Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sauces for salmon and shrimp -- recommendations needed

We're having some friends over for dinner soon, and I'm planning the menu.
My plan so far is this:

Appetizers -- crackers with cream cheese and green tomato jam, some kind of
roasted nut mixture, some interesting olives.

Salad -- mixed green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette

Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with garlic
and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs added), some
veggies (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled zucchini)

Dessert -- strawberry tart

I'll bake some bread or rolls, too.

This is a pretty simple menu, and I think it cries out for some sauces for
the seafood. I'll skewer the shrimp, and weather permitting, we'll grill
them and the salmon over charcoal, using just a bit of olive oil to keep
them from sticking.

I'd like sauces to serve on the side. I'm thinking one primarily for the
salmon and a different one for the shrimp, although it will be fun if they
can be "mix and match".

Suggestions, anyone? One of our guests is a recovering alcoholic, so I
don't want sauces that include wine or other alcoholic beverage. Also, I
prefer sauces that can be pretty much made in advance.

TIA
Anny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anny Middon wrote:

> We're having some friends over for dinner soon, and I'm planning the menu.
> My plan so far is this:
>
> Appetizers -- crackers with cream cheese and green tomato jam, some kind of
> roasted nut mixture, some interesting olives.
>
> Salad -- mixed green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette
>
> Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with garlic
> and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs added), some
> veggies (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled zucchini)
>
> Dessert -- strawberry tart
>
> I'll bake some bread or rolls, too.
>
> This is a pretty simple menu, and I think it cries out for some sauces for
> the seafood. I'll skewer the shrimp, and weather permitting, we'll grill
> them and the salmon over charcoal, using just a bit of olive oil to keep
> them from sticking.
>
> I'd like sauces to serve on the side. I'm thinking one primarily for the
> salmon and a different one for the shrimp, although it will be fun if they
> can be "mix and match".
>
> Suggestions, anyone? One of our guests is a recovering alcoholic, so I
> don't want sauces that include wine or other alcoholic beverage. Also, I
> prefer sauces that can be pretty much made in advance.

Sauce for grilled shrimp and salmon????? Not necessary.

I marinate shrimp in a mixture of olive oil, lemon (or lime) juice, lots of
finely shopped garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce, parsley, dash of
Worcestershire Sauce and a bit if ketchup. I marinade it for 1-2 hours...
no more.

Salmon fillets are good on a grill cooked skin side down with a little bit
of salt and ground pepper, a little olive oil or butter on top, and part
way through a sprinkle of fresh dill weed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
t...
> We're having some friends over for dinner soon, and I'm planning the menu.
> My plan so far is this:
>
> Appetizers -- crackers with cream cheese and green tomato jam, some kind
> of roasted nut mixture, some interesting olives.
>
> Salad -- mixed green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette
>
> Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with
> garlic and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs added),
> some veggies (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled zucchini)
>
> Dessert -- strawberry tart
>
> I'll bake some bread or rolls, too.
>
> This is a pretty simple menu, and I think it cries out for some sauces for
> the seafood. I'll skewer the shrimp, and weather permitting, we'll grill
> them and the salmon over charcoal, using just a bit of olive oil to keep
> them from sticking.
>
> I'd like sauces to serve on the side. I'm thinking one primarily for the
> salmon and a different one for the shrimp, although it will be fun if they
> can be "mix and match".
>
> Suggestions, anyone? One of our guests is a recovering alcoholic, so I
> don't want sauces that include wine or other alcoholic beverage. Also, I
> prefer sauces that can be pretty much made in advance.
>
> TIA
> Anny

Melted butter and capers for the salmon on a bed of pasta. Yum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
t...
> We're having some friends over for dinner soon, and I'm planning the menu. My
> plan so far is this:
>
> Appetizers -- crackers with cream cheese and green tomato jam, some kind of
> roasted nut mixture, some interesting olives.
>
> Salad -- mixed green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette
>
> Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with garlic
> and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs added), some veggies
> (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled zucchini)
>
> Dessert -- strawberry tart
>
> I'll bake some bread or rolls, too.
>
> This is a pretty simple menu, and I think it cries out for some sauces for the
> seafood. I'll skewer the shrimp, and weather permitting, we'll grill them and
> the salmon over charcoal, using just a bit of olive oil to keep them from
> sticking.
>
> I'd like sauces to serve on the side. I'm thinking one primarily for the
> salmon and a different one for the shrimp, although it will be fun if they can
> be "mix and match".
>
> Suggestions, anyone? One of our guests is a recovering alcoholic, so I don't
> want sauces that include wine or other alcoholic beverage. Also, I prefer
> sauces that can be pretty much made in advance.
>
> TIA
> Anny

Here you go. If you must have a sauce modify the following, & double the sauce
for both the shrimp and the salmon.

Don't worry all the alcohol goes away.

Dimitri

From Epicurious:

MARINATED SHRIMP WITH CHAMPAGNE BEURRE BLANC

The classic - and amazingly easy - French sauce made with butter and wine gets a
glamorous makeover with Champagne. Feel free to use less-expensive sparkling
wine for cooking, but keep the blanc de blancs flowing as an accompaniment.

Sauce base

2 cups Champagne or other dry sparkling wine
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Shrimp
1 cup Champagne or other dry sparkling wine
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
24 extra-large uncooked shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled with tail left intact,
deveined
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces

For sauce base:

Combine Champagne, shallots, vinegar, and peppercorns in heavy medium saucepan.
Boil until reduced to ¼ cup liquid, about 20 minutes. (Can be made 4 hours
ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
For shrimp:

Combine Champagne, olive oil, shallots, and ground pepper in resealable plastic
bag. Add shrimp to bag and seal; shake bag to coat shrimp evenly. Marinate
shrimp at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour, turning bag
occasionally. Mix chives, tarragon, and parsley in small bowl.
Preheat broiler. Spray broiler pan with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Drain
shrimp; discard plastic bag with marinade. Arrange shrimp on prepared pan in
single layer. Broil shrimp until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per
side. Stand 3 shrimp, tails upright, in center of each plate.
Re-warm sauce base over medium-low heat. Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, just
allowing each to melt before adding next (do not boil or sauce will separate).
Season beurre blanc to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon warm sauce around shrimp. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.
Market tip: Champagne and sparkling wines labeled extra dry are actually
slightly sweeter than those labeled brut. The latter works best for this dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yum - I want to be invited!

A few years back I had a gathering at my home. . .I had located some
nice "tail-on" pre-cooked shrimp, on sale at a local grocery store.

I had decided to use the shrimp as some kind of appetizer. What I
ended up doing was putting some crushed ice in a large crystal bowl,
throwing the shrimp (about 2 pounds of 'em), on top of the ice, toping
with lime slices and cilantro. Then I took tequilla with lime juice
added) and poured over the top of everything. . .I think it's called
Drunkin' Shrimp!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 12:54 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-05-02, > wrote:
>
> > with lime slices and cilantro. Then I took tequilla with lime juice
> > added) and poured over the top of everything. . .I think it's called
> > Drunkin' Shrimp!

> No, it's called ceviche.
>
> nb

Oh!. . .I thought ceviche started out with "raw" shrimp! These were
pre-cooked!

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-02, Myrl > wrote:

> Oh!. . .I thought ceviche started out with "raw" shrimp! These were
> pre-cooked!

So is my brain, this morning.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
t...
> This is a pretty simple menu,
> I'd like sauces to serve on the side. I'm thinking one primarily for the
> salmon and a different one for the shrimp, although it will be fun if they
> can be "mix and match".

Years ago I would have envisioned this in a Med style but today I would put
it in a Caribe/Yucatan package so here are my suggestions:

Orange chipotle glaze( very good on salmon)
Mint recado
Cilantro (or traditional Parsley) chimichurri or a cilantro pesto
Tamarind/Anchiote sauce
Coconut lime (with toasted shredded coconut and using key lime)
tropical fruit salsas (use your exotic fruits here) such as Pineapple,
mango, red onion, jalapeno( or serrano) or even grilled Pineapple salsa.
a nice garlic chile sauce and of course the classic garlic and oil
Guacamole
Maybe try a cerviche with the shrimp
Use some sugar cane skewers for the shrimp. make kabobs with your fruits,
Red Bells and onions

you can always use a romesco sauce if you want to stay Club-Med or
a thick dill yogurt sauce is also pretty good on grilled salmon with sliced
cukes in dill and lemon wedges on the side

> ... guests is a recovering alcoholic, so I don't want sauces that include
> wine or other alcoholic beverage. Also, I prefer sauces that can be
> pretty much made in advance.

I am curious if this is a really an addiction or is it a preception
problem, does anyone have professional info on it?
I have been taught that most the alcohol burns away

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2007-05-02, > wrote:
>
> > with lime slices and cilantro. Then I took tequilla with lime juice
> > added) and poured over the top of everything. . .I think it's called
> > Drunkin' Shrimp!

> No, it's called ceviche.

Not when you start with cooked shrimp like he did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anny Middon > wrote:

> Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with garlic
> and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs added), some
> veggies (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled zucchini)

Shrimps are better pan-fried with some garlic; no sauce is needed,
especially if served with that pasta. For salmon, no sauce is better
than sorrel one. Here is how the Troisgros brothers make it. Notice
that the recipe calls for some wine and vermout, but since the sauce is
going to be extremely reduced, practically no alcohol will be left.
Still, if there is some concern, leave out the wine and vermouth.

Here is the recipe for the sauce, to serve four, culled from the full
recipe for escalopes de saumon à l'oseille Troigros. I would add that
the first step can be done in advance; everything else should be done at
the last moment.

Victor

4 ounces fresh sorrel leaves, about 1 quart tightly packed
1 quart fish stock (fumet de poisson)
1/3 cup Sancerre, or other dry white wine
2 shallots, chopped
1 2/3 cups crème fraîche
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 lemon
Coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper, preferably white

1. Put the fish stock, wine, vermouth, and shallots together in a large
heavy saucepan or casserole and, over high heat, boil down the liquid
until it is bright and syrupy and reduced nearly to a glaze.

2. Add the crème fraîche and boil until the sauce becomes slightly
thickened.

3. Drop the sorrel into the sauce and cook together for just 25
seconds, then remove from the heat. Swirling the casserole, or stirring
with a wooden spoon (do not use a whisk, as it will catch on the sorrel
leaves), incorporate the butter, cut into tiny pieces. Complete the
seasoning with a few drops of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anny Middon wrote:
> We're having some friends over for dinner soon, and I'm planning the
> menu. My plan so far is this:
>
> Appetizers -- crackers with cream cheese and green tomato jam, some
> kind of roasted nut mixture, some interesting olives.
>
> Salad -- mixed green salad with creamy mustard vinaigrette
>
> Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with
> garlic and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs
> added), some veggies (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled
> zucchini)
>
> Dessert -- strawberry tart
>
> I'll bake some bread or rolls, too.
>
> This is a pretty simple menu, and I think it cries out for some
> sauces for the seafood. I'll skewer the shrimp, and weather
> permitting, we'll grill them and the salmon over charcoal, using just
> a bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking.
>
> I'd like sauces to serve on the side. I'm thinking one primarily for
> the salmon and a different one for the shrimp, although it will be
> fun if they can be "mix and match".
>
> Suggestions, anyone? One of our guests is a recovering alcoholic, so
> I don't want sauces that include wine or other alcoholic beverage.
> Also, I prefer sauces that can be pretty much made in advance.
>
> TIA
> Anny

How about just plain old teriyaki? It would work for both.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-02, Anny Middon > wrote:

> Suggestions, anyone?

It's asparagus season and asparagus is perfect with salmon. This
salmon with asparagus sauce recipe is a perennial favorite . The
sauce can be made in advance and slowly reheated to serving temp.
Stir often while reheating.

http://tinyurl.com/2lwfac

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> > Main course -- grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, angel hair pasta with garlic
> > and herbs (this is like aglio olio, but with fresh herbs added), some
> > veggies (probably steamed sugar snap peas and grilled zucchini)

> Shrimps are better pan-fried with some garlic; no sauce is needed,
> especially if served with that pasta.

That depends on how well you can pan fry them compared to how well you can
grill them. I often have grilled shrimp and they are fantastic, much better
IMO than pan fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > Here is the recipe for the sauce, to serve four, culled from the full
> > recipe for escalopes de saumon à l'oseille Troigros. I would add that
> > the first step can be done in advance; everything else should be done at
> > the last moment.

> The sauce sounds outstanding!

It is a classic. There is a similar recipe from Michel Guérard's
_Cuisine Minceur_ I posted before. It is somewhat different in that it
includes mushroom purée. See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/42e2bb9c39c008cd>.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Shrimps are better pan-fried with some garlic; no sauce is needed,
> > especially if served with that pasta.

> That depends on how well you can pan fry them compared to how well you can
> grill them. I often have grilled shrimp and they are fantastic, much better
> IMO than pan fried.

If one wants to cook them with garlic, grilling is out.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> > That depends on how well you can pan fry them compared to how well you can
> > grill them. I often have grilled shrimp and they are fantastic, much better
> > IMO than pan fried.

> If one wants to cook them with garlic, grilling is out.

I use a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper, Worcestershire
sauce, chopped parsley, ketchup and hot sauce and lots of finely chopped
garlic. Shrimp cooks very quickly so the garlic doesn't get burnt and
bitter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

> I use a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper, Worcestershire
> sauce, chopped parsley, ketchup and hot sauce and lots of finely chopped
> garlic. Shrimp cooks very quickly so the garlic doesn't get burnt and
> bitter.

I do not much like marinated shrimp - I prefer them having their own
flavour, with a bit of garlic.

Victor