Guy Smith

Default Granary Bread not rising

I have invested in a Morph Richard automatic bread making machine. Whilst
the white bread works fine my preferred bread, granary will not rise
properly. I have done everything in their trouble-shooter including:
increasing the yeast a little and a lot, increasing the and heating the
water, checked the sell by date on the flour, increasing the sugar and salt.
Has anyone any suggestions please?
I am assuming that the large loaf is supposed to fill the tin after baking?

For whole grains bread, my machine has a 30 minute soak period before
it starts the mixing. Also, on of my books recommends soaking whole
wheat flour in some of the water before starting to mix whole wheat
bread.

Also, the bread rises more quickly with the addition of a small amount
of acid. I add a scant 1/4 tsp. of powdered lemon (unsweetened
Kool-Aid) to a 1 pound loaf.

Also, I add a tablespoon of vital gluten for each pound of bread that
is half whole wheat.

Just a few of ideas. But, I'm afraid bread with whole grains do not
rise a much as a high protein white flour, regardless of what is done.

Guy Smith

Thank you for the answers I will source the ingredients and give it a go.

I assume you are from North America, as is the bread maker and its measuring
equipment. Can you tell me why the butter is measured in 'tablespoons'? Is a
very awkward way of measuring butter? In the UK we always do it in grams or
ounces. What is a tablespoon of butter in weight do you think?

Boron Elgar

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:04:49 +0100, "Guy Smith" >
wrote:

>Thank you for the answers I will source the ingredients and give it a go.
>
>I assume you are from North America, as is the bread maker and its measuring
>equipment. Can you tell me why the butter is measured in 'tablespoons'? Is a
>very awkward way of measuring butter? In the UK we always do it in grams or
>ounces. What is a tablespoon of butter in weight do you think?

8 tablespoons is 4 ounces.

Our butter is packed in "sticks," each of which is 4 ounces. The
sticks have the tablespoons marked in lines on the individual
wrappers.

http://www.ochef.com/837.htm

Boron
Guy Smith

Cunning, definatly a lot easyer than scooping soft butter in and out of a
measuering spoon - Thanks.

Dave Bell

Guy Smith wrote:
> Cunning, definatly a lot easyer than scooping soft butter in and out of a
> measuering spoon - Thanks.

Of course, the paper wrapper is rarely aligned exactly with the stick,
so you kinda have to guesstimate the fractional tablespoon it's off.

Dave
Boron Elgar

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:47:59 GMT, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>Guy Smith wrote:
>> Cunning, definatly a lot easyer than scooping soft butter in and out of a
>> measuering spoon - Thanks.
>>

>Of course, the paper wrapper is rarely aligned exactly with the stick,
>so you kinda have to guesstimate the fractional tablespoon it's off.
>
>Dave

They do not want to take all the fun out of it.

Boron

SALT-RISING BREAD Tim Recipes 0 23-06-2005 01:29 PM
double rising (or not) bread [email protected] Baking 39 09-02-2005 04:46 PM
Granary Bread Hahabogus Diabetic 0 02-11-2004 03:21 PM
Bread rising Ken Knecht General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 06:17 PM
Salt Rising Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 21-10-2003 03:13 PM