Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default "Dough ball" Starter Question

I keep my refridgerator starter as a very stiff dough (50% hydration) and
have made bread in the past from a stiff starter. It worked just as well for
me as using the wet starter.

Basically, I'd just take the dough ball from the fridge, which is never more
than 30-50 grams (about an ounce or two), and feed it over 2-3 builds until
I got it to the size I needed to bake bread. By that time, it was fully
active. So there's no wet sponge. I'd just break the stiff starter up into
about a dozen pieces knead it into the flour, water and salt.

Recently, though, I've been taking just a bit of the stiff refridgerator
starter and creating a wet sponge from that. I weigh mine, so if I've got 9
grams of stiff starter, that means I've got 6 grams flour and 3 grams water.
I'll usually bring it up to 100 percent hydration and increase the size by a
factor of three. So that means I'll first soften the stiff starter with 15
grams water and then add 12 grams flour.

Over the next couple of builds, I'll bring it up to where I need it for the
bread.

--
Jeff Miller

REVIEW: Kinder's "Ball Tip" roast from Costco TFM®[_1_] Barbecue 1 07-09-2011 03:10 PM
"starter.txt" question no Sourdough 0 15-04-2007 05:08 AM
"Dough ball" Starter Question Kevin Griffin Sourdough 2 10-02-2007 07:45 PM
Reporting back: Question regarding keeping "Old Dough" NewCulStudent Sourdough 3 21-11-2005 01:01 AM
Question regarding keeping "Old Dough" NewCulStudent Sourdough 11 16-11-2005 06:26 AM