Old 20-04-2006, 04:17 PM posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,ny.general,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

Default thai and chinese recommendations needed

Y'all will want to check out the Flushing Mall in Flushing, Queens,
too. They have Taiwan Ice, a nice little dessert. But there's the
sizzling platter steak, and good stinky tofu, and "ai-tsong mein
hsien," and pork chop over rice (with a tea egg, cabbage, and mustard
greens), as well as "salty fried chicken" and ground pork over rice
(with tea egg and mustard greens), and "Taitung noodle soup" and "dry
noodles"...very nice Taiwan taste. There is also a "mala stinky tofu"
there that's real stinky but very good, too, if you're into pungent
fermented chili and garlic. For breakfast there's, what, Northern
Capital which serves traditional Chinese breakfast fare -- very
interesting.

There's also Eighth Avenue in Brooklyn, the third Chinatown in NYC.
The great thing about Chinatowns is that you can just walk around and
look in the windows. Speaking of Chinatown, the original one in
Manhattan has got a nice dim sum place called Go Go Dim Sum. It's
touristy, almost always packed, full of white people, but the stuff is
good...make sure to go before noontime so you can get the full menu
(after that time things get sold out, it seems).

In Elmhurst there's David's Gourmet Taiwanese...they do a decent stinky
tofu and an adequate beef noodle soup, but their beef with chili pepper
over rice is EXCELLENT! There's also a Thai restaurant next to an
Indian (as in, South Asian) pizzeria that makes the spiciest soup I've
ever had...I forget its name, but it looks and almost tastes like a
bowl of heated hot sauce! My tears were just streaming all on their
own, constantly...the only comparable experience is the gas chamber in
basic training when you go into the military.

But yeah, while you're checking out the kosher Chinese joints in
Midwood, Brooklyn, also stop by Maspeth, Queens, or Astoria, Queens,
for the halaal Chinese food. Just for curiosity's sake -- the stuff's
just typical take-out flavor, the equivalent of veal parmesan at a
pizzeria.

Astoria's got good Thai food -- the aforementioned Jaiya restaurant is
good (they're Thai Chinese, it turns out, hehehe). There's also Ubol's
Kitchen on my block; I like Spicy Pork in the Garden and the seafood
sampler. There's also, what, Jenny's, which is Asian fusion and real
"hipster"....

And I just have to plug Ariyoshi in Sunnyside, a friendly Japanese
restaurant with good food and good prices. I really like their
desserts, too, especially desserts-of-the-day!

At most of these places, $20 will get a person a very good meal, and
$40 buys you a grand feast!

Darrin wrote:
austx wrote:

Will be in NYC for a few days later this month. Would appreciate
restaurant recommendations, especially for chinese and thai food.
Some of the restaurants I have been reading abt are ; Jaiya for thai,
Grand Sichuan for chinese, Penang for Malaysian. And for an upscale
pan-asian experience- Tao. Would appreciate your insight and recommendations about these and other restaurants. Thanks in advance,

Have been frequenting The Cottage (at Irving Place) as of recent, near
the famous Irving Plaza in Manhattan. The food is stinkin' delish! eh
BTW, when in the cuisine capital of the world, do try our Kosher
Chinese! eh Another hint: the measuring stick to good Asian food, is
finding Asians patroning the establishment. As is the case with The
Cottage and a gazillion other restaurants in the most diverse Asian
cuisine on earth! In the meantime, do peruse the rest of my work in
this newsgroup, for its breadth is unsurpassed!eheheh D, NYC "Jews
always know two things: suffering and where to find great Chinese
food!" eh - MY FAVORITE YEAR, 1982.."I thank God I was born on the
banks of the Hudson" - WASHINGTON IRVING, 1809, author, poet.."New
Yorkers spend $11 billion a year eating out, making NY the restaurant
capital of the world" - JANE'S NY: RESTAURANTS (NBC 4 NY at NBC World
Headquarters - Rockefeller Center, Manhattan: center of the
universe/hub of broadcasting: home to Nightly News with Brian Williams,
The Today Show, SNL, Dateline, and Late Night with Conan O'Brien).."If
food were a competitive sport, New York City would have more gold
medals than anywhere else in the world" - TRACY NEIPORENT, Myriad
Restaurant Group/NYC & Company Restaurant Committee Chair.."You know,
the more they knock New York - the bigger it gets!" - WILL
ROGERS.."From New York - the greatest city in the world!" - LATE SHOW
WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (Ed Sullivan theatre - placed The Beatles on the
musical map).."New York City is the central home for this entire
planet. The Olympics draws contestants from all countries. Wherever
they come from we've got a family for them, a neighborhood for them, a
group who speak their language, cook their food, support their
religion, understand their needs. We have someone for everyone" - JUDGE
JUDY (umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer).."I think NY restaurants sets a
trend for the rest of the world. There's no other place that has the
diversity and the experience of the chefs and restaurants that NYC has"
- STEPHEN P. HANSON, P.R. Guest Restaurants.."I am constantly impressed
by the number of restaurants that open in NY in a year..even a month's
time. The quality..the fact that there's such a huge community that
supports these new restaurants" - BARBARA FAIRCHILD, Bon Appetit.."NYC
- 8 million or so people..5 boroughs..international mix of people..it
has been the hubbub of nightlife activity and restaurants for 50-100
years" - JAMES OLIVER CURY, Time Out Magazine.."Stay home. Marry the
girl next door. Open a restaurant there. New York doesn't need any more
restaurants. America does" - SHELLEY FIREMAN (sweet), NYC Restaurateur,
owner of Cafe' Fiorello, Tratoria Dell'Arte, Shelly's, Brooklyn Diner,
Redeye Grill, and Bond 45.
http://tinyurl.com/qs7la (World's Most Expensive Hotel Suites - #1 -
Plaza Hotel, NY, NY)
http://tinyurl.com/pyz6a (Top 10 Places To Live & Work For Those Under
35 - NY, NY)
http://tinyurl.com/7hexr (Best States For Raising Healthy Kids: #2 -
NY)
http://tinyurl.com/3juvb (New York Jewish History - largest, richest,
most creative Jewish community in the world)
http://tinyurl.com/3npsf (NYC - safest, largest city in the US)
http://tinyurl.com/3qkd3 (NYC Statistics & Fun Facts)
http://tinyurl.com/3c6kk (Top 10 Places America Goes To Have Fun -
Times Square)
http://tinyurl.com/3nyhl (America's 5 Most/Least Expensive Cities To
Live In: #1 - NYC - most expensive)
http://tinyurl.com/46f53 (NY, NY - Capital Of The World)
http://www.forbes.com (NY: 3 of Top 5 Most Expensive Homes in the US)
http://tinyurl.com/5zmb6 (Temple Emanu-El, NYC - World's Largest
Synagogue -Guinness World Record holder)
http://tinyurl.com/5gs58 (Brach's - World's Largest Kosher Supermarket,
NY)
http://tinyurl.com/5phxf (US Study - Jews Richer Because Of Religion)
http://tinyurl.com/5gd3p (A Study In Differences - Are Jews Smarter?)
http://tinyurl.com/38m6o (Jewish population of the US by State)
http://tinyurl.com/666cx (Jewish population of the World)
http://tinyurl.com/68ttu (Jewish Nobel Prizes)
http://tinyurl.com/6qb5e (Is It True - Do Jews Win More Nobel Prizes
than anyone else?)
http://tinyurl.com/4cz9j (Tel-Aviv - Top 10 High-Tech Cities In The
World)
http://tinyurl.com/6exvb (Phenomenon Of The Jews)
http://tinyurl.com/ihif (Jews, IQs & Nobel Laureates)
http://tinyurl.com/5tn7u (Do Jews Run Hollywood!? You Bet They do, and
what of it?)

Old 20-04-2006, 07:26 PM posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,ny.general,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

Can a cheapskate get anything for $5.00?

Old 20-04-2006, 10:29 PM posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,ny.general,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

NYC XYZ wrote:
Y'all will want to check out the Flushing Mall in Flushing, Queens,
too. They have Taiwan Ice, a nice little dessert. But there's the
sizzling platter steak, and good stinky tofu, and "ai-tsong mein
hsien," and pork chop over rice (with a tea egg, cabbage, and mustard
greens), as well as "salty fried chicken" and ground pork over rice
(with tea egg and mustard greens), and "Taitung noodle soup" and "dry
noodles"...very nice Taiwan taste. There is also a "mala stinky tofu"
there that's real stinky but very good, too, if you're into pungent
fermented chili and garlic. For breakfast there's, what, Northern
Capital which serves traditional Chinese breakfast fare -- very
interesting.

I tried stinky tofu again today after a 12 year hiatus. Maybe again in
12 more ;-)

Old 21-04-2006, 02:45 AM posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,soc.culture.hongkong,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

wrote:

I tried stinky tofu again today after a 12 year hiatus. Maybe again in
12 more ;-)

I love it!

I bet you didn't have the "mala stinky tofu"...you probably only had
*regular* ones!

Say, does Hong Kong still have its nusiance law against street vendors
selling stinky tofu near residences?