Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,ny.general,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

Default thai and chinese recommendations needed

Y'all will want to check out the Flushing Mall in Flushing, Queens,
too. They have Taiwan Ice, a nice little dessert. But there's the
sizzling platter steak, and good stinky tofu, and "ai-tsong mein
hsien," and pork chop over rice (with a tea egg, cabbage, and mustard
greens), as well as "salty fried chicken" and ground pork over rice
(with tea egg and mustard greens), and "Taitung noodle soup" and "dry
noodles"...very nice Taiwan taste. There is also a "mala stinky tofu"
there that's real stinky but very good, too, if you're into pungent
fermented chili and garlic. For breakfast there's, what, Northern
Capital which serves traditional Chinese breakfast fare -- very
interesting.

There's also Eighth Avenue in Brooklyn, the third Chinatown in NYC.
The great thing about Chinatowns is that you can just walk around and
look in the windows. Speaking of Chinatown, the original one in
Manhattan has got a nice dim sum place called Go Go Dim Sum. It's
touristy, almost always packed, full of white people, but the stuff is
good...make sure to go before noontime so you can get the full menu
(after that time things get sold out, it seems).

In Elmhurst there's David's Gourmet Taiwanese...they do a decent stinky
tofu and an adequate beef noodle soup, but their beef with chili pepper
over rice is EXCELLENT! There's also a Thai restaurant next to an
Indian (as in, South Asian) pizzeria that makes the spiciest soup I've
ever had...I forget its name, but it looks and almost tastes like a
bowl of heated hot sauce! My tears were just streaming all on their
own, constantly...the only comparable experience is the gas chamber in
basic training when you go into the military.

But yeah, while you're checking out the kosher Chinese joints in
Midwood, Brooklyn, also stop by Maspeth, Queens, or Astoria, Queens,
for the halaal Chinese food. Just for curiosity's sake -- the stuff's
just typical take-out flavor, the equivalent of veal parmesan at a
pizzeria.

Astoria's got good Thai food -- the aforementioned Jaiya restaurant is
good (they're Thai Chinese, it turns out, hehehe). There's also Ubol's
Kitchen on my block; I like Spicy Pork in the Garden and the seafood
sampler. There's also, what, Jenny's, which is Asian fusion and real
"hipster"....

And I just have to plug Ariyoshi in Sunnyside, a friendly Japanese
restaurant with good food and good prices. I really like their
desserts, too, especially desserts-of-the-day!

At most of these places, $20 will get a person a very good meal, and
$40 buys you a grand feast!

Darrin wrote:
> [...]

> Headquarters - Rockefeller Center, Manhattan: center of the
> universe/hub of broadcasting: home to Nightly News with Brian Williams,
> The Today Show, SNL, Dateline, and Late Night with Conan O'Brien).."If
> food were a competitive sport, New York City would have more gold
> medals than anywhere else in the world" - TRACY NEIPORENT, Myriad
> Restaurant Group/NYC & Company Restaurant Committee Chair.."You know,
> the more they knock New York - the bigger it gets!" - WILL
> ROGERS.."From New York - the greatest city in the world!" - LATE SHOW
> WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (Ed Sullivan theatre - placed The Beatles on the
> musical map).."New York City is the central home for this entire
> planet. The Olympics draws contestants from all countries. Wherever
> they come from we've got a family for them, a neighborhood for them, a
> group who speak their language, cook their food, support their
> religion, understand their needs. We have someone for everyone" - JUDGE
> JUDY (umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer).."I think NY restaurants sets a
> trend for the rest of the world. There's no other place that has the
> diversity and the experience of the chefs and restaurants that NYC has"
> - STEPHEN P. HANSON, P.R. Guest Restaurants.."I am constantly impressed
> by the number of restaurants that open in NY in a year..even a month's
> time. The quality..the fact that there's such a huge community that
> supports these new restaurants" - BARBARA FAIRCHILD, Bon Appetit.."NYC
> - 8 million or so people..5 boroughs..international mix of people..it
> has been the hubbub of nightlife activity and restaurants for 50-100
> years" - JAMES OLIVER CURY, Time Out Magazine.."Stay home. Marry the
> girl next door. Open a restaurant there. New York doesn't need any more
> restaurants. America does" - SHELLEY FIREMAN (sweet), NYC Restaurateur,
> owner of Cafe' Fiorello, Tratoria Dell'Arte, Shelly's, Brooklyn Diner,
> Redeye Grill, and Bond 45.
> http://tinyurl.com/qs7la (World's Most Expensive Hotel Suites - #1 -
> Plaza Hotel, NY, NY)
> http://tinyurl.com/pyz6a (Top 10 Places To Live & Work For Those Under
> 35 - NY, NY)
> http://tinyurl.com/7hexr (Best States For Raising Healthy Kids: #2 -
> NY)
> http://tinyurl.com/3juvb (New York Jewish History - largest, richest,
> most creative Jewish community in the world)
> http://tinyurl.com/3npsf (NYC - safest, largest city in the US)
> http://tinyurl.com/3qkd3 (NYC Statistics & Fun Facts)
> http://tinyurl.com/3c6kk (Top 10 Places America Goes To Have Fun -
> Times Square)
> http://tinyurl.com/3nyhl (America's 5 Most/Least Expensive Cities To
> Live In: #1 - NYC - most expensive)
> http://tinyurl.com/46f53 (NY, NY - Capital Of The World)
> http://www.forbes.com (NY: 3 of Top 5 Most Expensive Homes in the US)
> http://tinyurl.com/5zmb6 (Temple Emanu-El, NYC - World's Largest
> Synagogue -Guinness World Record holder)

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,ny.general,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

Can a cheapskate get anything for $5.00?

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,ny.general,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Y'all will want to check out the Flushing Mall in Flushing, Queens,
> too. They have Taiwan Ice, a nice little dessert. But there's the
> sizzling platter steak, and good stinky tofu, and "ai-tsong mein
> hsien," and pork chop over rice (with a tea egg, cabbage, and mustard
> greens), as well as "salty fried chicken" and ground pork over rice
> (with tea egg and mustard greens), and "Taitung noodle soup" and "dry
> noodles"...very nice Taiwan taste. There is also a "mala stinky tofu"
> there that's real stinky but very good, too, if you're into pungent
> fermented chili and garlic. For breakfast there's, what, Northern
> Capital which serves traditional Chinese breakfast fare -- very
> interesting.

I tried stinky tofu again today after a 12 year hiatus. Maybe again in
12 more ;-)