Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default "Dough ball" Starter Question

Hello, I'm wondering how one uses a "dough ball" style starter as mentioned
by group member Will. Right now I'm using a slurry style starter. I take a
few tablespoons of the slurry and add some water and flour to start a
sponge. If I add more flour to the slurry starter to make a dough ball, how
do I start a sponge from it?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

You can use it the same way, just add the amount of dough ball ( firm
starter) you want to use to the water your going to use for your sponge,
stir a little, then you have a nice wet mix to add your flour to.

--

Mike S.

"Kevin Griffin" > wrote in message
> Hello, I'm wondering how one uses a "dough ball" style starter as
> mentioned by group member Will. Right now I'm using a slurry style
> starter. I take a few tablespoons of the slurry and add some water and
> flour to start a sponge. If I add more flour to the slurry starter to
> make a dough ball, how do I start a sponge from it?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks for your suggestions. When I next made bread, I saved a "doughball"
and used that as the starter for my next bread in pretty much the same
manner as I've been using the slurry starter. I broke up a piece of the
doughball starter and mixed it with water. Then I added some flour and
after one refreshment, the sponge was bubbling just the same as if I'd used
the slurry starter. I think the doughball is a litter easier and neater to
store than a slurry.

"Kevin Griffin" > wrote in message
> Hello, I'm wondering how one uses a "dough ball" style starter as
> mentioned by group member Will. Right now I'm using a slurry style
> starter. I take a few tablespoons of the slurry and add some water and
> flour to start a sponge. If I add more flour to the slurry starter to
> make a dough ball, how do I start a sponge from it?

REVIEW: Kinder's "Ball Tip" roast from Costco TFM®[_1_] Barbecue 1 07-09-2011 03:10 PM
"starter.txt" question no Sourdough 0 15-04-2007 05:08 AM
"Dough ball" Starter Question Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 06-02-2007 03:56 PM
Reporting back: Question regarding keeping "Old Dough" NewCulStudent Sourdough 3 21-11-2005 01:01 AM
Question regarding keeping "Old Dough" NewCulStudent Sourdough 11 16-11-2005 06:26 AM