour assuming that the dough is too wet, but that didn't seem to help.

The
> basic recipe I follow is from Crust and Crumb for San Francisco Sourdough.
> It is reproduced below.
>
> Perhaps I am letting it rise too long? The bread has nice push when I put
> it in the oven, but it still ends up rather flat.
>
> I could be that the dough is too wet because it is not perfectly clear to

me
> how wet the starter should be and how firm the firm starter should be.
>
> The recipie I follow:
>
> Firm starter:
>
> 2C barm starter (rather wet and bubbly and frothy, mmm....)
> 2C flour
>
> Mix ingredients. Let the firm starter rise for about 4 hours then let it
> sit overnight in the refrigerator.
>
> 2 C Firm starter
> 6 C Flour
> 1 T salt
> 1 1/4 t sugar
> 2 C cool water
>
> Roughly, I mix the ingredients, make sure dough passes the window pane

test,
> and let rise for about 4 hours at room temperature. As the recipie says,

it
> doesn't rise much up to now. Then I form into loaves, let rise another 4
> hours, during which the dough increases in size by about 50%, but tends to
> flatten. I then bake at 475F for about 5 minutes, turn temp down to 450

for
> another 20-30. But the damage is done before it gets into the oven.
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
>
> Dave

Dee Randall

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> > Do you have a url for TMB?
> > I've not heard of it. A newbie, I suppose.
> > thanks,
> > Dee
> >

> See the initial posting in this thread.

Thanks, Janet, I recalled the initial posting as being
"San Francisco Baking Institute"instead of the TMB baking.

Must be a brain lapse due to all my years living in San Francisco.
Thanks,
Dee

Dee Randall

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Dee Randall" asked "Boron":

> Can you give the url (if there is one) where you ordered your 3-piece
> banneton? Or would you like to wait until your order is successful?

You know, dear child, you don't have to wait until you get just the
right banneton. Look at what one guy did with a cookie sheet:

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ronpics/ronsfsd.html

---
DickA

Oh, thank you DickA, I love these pictures. I strive for these, too.
I don't like to limit myself to one aspect of bread baking because it is 'so
very interesting.'
Thanks for calling me "dear child," that's so lovely.

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...veyFamilyPage/

Dee

Janet Bostwick

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> > > Do you have a url for TMB?
> > > I've not heard of it. A newbie, I suppose.
> > > thanks,
> > > Dee
> > >

> > See the initial posting in this thread.
> >

> Thanks, Janet, I recalled the initial posting as being
> "San Francisco Baking Institute"instead of the TMB baking.
>
> Must be a brain lapse due to all my years living in San Francisco.
> Thanks,
> Dee

If you go to the site and look around, you will see that there is a
relationship.

Dick Adams

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message =

> Thanks for calling me "dear child," that's so lovely.

Thanks, dear child, for designating my outlandish behavior as=20
"lovely".

Well, actually, I am not quite old enough to feel fatherly
towards you, but I will soon be.

I would like to commend you on having two actual names
and what appears to be an actual return address, and willingness
to share the graphic details of your physiognomy and ontogeny with=20
us. I hope that some of our anonymous CB fugitives and one-name=20
noobies will notice how easy it is to be (or pass yourself off as) a=20
legitimate person here.

(Well, of course, Kenneth is not a newbie -- he has been here=20
forever, and Boron Elgar is a fake -- nobody in his/her right mind
actually named Boron would reveal that to anybody.)

But now, as far as the fancy baskets are concerned, I would like
to suggest that these make far more sense to the folks who distinguish
themselves my making very complicated bread than they do to those
of us that make simple bread (flour [=3DWWF], water, salt & culture).
And the reason for that is very easy to identify: The more stuff that=20
goes into dough, and the more you fool around with it, the less likely
it is to rise well. The more vigorously it rises, the more likely it is =
achieve and maintain, without the use of forms, an acceptable loaf=20
shape. And, of course, non-Teutonic people who optimistically persist=20
in trying to make bread from rye flour need all the help they can get.

However, the cosmetic improvement that can be got by imprinting=20
fancy basket structure on bread crust cannot be denied. It is an=20
obvious culinary vanity for vain culinarians.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com

Boron Elgar

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:54:29 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
wrote:

>"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message ...
>
>> Thanks for calling me "dear child," that's so lovely.

>Thanks, dear child, for designating my outlandish behavior as
>"lovely".
>
>Well, actually, I am not quite old enough to feel fatherly
>towards you, but I will soon be.
>
>I would like to commend you on having two actual names
>and what appears to be an actual return address, and willingness
>to share the graphic details of your physiognomy and ontogeny with
>us. I hope that some of our anonymous CB fugitives and one-name
>noobies will notice how easy it is to be (or pass yourself off as) a
>legitimate person here.
>
>(Well, of course, Kenneth is not a newbie -- he has been here
>forever, and Boron Elgar is a fake -- nobody in his/her right mind
>actually named Boron would reveal that to anybody.)

Oh, pishtosh. Anyone who has ever emailed me or whom I email finds out
very easily who I am. I make no secret of it there.

I also shred those silly checks the credit card people send me all the
time.

Boron