Behind Blue Eyes

Default Taco Bell Ripping off Soldiers in Kuwait

I work in Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and on
occasion, I am required to go on base in Arifjan. I noticed a new fast
food vendor recently: Taco Bell. This fast food restaurant chain is a
favorite among U.S. soldiers throughout the world. AAFES (Army and Air
Force Exchange Service) recognized this fact, and made it possible for
the soldiers assigned to Kuwait to indulge themselves, for a price...

In the U.S. Taco Bell's price for 1 taco is $0.69. In Arifjan, Kuwait,
you will pay $1.25 per hard taco and $1.45 per soft taco. A soldier can
buy a 10-taco value pack (hard tacos) for $11.50. If you want soft
tacos, tack on another $1.25 bringing the 10-taco tally to $12.75. This
only details the cost of tacos, but I can assure that every item on
their menu is as overpriced as the tacos.

This franchise is not a nice new air-conditioned Taco Bell franchise
restaurant. It is a trailer with a window out of which hungry
overcharged soldiers are served while standing in 130-degree heat. They
are served by Filipino "workers", who are nothing more than indentured
servants raking in an average salary of 150-300 dollars per month.

Other chain restaurants available to soldiers such as Hardee's,
Subway, Baskin Robbins, Pizza Inn, etc charge roughly the same as if
the soldiers were eating in the states. In some cases, the prices are
lower. What makes Taco Bell treat our soldiers in this manner?

As a former U.S. soldier, having been deployed abroad for 6 years, I
have found no lower life form than the one that takes advantage of U.S.
soldiers. Soldiers enjoy the Taco Bell product such that they gladly
pay the jacked up prices. It doesn't have to be this way.

For those who doubt my claim, I will gladly email the pictures I have
taken of the menu and the facility.

Thanks,

-Tom in Kuwait

Shawn Hirn

In article .com>,
"Behind Blue Eyes" > wrote:

> I work in Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and on
> occasion, I am required to go on base in Arifjan. I noticed a new fast
> food vendor recently: Taco Bell. This fast food restaurant chain is a
> favorite among U.S. soldiers throughout the world. AAFES (Army and Air
> Force Exchange Service) recognized this fact, and made it possible for
> the soldiers assigned to Kuwait to indulge themselves, for a price...
>
> In the U.S. Taco Bell's price for 1 taco is $0.69. In Arifjan, Kuwait,
> you will pay $1.25 per hard taco and $1.45 per soft taco. A soldier can
> buy a 10-taco value pack (hard tacos) for $11.50. If you want soft
> tacos, tack on another $1.25 bringing the 10-taco tally to $12.75. This
> only details the cost of tacos, but I can assure that every item on
> their menu is as overpriced as the tacos.
>
> This franchise is not a nice new air-conditioned Taco Bell franchise
> restaurant. It is a trailer with a window out of which hungry
> overcharged soldiers are served while standing in 130-degree heat. They
> are served by Filipino "workers", who are nothing more than indentured
> servants raking in an average salary of 150-300 dollars per month.
>
> Other chain restaurants available to soldiers such as Hardee's,
> Subway, Baskin Robbins, Pizza Inn, etc charge roughly the same as if
> the soldiers were eating in the states. In some cases, the prices are
> lower. What makes Taco Bell treat our soldiers in this manner?

If this issue concerns you, contact the owner of the Taco Bell in
question and ask.
Jimmy G

Did you ever consider the expense of transporting the products to the area?
I rather doubt that there's a great selection of tortilleria's in Kuwait!

Steve Pope

Jimmy G > wrote:

>Did you ever consider the expense of transporting the products to the area?
>I rather doubt that there's a great selection of tortilleria's in Kuwait!

And maybe it's got to be Halal since it's in an Islamic country.
That adds to the cost.

Steve
Behind Blue Eyes

These shipping costs o not affect the other fast food chains. There is
a variety of mexican restaurants in Kuwait, and I can buy old el paso
tortillas in a local grocery store.

Behind Blue Eyes

No. Pork is readily available on the base, and soldiers don't really
mind much about Islamic traditions.

Behind Blue Eyes

I have contacted 1800-TACO BELL, and they asked me for the store ID, so
that will be my next step. I'll keep posting my progress.