Paddy Murray

Default Fw: Using odor as a guidepost

----- Original Message -----
From: Paddy Murray
To: Will
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 11:40 AM
Subject: Using odor as a guidepost

I have used odour for about ten years. The acetone /frutiy champagne type smell for me is a sign of good culture health. I always keep at least two cultures in the fridge. When I take them out the ones that do no smell OK usually have some black type or darkish formation on the surface not always but mostly. I discard them always as I have found that they are usually contaminated in a way that is negative to their function. Occassionaly that means all my cultures go down/bad. Then I buy a new culture from Ed Woods, my favourite is the San Francisco.
Ernie

I have used odour for about ten years. The acetone /frutiy champagne type smell for me is a sign of good culture health. I always keep at least two cultures in the fridge. When I take them out the ones that do no smell OK usually have some black type or darkish formation on the surface not always but mostly. I discard them always as I have found that they are usually contaminated in a way that is negative to their function. Occassionaly that means all my cultures go down/bad. Then I buy a new culture from Ed Woods, my favourite is the San Francisco.

Paddy,
Why buy more culture? When you get a culture make up a batch and spread it out thin on a piece of plastic wrap. Let it dry and fold the plastic wrap up and put it in an envelop with the name of the culture written upon it. When the culture you are using goes bad, remove some from the envelope and activate it.
Ernie

Cilantro with no odor! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 57 05-11-2012 11:34 PM
Odor in wine Shane[_2_] Winemaking 3 17-01-2009 08:57 PM
H2s odor still lingering Rick Winemaking 16 04-08-2006 04:11 AM
Using odor as a guidepost Jonathan Kandell Sourdough 6 24-02-2005 03:54 AM
New Starter Odor Heavyarms Sourdough 2 06-10-2003 11:19 PM