Marulira

Default recommendations needed for GE 12 speed stand mixer

I've decided that I finally need a stand mixer - my hand mixer is just
killing my arm.

I've looked at the KitchenAid mixers and they're absolutely wonderful
but for my needs a bit of an overkill. I cannot justify putting down
$160+ for a stand mixer that I may use once in two weeks at the most.
I saw the GE 12 speed stand mixer for $48 at WalMart. Anyone had any
experience with it?

Thanks,

PENMART01

(Marulira)
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: 15 Apr 2004 18:25:58 -0700
>

>I've decided that I finally need a stand mixer - my hand mixer is just
>killing my arm.
>
>I've looked at the KitchenAid mixers and they're absolutely wonderful
>but for my needs a bit of an overkill. I cannot justify putting down
>$160+ for a stand mixer that I may use once in two weeks at the most.
>I saw the GE 12 speed stand mixer for $48 at WalMart. Anyone had any
>experience with it?

Geeze, costs less than my Kitchenaid hand mixer... go for it, it'll do
everything the Kitchenaid stand mixer will do and for a whole lot less dough.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...6&sourceid=010
0000030900866602498

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmk

On 4/15/2004 9:25 PM, Marulira wrote:
> I've decided that I finally need a stand mixer - my hand mixer is just
> killing my arm.
>
> I've looked at the KitchenAid mixers and they're absolutely wonderful
> but for my needs a bit of an overkill. I cannot justify putting down
> $160+ for a stand mixer that I may use once in two weeks at the most.
> I saw the GE 12 speed stand mixer for $48 at WalMart. Anyone had any
> experience with it?
>
> Thanks,

What kind of baking do you plan to use this for? I looked it up in
Consumer Reports and they did not care for this model much but they
particularlly didn't like the kneading. For a less expensive model,
they preferred the Sunbeam Mixmaster ("A decent performer across the
board, with a detachable hand mixer.")

--
jmk in NC
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I've looked at the KitchenAid mixers and they're absolutely wonderful
>but for my needs a bit of an overkill. I cannot justify putting down
>$160+ for a stand mixer that I may use once in two weeks at the most.
>I saw the GE 12 speed stand mixer for $48 at WalMart. Anyone had any
>experience with it?

Two comments...

The KitchenAid will be working long after the GE is pusing up daisies,
and the 12 speed thing is bogus. It actually variable speed with
detents along the way. Not a bit better than slow, medium, fast.

But buy what you can afford and take care of it. It will serve you
well, unless the power is not sufficient for dough, if you're gonna make
dough.
Marulira

jmk > wrote in message >...
> On 4/15/2004 9:25 PM, Marulira wrote:
> > I've decided that I finally need a stand mixer - my hand mixer is just
> > killing my arm.
> >
> > I've looked at the KitchenAid mixers and they're absolutely wonderful
> > but for my needs a bit of an overkill. I cannot justify putting down
> > $160+ for a stand mixer that I may use once in two weeks at the most.
> > I saw the GE 12 speed stand mixer for $48 at WalMart. Anyone had any
> > experience with it?
> >
> > Thanks,

> What kind of baking do you plan to use this for? I looked it up in
> Consumer Reports and they did not care for this model much but they
> particularlly didn't like the kneading. For a less expensive model,
> they preferred the Sunbeam Mixmaster ("A decent performer across the
> board, with a detachable hand mixer.")

I would like to use it for kneading dough (I use my bread machine to
do that now). I'm looking for something under $100.

jmk

On 4/16/2004 4:01 PM, Marulira wrote:
> jmk > wrote in message >...
>
>>On 4/15/2004 9:25 PM, Marulira wrote:
>>
>>>I've decided that I finally need a stand mixer - my hand mixer is just
>>>killing my arm.
>>>
>>>I've looked at the KitchenAid mixers and they're absolutely wonderful
>>>but for my needs a bit of an overkill. I cannot justify putting down
>>>$160+ for a stand mixer that I may use once in two weeks at the most.
>>>I saw the GE 12 speed stand mixer for $48 at WalMart. Anyone had any
>>>experience with it?
>>>
>>>Thanks,

>>What kind of baking do you plan to use this for? I looked it up in
>>Consumer Reports and they did not care for this model much but they
>>particularlly didn't like the kneading. For a less expensive model,
>>they preferred the Sunbeam Mixmaster ("A decent performer across the
>>board, with a detachable hand mixer.")

> I would like to use it for kneading dough (I use my bread machine to
> do that now). I'm looking for something under $100.

Then you might want to look at the Sunbeam model mentioned above.

--
jmk in NC
PENMART01

> jmk

>>>What kind of baking do you plan to use this for? I looked it up in
>>>Consumer Reports and they did not care for this model much but they
>>>particularlly didn't like the kneading. For a less expensive model,
>>>they preferred the Sunbeam Mixmaster ("A decent performer across the
>>>board, with a detachable hand mixer.")

>> I would like to use it for kneading dough (I use my bread machine to
>> do that now). I'm looking for something under $100.

>Then you might want to look at the Sunbeam model mentioned above.

Unless one is handicapped no one needs any machine to knead the quantity of
dough of which those machines are capable... for one loaf definitely knead by
hand... the OP's ABM will also knead dough for one loaf as well if not better
than either of those machines... and neither of those machines can knead dough
for more than one loaf, they don't have the capacity. The Mixmaster type
machines are excellent for all other mixing operations.

Another consideration is that those who rely on a machine (any machine) to
knead dough will never develop a sense for how properly kneaded dough
progresses... and when small batches (for 1-2-3 loaves) are kneaded by machine
they tend to be over mixed, and the dough tends to over heat as well. When
kneading dough less is more.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

Cuisinart SM-55 5-1/2-Quart 12-Speed Stand Mixer, White [email protected] Wine 0 21-05-2009 12:02 PM
Artisan Mixer - Speed Settings [email protected] Cooking Equipment 2 14-07-2007 04:03 AM
Stand mixer limey General Cooking 3 15-07-2005 12:51 AM
Which KA stand mixer? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 06-07-2005 08:58 PM
Best stand mixer? GingerRose Baking 11 27-07-2004 03:05 PM