Heavyarms

Default New Starter Odor

"Randall Brink" > wrote in message
t...
> Perhaps this has been asked and answered, (though I could not find it in

the
> FAQ) I have created a new starter strictly from unbleached flour and

water,
> and in a very short time (24 hours) it has bubbled and began to work

nicely;
> however it has a strange and rather unpleasant odor, similar to a cheese
> culture. I have never experienced this before, and wonder if it could be
> spoiled, or if I am using the wrong flour or water?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The last two starters I...um...started, one smelled like spoiled milk, the
other smelled like yogurt (the spoiled milk one I allowed to do its thing in
a slightly warmer environment.) Don't worry, its just the little beasties
swimming in the pool. I had a crusty old fart (my grandfather) tell me that
as long as it doesn't turn green (i.e. something other than yeast and
bacteria is growing in it), its okay. I have also seen that this smell
isn't as common, or as strong, with new starters made with whole wheat type
flours.

Dick Adams

"Heavyarms" <jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com> wrote in =
message ...

> ... I had a crusty old fart (my grandfather) tell me that as long as=20
> it doesn't turn green (i.e. something other than yeast and bacteria=20
> is growing in it), its okay ...

When it's green or pink, you should eat it, suffer, and die, you=20
disrespectful little ****.

---
Grandpa

Heavyarms

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Heavyarms" <jentry tee (at) pee-puhl pee see (dot) com> wrote in message

> ... I had a crusty old fart (my grandfather) tell me that as long as
> it doesn't turn green (i.e. something other than yeast and bacteria
> is growing in it), its okay ...

^ Words of wisdom from my Pa-Pa, who referred to himself as "a crusty old
fart."