Ken Knecht

Default Bread rising

I have one bread-machine recipe I like but it usually fails to
rise, or does so poorly. It uses honey as a sweetener. I tried it
again today but replaced the honey with an equal amount of white
sugar. The loaf rose nicely. I don't know if this will affect the
taste much if at all as I've not tasted it yet.

Wrong brand of honey or is this sometimes a problem?

TIA

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me
Vox Humana

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> I have one bread-machine recipe I like but it usually fails to
> rise, or does so poorly. It uses honey as a sweetener. I tried it
> again today but replaced the honey with an equal amount of white
> sugar. The loaf rose nicely. I don't know if this will affect the
> taste much if at all as I've not tasted it yet.
>
> Wrong brand of honey or is this sometimes a problem?
>
> TIA

Honey, as a rule, shouldn't be a problem. However, in her book "Cookwise"
Corriher reports that certain honeys, depending on the type of flowers the
bees were visiting, may inhibit the yeast. Unless you are using bulk yeast,
my guess would be that it had nothing to do with the honey, but everything
to do with the yeast. You may have had yeast packets that were no longer
vital. The switch from honey to sugar could have been unrelated to the
outcome. You might try a different brand of honey and try again. I have
never had a problem with honey in bread dough.

PENMART01

Ken Knecht > writes:

>I have one bread-machine recipe I like but it usually fails to
>rise, or does so poorly. It uses honey as a sweetener. I tried it
>again today but replaced the honey with an equal amount of white
>sugar. The loaf rose nicely.

Too much sugar can interfere with yeast growth.
Honey has twice the sweetening power of cane sugar.
How much Honey you talking? Post the recipe?
Without your recipe all anyone can do is offer wild speculation.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon